U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:16 AM

7,525 posts, read 14,549,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
How common is it for an appraisal to come in significantly higher than the loan amount?
I rarely hit the loan amount. It is higher as often as it is lower.

Quote:
Do appraisers always know what the loan amount is in advance?
No.....we have to have the sales contract to review for concessions, but actual loan amounts are irrelevant to our process.

Quote:
How common is it for a purchaser of a resale home to hire an independant appraiser?
Rarely......which is really kind of sad.....a lot of people underwater would not be there if they had had a clear idea of the actual value of their house or investment.

Quote:
Can the independant inspector help give the purchasers any insight into the value of the home outside of what areas of the home need some repair, can they give an estimate on the cost of these things in their report?
I'm not an inspector, I'm an appraiser. But if I had things identified as a problem I would get a contractor specializing in that area to provide me with a quote. If your inspector knows roofing prices, do you expect him to also know AC or Plumbing or Foundation jacking?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:32 AM

596 posts, read 2,495,609 times
Goodpasture, the part about the inspector not knowing the cost of repairs for various areas of the home seems logical, I was just hopeful.

So ultimately, whatever negative items an inspector comes back with on a home, purchasers need to hire that type of servicer to provide an estimate on the cost of repairs? That seems very expensive as I'm sure there could be a variety of servicers that may need to be hired for estimates...unless they do this for free in hopes that they are hired for the repairs. And these issues are only good for negotiating down the price, right?

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM

544 posts, read 1,994,126 times
Appraisers and realtors check out what other homes in the area are selling for also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or