U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 28,562 times
Default Is this charging a loan origination and loan discount normal?

Is it normal to charge both a lona discount fee and loan origination fee? arent they the same????Also, my broker is charge me another .25 to the loan origination saying its a referral fee to some guy I dont even know???????why should i pay a referral fee shouldnt this come out of their own commission?? I was a realtor and when another realtor gives you a refferal you pay the refferal out of your commission you dont ask you client to pay it. I dont get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 PM

3,023 posts, read 5,316,809 times
It is not unusual and no, they are not the same thing. The loan discount is a prepaid interest amount loaded into the loan package for the investor. The origination fee is an incentive to the broker doing the loan packaging to increase the lender compensation.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,357,457 times
To elaborate on what the previous poster said, the loan discount fee is a fee charged to buydown the interest rate. It is not broker compensation and it is illegal for a broker or correspondent lender to charge a discount point that does not directly buy down the rate and instead further compensates the loan originator. The origination fee is just that, a fee for originating the loan. This would be the broker's compensation.

I would question him about the referral fee. With few exceptions, it is illegal for a loan officer to pay a referral fee. This is a violation of RESPA Section 8 and can incur some pretty serious penalties. Obviously a much different ball game than real estate agent to agent referral fees.

RESPA'S statutes explained: consumer protections and prohibited practices

Section 8: kickbacks, fee-splitting, unearned fees

Section 8 of RESPA prohibits anyone from giving or accepting a fee, kickback or any thing of value in exchange for referrals of settlement service business involving a federally related mortgage loan. In addition, RESPA prohibits fee splitting and receiving unearned fees for services not actually performed.
Violations of Section 8's anti-kickback, referral fees and unearned fees provisions of RESPA are subject to criminal and civil penalties. In a criminal case a person who violates Section 8 may be fined up to $10,000 and imprisoned up to one year. In a private law suit a person who violates Section 8 may be liable to the person charged for the settlement service an amount equal to three times the amount of the charge paid for the service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages