Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:12 PM

23 posts, read 51,549 times

Advertisements

Okay here is the situation. Wife and I are both active duty military. We currently live in Dayton, OH stationed at Wright Patterson AFB. We own a home that we purchased in 2006. We just received orders for Whiteman AFB, MO with a RNLTD of Nov 09. The loan on our home in Dayton is a VA loan and we have decided to rent the home out rather than sell it. The area is prime with lots of military looking to rent and even more coming this summer after a base closure in Texas.
So my question is would it be wiser to rent at Whiteman AFB, MO or buy. When I run the numbers our Debt to Income ratio comes to 0.31 if we for some reason we had no renter and had another mortgage payment of $1500 total. How can I find out if we can even qualify for having two mortgages? Annual income is about $120,000 both of us have VA entitlement so mine is on Dayton home, wife would use hers for Missourri home. Like I stated earlier with all debt to include Dayton Mortgage and new mortgage DTI comes to 0.31, most likely we would have a renter which would at least match our monthly mortgage on that home. How would I go about getting a preapproval so that Im not wasting my time house hunting only to find out we can’t get a loan anyway. We are scheduled to move between Sep – Nov 09. Just seems overwhelming to buy and easier to rent but I don’t want to miss out on a prime market for a buyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages