Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 26,569 times

Advertisements

we have been waiting for our final loan approval. we are scheduled to close on March 7 but were recently told that we need to ask for an extension because the final loan approval has not been given. our loan officer keeps telling us not worry, to just be patient, these things happen all the time, and that the lenders are dealing with numerous loans, not just ours. I keep thinking, well if that's the case maybe we should take our business elsewhere. we were under the assumption that the last piece of information they needed was the appraisal report. However, they recently asked for more documents after they received the report. I was told today that we may have to move our closing date to the end of March. I asked about going through a larger, local bank and was told that larger banks may take longer. is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 04:37 AM

596 posts, read 2,876,701 times
I cant offer advice on this to you but I feel for you. I dont understand what it is that they could need that will take so long to get? When did you start this process?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
I'm waiting on closing too and we're waiting for the appraisal at this point. According to my lender, there have been tons of refis because of the very low rates so this has caused the banks to be really busy. I doubt you'd want to go to another bank as you'll have to start the whole process over again. Might as well stick it out since you're so far into it already. Just my opinion.

Good luck on closing. At this point I think all the hard stuff is out of the way so take a deep breath.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingpatiently View Post
we have been waiting for our final loan approval. we are scheduled to close on March 7 but were recently told that we need to ask for an extension because the final loan approval has not been given. our loan officer keeps telling us not worry, to just be patient, these things happen all the time, and that the lenders are dealing with numerous loans, not just ours. I keep thinking, well if that's the case maybe we should take our business elsewhere. we were under the assumption that the last piece of information they needed was the appraisal report. However, they recently asked for more documents after they received the report. I was told today that we may have to move our closing date to the end of March. I asked about going through a larger, local bank and was told that larger banks may take longer. is this true?
Make sure that you already have the ok from underwriting.Lots of times banks delay you especially if they are stalling when problems arise and they are looking for other loan programs that you are eligible for.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
It sounds like the LO is waiting on your clear to close so the lender can draw docs. He/she is telling the absolute truth about the volume that lenders are experiencing right now and the delays that it is causing. On top of that you have investors that are scrutinizing the heck out of every file so add another 24-48 hours for reviews. You have tie ups in funding so add 72 hours for the wire. Unfortunately I believe that these things are universal. I have a client that is signing the 28th, and it won't fund until the 9th or so because of all of the new reviews, the turn times due to volume, and the delay in the funding wires. If you have provided all of the documentation you have been asked for, and are simply waiting on the underwriter to sign off on the conditions then just be patient. Moving the file to a different lender at this point will only add further delays as the other lender will have to start at square one (including the appraisal, a lender cannot use someone else's appraisal).

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 26,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
When did you start this process?
we started the last week of January.

Thanks for the word of support. I talked to someone from another bank and they said they could get our final approval faster. I'm going to talk in to talk in person with this individual today and see if they can offer a faster response time.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:30 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Same deal here, with the same reason given by the loan officer as well.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:31 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times
Of course they'll tell you anything for you to switch to them! What guarantee can they offer that they'll be able to close faster than your current lender? Have them put it in writing.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:37 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Of course they'll tell you anything for you to switch to them! What guarantee can they offer that they'll be able to close faster than your current lender? Have them put it in writing.
I have to second this. The second lender will have to start the file from scratch, so everything your original lender has already done the new lender will have to do again. Not saying don't talk to them, just take their words with a grain of salt.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddys///M3 View Post
It sounds like the LO is waiting on your clear to close so the lender can draw docs. He/she is telling the absolute truth about the volume that lenders are experiencing right now and the delays that it is causing. On top of that you have investors that are scrutinizing the heck out of every file so add another 24-48 hours for reviews. You have tie ups in funding so add 72 hours for the wire. Unfortunately I believe that these things are universal. I have a client that is signing the 28th, and it won't fund until the 9th or so because of all of the new reviews, the turn times due to volume, and the delay in the funding wires. If you have provided all of the documentation you have been asked for, and are simply waiting on the underwriter to sign off on the conditions then just be patient. Moving the file to a different lender at this point will only add further delays as the other lender will have to start at square one (including the appraisal, a lender cannot use someone else's appraisal).
A lender CAN use anothers appraisal if it is within the time frame for the same type of loan.(FHA to FHA,Conv to Conv;but not VA to Conv.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages