Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 PM

414 posts, read 911,511 times

Advertisements

As many different calculators on "how much house can I afford" I've seen is how many different and widely varied responses I've gotten! Maybe someone on here can give me a clearer picture...
Mary and John looking for a house...combined wage income of $150K/yr, no car loans, $500 student/credit card pymnts/month, RE taxes would be around $9500...looking for FHA with 3.5% down (around or less than $18K). Oh, and FICO scores low 700's and high 700's.
Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:45 PM

32 posts, read 84,348 times
Here is what I found, seems to be reasonable based on past experience with this type of calculations.

Definitions
Monthly income: Total monthly income from all sources. All income should be entered before taxes.
Monthly housing expenses: Your monthly housing expenses from the housing expenses worksheet. The items entered as housing expenses make up the taxes and insurance portion of your monthly housing payment.
Monthly liabilities: Your monthly liabilities from the liabilities work sheet. Your monthly liabilities are used to calculate your maximum monthly house payment.
Monthly housing payment (PITI): This is your total principal, interest, tax and insurance, or PITI, payment per month. This includes your principal, interest, real estate taxes, hazard insurance, association dues or fees and principal mortgage insurance, or PMI. Maximum monthly payment (PITI) is calculated by taking the lower of these two calculations:
  1. Monthly Income X 28% = monthly PITI
  2. Monthly Income X 36% - other loan payments = monthly PITI

Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
As many different calculators on "how much house can I afford" I've seen is how many different and widely varied responses I've gotten! Maybe someone on here can give me a clearer picture...
Mary and John looking for a house...combined wage income of $150K/yr, no car loans, $500 student/credit card pymnts/month, RE taxes would be around $9500...looking for FHA with 3.5% down (around or less than $18K). Oh, and FICO scores low 700's and high 700's.
Anyone?
If you do not know how much you can afford per month then you are probably not ready to buy a house. You should never purchase the max you can afford or the max the bank will lend. Figure out what your needs and your wants are then buy the cheapest house that meets all your needs.
Trust me you will be much happier with a lower mortgage payment.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I think the OP's question, actually, is how much mortgage they'll qualify for. I've found that online calculators are notoriously fickle and can give widely varying answers, even when the same information is input.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 PM

414 posts, read 911,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
I think the OP's question, actually, is how much mortgage they'll qualify for. I've found that online calculators are notoriously fickle and can give widely varying answers, even when the same information is input.
Exactly! Thank you, SBG!!
Maybe I misworded my question...I'm not looking for "how much house"; rather how much mortgage could/would M&J get approved for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages