U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 PM

14 posts, read 83,878 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a house, had to pay for an appraiser to secure a loan. What a coincidence!!! The appraisal came out EXACTLY what I'm paying for the house!
Do they know in advance from the loan officer (or title company) what the selling price is? I've heard of this happening before....what do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,485,247 times
Yeah I'm thinking it is a scam. They know the value before they go into it and I've never heard them being far off the mark, heh.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,546,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikky77 View Post
I'm buying a house, had to pay for an appraiser to secure a loan. What a coincidence!!! The appraisal came out EXACTLY what I'm paying for the house!
Do they know in advance from the loan officer (or title company) what the selling price is? I've heard of this happening before....what do you think?
Yes, the loan officer tells the appraiser how much they need to make the deal work and yes there are appraisers (still) who will break the law and "hit the number."

FWIW, those of us who consider appraising a profession worth pursuing turn such appraisals over to the state appraisal board and do our best to remove them from the ranks of the certified and licensed.

If you are serious about finding out the truth, hire an appraiser to review it. See what the problem is with the appraisal. It could very well be that the house is worth exactly what you paid for it. It could also be that the appraiser illegally hit the number.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,323,197 times
Smile Price of home

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikky77 View Post
When the appraisal is ordered, the purchase contract is sent at the same time. The appraiser must take into consideration any seller concessions, etc.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,323,197 times
Smile Declining markets

If the home is located in what we call a declining market, the lender will carefully review the appraisal.

The lender may actually ask for a desk review or do a second appraisal if there is any doubt.

If you are dealing with an honest broker on a refinance, the appraiser is not informed of the number needed but in my office, we wait for it to come back.
It is what it is.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 PM

2,717 posts, read 6,292,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
When the appraisal is ordered, the purchase contract is sent at the same time. The appraiser must take into consideration any seller concessions, etc.
Yes, FNMA requires us to analyse the contract.

Personally, I don't pay attention to what the contract price is but, as Goodpasture pointed out, there ARE appraisers who "make it work".

Of course, it could also have been a pure coincidence because the realtor priced the property right.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM

5,293 posts, read 20,709,725 times
I had one situation where I was the buyer and the appraiser knew who I was and felt he owned me so he actually called me and asked what I wanted it to appraise for... when I questioned him he said he had 15% to work with and was ready to help. I told him a number and he used it.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:42 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,020,228 times
I once had an appraiser appraise the wrong unit. Twice. Shockingly they all hit the same appraised value even though they varied in terms of how well kept they were, where they were in a complex and that one had about a quarter of a mile of march view the others didn't. That experience stripped me of any illusions I might have in terms of carefully renderred appraisals. I told the mortgage people (BAC no less) and they said not to worry. Nice???

Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM

23 posts, read 177,852 times
Similar thing happened to me as well. I purchased my home last year for $163,500, which was ~$25K under the asking price; it was a distressed sale. I figured that I was getting a heck of a deal and hoping that the appraisal would come back showing it was worth between $180K and $190K, so that my LTV ratio would be closer to 80% (and the PMI could be cancelled sooner). Well, the appraisal somehow came back to within $500 of what I paid for the house, thus not helping my LTV at all.

Funny thing is, the state assessed the house at $187,000; therefore, I get to pay more taxes on it. It's too bad appraisers and assessors don't use the same figure because I've been feeling like I'm getting shafted (paying higher taxes because of assessed value, while my LTV remains high because of the appraised value).

I also tried to appeal my assessed value in hopes of reducing taxes. I used the appraisal report to try and help my cause, however, the district board of assessors felt I got a really good deal and would not change the assessed value (thus making it sound like the appraiser was wrong in his appraisal).

Currently, after one year of owning the house, I'm in the process of refinancing which required another appraisal. Somehow, the new appraised value of the house shows an increase of $1,000 (to $165K), whereas all other houses in our area are dropping in value by ~10%. Also, our assessed value from the state went down by $12K. Makes me wonder what the true value of our house last year should have been...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:19 AM

596 posts, read 2,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What do you mean when you say this? **disclaimer: if it is entirely obvious and I'm missing it, I havent had enough coffee yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or