U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2009, 01:38 AM

220 posts, read 620,843 times

Advertisements

The home inspection revealed some required repairs such as some added electrical wiring not to code and furnace piping connections not to code. These are minor repairs I can do myself, but if I hired professionals it could cost ~$2k. Could I ask the bank to kick in $2k on closing costs to offset repairs? or is there no chance since it is "as is"? My only thought is that these are safety related repairs, not just a broken window or something. Anyone have luck getting repair costs on a "as is"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,943,312 times
"As-is" means just that.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:14 AM

21,720 posts, read 37,184,337 times
ZugZub is correct. Essentially REOs are listed "as is" -- odds are great the lender has ALREADY lost a ton of money on them, why would they dig a deeper hole???

While I suppose you could ask, the delays that might be triggered as they try to find to someone that REALLY can answer the question are probably not worth the hassle it would bring to your deal...

I don't mind to offend to you, but I tell everyone shopping for REO, or other property in distress, that will these can be good values for folks who understanding they are NOT "shopping retail" these are NOT "bargains".

Like when you go to a regular store and you see something "on sale" it often comes with some kind of guarantee, and even if they say "no refunds" they will probably exchange it if the item is damaged.

REOs are not like that AT ALL. If anything is NOT RIGHT it is 100% on the buyer. Essentially the store is in "final liquidation mode". They will close shop and there is no more "refund and exchange desk" what so ever!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM

17 posts, read 26,700 times
Exactly, if it is listed As-Is, do not expect any concessions from the bank. What you should do is take in consideration of the needed repairs and submit your offer accordingly. For the most part, when a home is listed as bank owned, the list price accounts for repairs and the desire to sell in 90 days. Look at the property as if it was in good condition, not needing any repairs, what would the house be worth then.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:21 AM

We sent out a form to the bank and will see how it goes. These are not noticable items in need of repair, but rather hidden faulty electrical and gas installations that could only be revealed during inspection not a walk through. There are other obvious items that need repair, but we did not list them. We only listed items that could result in the house burning down.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,519,015 times
I've seen shows where banks listed it "as is," and the banks went ahead and fixed it. I'm guessing they run an analysis to see how much it will cost them if the house stays on the market longer. Besides, if you back out, it's likely that others will too, so they might as well fix it now.

The worse that can happen is they say no and you're no worse off.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM

5,145 posts, read 3,978,173 times
If it's a safety issue the bank may indeed relent on some concessions. However I would not expect full concession. Good luck.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 AM

We heard back from the bank and they are going to pay $2k in closing costs for repairs. We did not even give them a value amount, they came up with the $2k number which is a good deal for us!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM

5,154 posts, read 9,519,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
We heard back from the bank and they are going to pay $2k in closing costs for repairs. We did not even give them a value amount, they came up with the $2k number which is a good deal for us!
It never hurts to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages