U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 10:01 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,286,489 times

Advertisements

The only way in which mortgage interest can be deducted on federal taxes is by itemizing deductions, right?

If I itemize deductions I'll probably only end up with about $5,000, at most, so it's more beneficial for me to take the standard deduction of $11,400. I only pay about $2,200 in mortgage interest annually.

I'm thinking about this b/c everyone talks about deducting the interest they pay on their home, or essentially, getting upwards of 1/3 of that money back when filing a federal return.

My original thought process was that I might get $400 or so of the $2,000 mortgage interest I paid in back when filing my federal return. Looks like that won't apply to me since I should be taking the standard deduction (if I'm correct).

Note: this for 2009 return, not the 2008 return, which I've already filed.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM

10,706 posts, read 20,126,250 times
Yes you're correct people are idiots. And so are Realtors for perpetuating the myth. Although in my case I have a lot of other deductions as a transportation industry worker so it works in my favor. But unless you pay a lot of interest a year it doesn't help you, and even if it does what sense does it make to pay $1 and get $0.25 back???

Old 03-07-2009, 08:38 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
If you only have that amount of course not but many have alot more interest;especailly in the first years of a mortgage;plus other deductions to file long form.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,839,397 times
You are correct. Nobody gets 1/3 of the money back. People look at the total itemized deduction but they should look at the itemized minus the standard deduction then multiply by tax rate to see actual savings.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
The only way in which mortgage interest can be deducted on federal taxes is by itemizing deductions, right?

If I itemize deductions I'll probably only end up with about $5,000, at most, so it's more beneficial for me to take the standard deduction of $11,400. I only pay about $2,200 in mortgage interest annually.
With $2,200 of annual interest I assume that your mortgage payments are around $185 / month. That is very low.

I have had mortgage payments that were $1,500 / month [ie $17,500 interest per year], and I have friends whose mortgage payments are around $4,000 / month [ie $47,000 interest per year]

You sir, have an amazingly low mortgage payment.

Quote:
... I'm thinking about this b/c everyone talks about deducting the interest they pay on their home, or essentially, getting upwards of 1/3 of that money back when filing a federal return.

My original thought process was that I might get $400 or so of the $2,000 mortgage interest I paid in back when filing my federal return. Looks like that won't apply to me since I should be taking the standard deduction (if I'm correct).

Note: this for 2009 return, not the 2008 return, which I've already filed.

Thanks for any help
yes

Old 03-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You are correct. Nobody gets 1/3 of the money back. People look at the total itemized deduction but they should look at the itemized minus the standard deduction then multiply by tax rate to see actual savings.
Some people who itemize do so and manage to get all of their with-held taxes back.

So when all said and done, they will have paid zero income taxes. Because they have no tax liability.

It hinges largely upon having a lot of deductions.

Over 28% of American households pay no income taxes.

I did not pay income taxes from 1983 until 2007, I itemized and I have had no tax obligation. Nothing was with-held form my checks and I paid nothing afterwards. An accounting error, messed us up for 2008, we have just had to pay $91 in income taxes. But we are looking into correcting the issue before 2009 tax season.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,286,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
With $2,200 of annual interest I assume that your mortgage payments are around $185 / month. That is very low.
Close, they are $292/mo. The remaining principle is about $53.5K at 4.75%.

Quote:
Close, they are $292/mo. The remaining principle is about $53.5K at 4.75%.

Quote:
I did not pay income taxes from 1983 until 2007, I itemized and I have had no tax obligation.
I'm not looking for deeply personal info, but would you mind sharing what some of your itemized deductions were that allowed you to have zero tax liability?

Old 03-08-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
... I'm not looking for deeply personal info, but would you mind sharing what some of your itemized deductions were that allowed you to have zero tax liability?
Line 12: Business income or (loss), Schedule C.
We usually have a Schedule C loss.

Line 17: Rental real estate or (loss), Schedule E.
We usually have a Schedule E loss.

Line 18: Farm income or (loss), Schedule F.
We usually have a Schedule F loss.

Line 26: Moving expenses, Form 3903.
During my AD career, we moved to a new home on average every 3 years. So we filed this often.

Using these we normally have been able to keep our AGI low. Some years a negative number even.

On Schedule A;
Line 1: Medical and dental expenses.
Even though my employer provided Medical coverage [with the best 6-week trained personnel available], we have always had medical expenses. Now on pension my medical expenses are even higher.

Line 6: Real estate taxes.
We have [and do] own real estate, so yes we pay property taxes.

Line 7: Personal property taxes.
Every state that we have lived in, has had taxes on our vehicles.

Line 10: Home mortgage interest.
We never use this one. Our mortgages have all been for Apartment buildings that we collect. However most homeowners can try to use this.

Line 15: Gifts by cash or check to Charity.
We always use this write-off.

Line 19: Casualty or theft loss.
Rarely, but a few times we have used this.

Line 20: Unreimbursed employee expenses—job travel, union
dues, job education, etc, Form 2106.
We usually have uniform, commuting, and convention expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or