U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM

608 posts, read 1,149,067 times

Advertisements

I am trying to get a USDA loan. The rules stipulate that you can not have had "accounts converted to collections in the past 12 months." My credit report shows that National Credit Systems opened the account on 10-2007, it was reviewed on 10-2008. The delinquency date is 10-2008, as is the date last active and the payment pattern start date.

I have the original letter from National Credit Systems dated Oct 22, 2007 saying the account was placed in their office for collections, and that I have 30 days to dispute. The debt ($168) wasn't paid because I never received a bill from my old apartment complex. All I wanted to see was a bill, which no one ever sent me. I then tried to send a good faith letter to NCS a few weeks ago saying I will pay the debt if you take it off my report, and didnt hear from them.

So I am losing a great loan over a $168 debt, which I have in my pocket.

So who is right? I read the letter to mean that it was put into collections in 2007 not 2008. My broker has been really good about this so far, but he is pretty much sticking firm with what he sees. Is this legal? disputable?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 06:31 AM

835 posts, read 3,528,843 times
It is absolutely legal. Guidelines can be anything they want as long as they are enforced equally to all parties applying for credit. This is not your broker it is the USDA guidelines so don't try switch brokers to get this through USDA- just tryiong to save you some time and heartache.

The real lesson here is you won the battle- didn't pay that money because they couldn't produce the bill. You lost the war because it is preventing you from buying a home. I tell all of my clients and ask them to share with friends- when someone calls about about past due bill it doesn't matter who is right or wrong- just pay it!!!!!! Fight to get your money back afterwards but don't let it go to collections because you don't think you owe it. If you would have paid this bill in 2007 that would have been the date of last activity and you would now be fine. You could have fought and if proven you were correct it would have been refunded and removed form your credit report.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or