Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:16 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,519,416 times

Advertisements

I got in at 4.25 and no points recently but that was on a 15 year refinance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 10:11 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,654,161 times
Has anyone been able to reduce their existing mortgage rate with BOA? Someone said that if you ask for a reduced rate (with good credit & payment history) that some banks would rather reduce your interest rate than have you refinance with someone else. Refinancing is expensive so we would much rather negotiate with the bank but can't find the decision maker.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:44 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,631,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Has anyone been able to reduce their existing mortgage rate with BOA? Someone said that if you ask for a reduced rate (with good credit & payment history) that some banks would rather reduce your interest rate than have you refinance with someone else. Refinancing is expensive so we would much rather negotiate with the bank but can't find the decision maker.
I doubt they would reduce their rates. Its possible what someone told you is if you re-fi through them, they will reduce your rates since you used them on the first mortgage loan. Regardless, its impossible to find someone to talk to at BOA that knows what the hell is going on.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

The interest rate reduction was mentioned on our local t.v. station as an alternative to refinanciing. Many would say exactly what you said but I know banks can reduce the credit card rate just for the asking if you are a good customer so why not on a residental loan? I wanted to put it out there to see whether anyone had already done it, and if not, maybe we should start telling the banks to have some respect for those of us who did live within our means. My husband should have retired already so paying for refinancing or paying for the higher rates is not a win-win for us. Shame on us for paying our bills. Maybe if enough people start to demand the rate reduction, it might happen.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:45 AM

220 posts, read 1,027,796 times
You can ask. Banks make tons of money on credit cards, even if they charged 0% they would make plenty off the merchants (up to 8%). Everyone should go back to writing checks (like my parents did when I was a kid) and put the credit card companies out of business.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 AM

I'm asking whether anyone has experience doing this as I heard that some banks will reduce the interest rate rather than have a paying customer leave for another institution. When I tried with the bank, I got lost in the telephone maze and could only reach the marketing department. The credit card companies/banks hike rates every time the wind changes direction so I know they can do it but they are keeping a well hidden secret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages