Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Good luck with your special brand of economics--I got better things to do than teach you macro-econ.

Good luck to you -- but I feel there isnt much you can teach me but i am willing to listen. Maybe were we differ is I am smart enough to know that i dont know everything. When i speak with clients or give advice to a person, I dont look at the big picture, i focus on the client or the person asking for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
[quote=VictorBurek;11689053, I dont look at the big picture, .[/quote]

Obviously.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I have to give a shout out to sanity of people that LIKE ME AND VICTOR have choosen ARMs in the past.

I currently have a fixed rate mortage with 30 year term and a rate under five and a half percentage. I got into that FROM AN ARM that was higher by almost 1.5% It was not all that long ago that fixed rate mortgages were about DOUBLE where the ARMs were.

Of course it is STUPID to agree to any sort of financial decision you do not understand. CURRENTLY the discount for an ARM is not large enough that it makes sense to consider IN MOST CASES, and folks that ONLY qualify for an ARM are going out an shaky limb just BUYING any house so it is NOT the TERMS of the loan that will kill them SO MUCH AS the fact they are shopping for something they probably don't have the resources to comfortably afford.

For folks that CAN comfortably afford a home with a fixed mortgage AND HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE consequences of an ARM changing they can keep a TON of money in their pocket and if they have any brains at all they can use that money much better than a MORTGAGE LENDER...

Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM

1,673 posts, read 7,018,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have to give a shout out to sanity of people that LIKE ME AND VICTOR have choosen ARMs in the past.

I currently have a fixed rate mortage with 30 year term and a rate under five and a half percentage. I got into that FROM AN ARM that was higher by almost 1.5% It was not all that long ago that fixed rate mortgages were about DOUBLE where the ARMs were.

Of course it is STUPID to agree to any sort of financial decision you do not understand. CURRENTLY the discount for an ARM is not large enough that it makes sense to consider IN MOST CASES, and folks that ONLY qualify for an ARM are going out an shaky limb just BUYING any house so it is NOT the TERMS of the loan that will kill them SO MUCH AS the fact they are shopping for something they probably don't have the resources to comfortably afford.

For folks that CAN comfortably afford a home with a fixed mortgage AND HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE consequences of an ARM changing they can keep a TON of money in their pocket and if they have any brains at all they can use that money much better than a MORTGAGE LENDER...
I am with you. Not much benefit with ARMS right now but many lenders are offering rates under 4% for them. Currently a 30 yr fixed rate is around 4.75%.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:40 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Of course it is STUPID to agree to any sort of financial decision you do not understand.
Uh yeah.
Quote:
folks that ONLY qualify for an ARM are going out an shaky limb just BUYING any house so it is
Uh, yeah.
Quote:
For folks that CAN comfortably afford a home with a fixed mortgage AND HAVE A GOOD UNDERSTANDING OF THE consequences of an ARM
very few finance or accounting majors exist comparing to the number of average "joe blows."

Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
I'd suggest calculating ALL of your monthy expenses along with your payment schedule for your student loans and credit card debt. Your monthly housing expenses (mortgage, insurance, property taxes, utilities, HOA fees, planned maintanance..plan on it!, should figure to less than 1/3rd of your monthly net income. Ideally after all monthly obligations are paid for all other debt & living expenses (food, clothing,transportation, entertainment), one should be able to save 25% of his/her income.

You have a small window left with the extension of the Obama gift (from all taxpayers) of the up to $8,000.00 first time homebuyer rebate. This is instant home equity if used correctly, or it could pay off 50% of your student loans!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 PM

57 posts, read 205,267 times
If you are a member of the military, or an honorably discharged veteran, *or* the child or grandchild of a military officer, join USAA. They use Fannie Mae guidelines (PMI on less than 20%, 10% down required in declining markets, 5% possible in others) and have the lowest PMI in the private market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages