U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2009, 10:09 AM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times

Advertisements

Recently tried to get a refi and the appraisal came in way low. Argued with broker a little and I said since I paid for the appraisal, send it to me. After receiving the appraisal, the pictures (outside) were outdated (over 3 years old) and all the house details were wrong. The house siding had been upgraded, the roof had been replaced, additional bathroom added, new HVAC, etc - all missing from this 'updated' appraisal.

I called back the broker and told him his appraiser is a crook and said he just used the same appraisal as when we originally purchased the home. While on the phone, I 'walked' the broker through online sat. photos that clearly showed the new siding vs. old slate tiles. The appraiser's pictures showed green grass and leaves on trees. Broker checked with the appraiser who said his digital camera was broke. I said no way since the description (siding, HVAC, etc) was wrong. Broker said his appraiser was going to redo (and revisit) and the broker would follow up.

Broker now says his rework isn't complete but he's working on it. Beyond demanding for my appraisal fee back, should I file a complaint? If so, with who? Against broker or just appraiser?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM

596 posts, read 2,494,392 times
Wow...just...wow! I think I'd have to do both. Maybe the BBB? But I have no experience with those things so I'll let the experts answer. Good luck.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,542,177 times
Appraisers are obligated, under law, to meet the Standards published in the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP). Every state, district and territory has adopted the current edition USPAP as law. You can find this document at The Appraisal Foundation -

That being said, your appraiser appears to be guilty of violating the following:

Quote:
Standard Rule 1: Real Property Appraisal, Development

In developing a real property appraisal, an appraiser must identify the problem to be solved, determine the scope of work necessary to solve the problem, and correctly complete research and analyses necessary to produce a credible appraisal.

Standards Rule 1-1

In developing a real property appraisal, an appraiser must:
(b) not commit a substantial error of omission or commission that significantly affects an appraisal; and

(c) not render appraisal services in a careless or negligent manner, such as by making a series of errors that, although individually might not significantly affect the results of an appraisal, in the aggregate affects the credibility of those results.

Standard 2: Real Property Appraisal, Reporting

In reporting the results of a real property appraisal, an appraiser must communicate each analysis, opinion, and conclusion in a manner that is not misleading.
It appears that your appraiser did not do the necessary work to acquire the data needed to produce a credible report. He is in violation of several sections of USPAP, and a complaint should be filed with the state board of appraisers.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:56 AM

1,676 posts, read 6,333,376 times
You should definitely file a complaint against the appraiser.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:15 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
Appreciate the feedback and I'll keep everyone posted on the results.

Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages