U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 AM

32 posts, read 83,333 times

Advertisements

My family will be moving from Anchorage, AK to Colorado Springs, CO. My wife won't be working once we get there--she's pregnant & will stay home with our kid(s)--we make about 90K gross a year now and that will be dropping to around 60K with her not working.

They will be basing my loan on past 2 years of tax docs, pay stubs, etc but that will be drastically changing. How does that work? Should I get pre-approved while still in Anchorage?

We are first-time home buyers & I'm active military...no debt & decent savings $ in IRAs & other investments & a credit score around 745. We don't have the cash for 20% down.

We will be in the house 4-8 years (I can retire in 8 more) and will probably move back to the east coast to be closer to aging family. What would be the best kind of loan for a shorter-term in the house?

Sorry my post is kind all over the place...we are a little scared/confused. We've been renting the last 12 years and have never thought about homebuying until now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 3,655,667 times
You need to let the lender know that your financial situation will be changing with the move and what your annual income will be.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:35 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,100,246 times
Your qualification will be based on your new income, I would not try to find a way around that. Being that you are active military I would look into a VA loan. Very competitive rates, doesn't require any money down, no monthly mortgage insurance, a very good program for active and discharged military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or