U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM

1,989 posts, read 3,847,524 times

Advertisements

....how will that affect how easy/hard it is to get a mortgage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,793,165 times
Well, it wouldn't be ALL banks

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

82 posts, read 178,528 times
it wont get easier, can you say FHA?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,472,655 times
Hmm... nationalization, or continued propping up of zombie banks and shareholders with taxpayer money under the auspice that the market is "free".

To the anti-nationalization folks I say: The failure of just one large instituion, Lehman Brothers, caused worldwide credit markets to sieze up and almost caused mass layoffs as major corporations and even states could not make payroll obligations (which they do so via short term debt). Now what do you think would happen if the top 4, 10, or 15 were all allowed to fail... as they most assuredly would? Sometimes I wish life were like a choose your own adventure book... where you could check what the outcome of the other choice would be... just so I could say "I told ya so". ;P

This wouldn't be the biggest crisis since the Great Depression, this would be the second Great Depression. Give up the ghost and nationalize the failing banks... it would be far more efficient and faster to do so and re-privatize them in the future than it is to continue to limp them along as zombies.

Considering most mortgages are "conforming mortgages" that end up bought by Fannie and Freddie (government controlled), I doubt the difficulty or availability of a mortgage would change at all. The illusion right now is believing that these banks could survive without government money... as such... what is nationalization other than calling a duck a duck?

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; 03-03-2009 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages