Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,792 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of buying a house this year, but our apartment lease won't be up until Nov 30. (Which also happens to be the cutoff date for closing in order to qualify for the $8000 tax credit.)

We plan on buying a house this fall and planning the close for the middle of November. I've read a few threads about people saying their closing date was pushed back. How common is this?

If we planned to close mid November, we would be screwed if it got "pushed back" to past Nov 30. (And without qualifying for the tax credit, we would probably wait to buy for another year or so. The tax credit is what is convincing us to buy this year.)

I'm also concerned that there willl be a big crush of buying going on that month, so everyone will be backed up. Is this a valid concern?

How late can we safely plan on closing without missing the cutoff for the credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
On my first house I purchased it went smoothly and the closing date was not pushed back. I'm now buying a second home and it's been pushed back twice already. This house is a foreclosure so I understand it's a little bit more complicated. You could add into your contract a contingency that you close on a certain date or penalties awarded in your favor. The seller may not appreciate it and pass over your offer for another with no such contingency though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages