U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real estate lawyer: inspection services, septic tank, termite inspection, appraisal, FHA loan

Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 AM

596 posts, read 2,494,037 times

Advertisements

Should we get a real estate lawyer in the town we're moving to, or the town we're in now? Are there pros and cons?

What other inspection services do you guys recommend we get in this purchase, outside of those required for the purchase? From what I understand, we are only required to have the home inspected and appraised, right? Or is it just the appraisal...I forget.

The house has a septic tank, and has also just had a "damp wall" repaired. These two things (especially as a pair) concern me because I want to know a) was the damp wall created by anything leaking from the septic area (gross) and b) I know nothing about septic tanks and how often they have to be pumped out etc, and I wouldnt have a clue if anything was wrong with one. Do you think we should have a septic tank company give us some kind of inspection?

I dont want to end up moving into the house and then have huge money-pit problems. In general, what troups can I call in now, before everything is written in stone, to tell me precisely what condition of a house we're dealing with?

My thoughts were to have it inspected for termites and other creepy crawlers. Either the LO or the R.E. Agent told us that we'll learn about any problems there from the appraiser (or inspector, I forget which!). But I did tell her I have a thing about bugs, and it would put my mind at ease if I had a bug person come and give it a thorough once over. (Lord help me if I didnt, and later learned I had a million families of black widows or brown recluse spiders living in my attic, or termites in my basement).

Give me your horror stories or those of your clients/friends/family, and I will take that experience (as will other readers) and use it to protect myself from that happening to me by fending off issues before they happen.

Last edited by jctx; 02-24-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM

835 posts, read 3,527,258 times
Your lender will require the appraisal and nothing else unless you are doing an FHA loan then they may require more.

If a resale I would recommend a thorough property inspection, along with complete pest inspection. Your offer should be written with a maximum $$ amount of repairable items. For example the inspection items will not exceed $5k in value, seller still has to do them but this keeps you confident that its still a good house.

Also, remember your paying this person a few hundred dollars, they are going to make sure they find a page and a half of stuff to justify their fee. Don't freak out about it just analyze it objectively to determine the severity.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:46 PM

Yes, our contract had 5k where if any repairs were over that amount it gives us cause to back out of the deal (although we wouldnt, I dont think). But just to clarify, the sellers would have to pay for those costs of repairs?

Other than inspection and pest inspection, any other recommendations or do you think this is pretty much it?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 PM

87 posts, read 347,684 times
Usually the contract says that whatever you are unhappy with, you can ask the seller to repair, otherwise you have the option to rescind your offer. Basically most sellers will do reasonable repairs at their cost as just about any buyer will ask for them.

Our home required a normal inspection, termite inspection, and radon testing. If you have a septic or well water I believe there are additional inspections required. Either way you should have a good reputable company (usually 1 can take care of it all) do the inspection from which you will get a detailed report of everything on the property. If you can be there for the inspection so that the inspector can point out things to you. If there are anything major in those inspections that the seller refuses to repair, you will then have to consider whether you want to move forward with your offer.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 AM

Thank you. The R.E. Agent said she would go to the house to meet the inspector since we are buying out of our area. Do you think I should get myself there instead? Does the R.E. Agent have to let us both in? I could use the opportunity to gather some measurements and take some photos, etc, too. Seems like a good opporunity for me to do my own personal 'inspection' in more detail than before we put in the offer.

I will see if I can find someone to do all of these inspections. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or