Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 PM

666 posts, read 1,843,506 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the details around the HomePath Mortgage Financing Program that is offered by Fannie Mae for their homes?

HomePath Financing (http://www.fanniemae.com/homepath/financing/index.jhtml - broken link)

I can only find some very high level details about the program. It seems to have been created for people who normally wouldn't qualify for a more traditional mortgage. In other words, it seems to be part of the problem of why the real estate market is in the current state.

The part I'm most interested in is the part that states "no mortgage insurance". What are the stipulations around this? Do they increase the interest rate?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM

180 posts, read 694,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
Does anyone know the details around the HomePath Mortgage Financing Program that is offered by Fannie Mae for their homes?

HomePath Financing (http://www.fanniemae.com/homepath/financing/index.jhtml - broken link)

I can only find some very high level details about the program. It seems to have been created for people who normally wouldn't qualify for a more traditional mortgage. In other words, it seems to be part of the problem of why the real estate market is in the current state.

The part I'm most interested in is the part that states "no mortgage insurance". What are the stipulations around this? Do they increase the interest rate?

Thanks!
They are trying to rid themselves of assets, so they are willing to take on more risky clients in order to do so.

No mortgage insurance because they are self insuring. It's a really good program if you can find a home that qualifies.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Thanks. I just haven't been able to find much info or any opinions on this program. We put an offer in on a house that qualifies for this program. We've secured conventional financing approval, but this sounds like an attractive way to go.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:56 AM

There is not much information out on the net on this program. In case anyone else is interested in this program, the most detailed info I've found is here:

HomePath Financing for Fannie Mae REOs

I will post back my experiences after going through the pre-approval process.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:31 PM

I finally found someone who could give me some answers and a GFE for a HomePath mortgage. With average => good credit you pay a 1% origination fee and a 2.5% discount fee in addition to normal closing costs. If you have excellent credit, you can eliminate the origination fee, but still must pay the 2.5% discount fee. The interest rate was a bit higher than conventional or FHA, but not by much.

So, while there do appear to be some benefits for some people, it requires some significant upfront costs which I assume some of the less qualified buyers will roll in to the mortgage.

Anyway, if you are buying a Fannie Mae owned foreclosure and it qualifies for this program, its worth a look, but for me the numbers didn't work out.

Hope this can help someone else out who may be looking for info.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 7,717 times
I'm trying to buy one now. I have great credit and a 40% down payment, they are forcing me to pay a higher mortgage rate stating that it is income property, even though I'm going to be living in it as primary residence. The program states that you are eligible for up to a $10,000 fine for using it as a rental property, so if I sign the papers, I'm not only committing perjury, I'd be paying a higher rate and subject to fine. They've been jacking me around for weeks. The program states you can use your own loan but they stated they would decline to accept my offer if I did (and I already had a pre-approved loan from my credit union.) I'd steer clear of these -- there's something screwy about them. The paperwork from the bank states that "the banks do as they please and if you don't have the stomach for it, do not submit an offer."

Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiatgirl View Post
I'm trying to buy one now. I have great credit and a 40% down payment, they are forcing me to pay a higher mortgage rate stating that it is income property, even though I'm going to be living in it as primary residence. ...
Why does your lender think it is going to be income property? Fannie Mae requires that you sign a statement that it will be owner occupied (that's where the $10K fine comes in if not true). If you don't sign it, then you are considered an investment property buyer.

You then stated that you would be committing perjury by signing the occupancy statement - so which is it, investment property or primary residence?

If you want a Homepath loan, then you need to work with a lender that is part of the Homepath program. Homepath loans will have higher rates than other conventional loans.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:41 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post

Thanks!
Yes, the interest rate is higher but the more $$ down the lower it gets. We are closing on a Homepath home but went with FHA. Right now Homepath has a deal (expires Oct. 31) for 3.5% toward your closing and an agent bonus of $1200. We were able to get the 3.5% closing and bonus for the agent.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:43 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Yes, the interest rate is higher but the more $$ down the lower it gets. We are closing on a Homepath home but went with FHA. Right now Homepath has a deal (expires Oct. 31) for 3.5% toward your closing and an agent bonus of $1200. We were able to get the 3.5% closing and bonus for the agent.
They have extended this deal many times now. If you are reading this after the expiration date of Oct 31, 2011 - check to see if they extended it again.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They have extended this deal many times now. If you are reading this after the expiration date of Oct 31, 2011 - check to see if they extended it again.
I'm sure they will. Surprisingly the market for larger/modest upscale pool homes in Surprise is hot. We viewed 15-20 homes the past month or so and all are under contract now. Some of the better homes are lasting 3-4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages