Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,292,739 times

Advertisements

How the tax code encourages debt : The New Yorker

I found this article a couple weeks ago. It talks about how the tax code encourages debt, and the article specifically touches on the issue of mortgage-iterest deduction.

Some excerpts:
Quote:
Individuals are able to write off all their mortgage interest, up to a million dollars...<snip>. This gives the system what economists call a “debt bias.” It encourages people to make smaller down payments and to borrow more money than they otherwise would, and to tie up more of their wealth in housing than in other investments.

Advocates of the mortgage-interest deduction, for instance, claim that it increases homeownership rates. But it doesn’t: in countries where mortgage deductions have been eliminated, homeownership rates haven’t dropped. Instead, the deduction simply inflates house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,993,490 times
I remember getting to write off ALL interest paid. Those were the days..

Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,378,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The "encourages home owership" argument is based on bad economic theory. Without the deduction, the price of homes would be lower by the amount of the benefit it provides to the homeowner. Home buyers are payment buyers. The real beneficiary is the mortgage lenders since the deduction encourages loans over cash purchases.
You got that right--at least in theory. I bought my house 25 years ago, so my loan is pretty low. I deduct very little interest now. The guy accross the street bought his about 4 years ago. He deducts much more interest than I do. So how come my house and his house sell for the same price? Your statement seems to indicate that his house should sell for a higher price. This confuses me. If the deduction were not allowed, how would it really affect the price of my house?????

Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM

40,920 posts, read 48,877,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
You got that right--at least in theory. I bought my house 25 years ago, so my loan is pretty low. I deduct very little interest now. The guy across the street bought his about 4 years ago. He deducts much more interest than I do. So how come my house and his house sell for the same price? Your statement seems to indicate that his house should sell for a higher price. This confuses me. If the deduction were not allowed, how would it really affect the price of my house?????
Yeah, I don't buy his argument. Loaning money on homes helps people get into a house which could increase demand.

A mortgage just makes a home available for more people to purchase.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,378,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, I don't buy his argument. Loaning money on homes helps people get into a house which could increase demand.

A mortgage just makes a home available for more people to purchase.
Having a tax deduction for mortgage interest may in fact increase the price of homes....but the increase is not equivalent to the value of the tax cut. I don't know what it is equivalent too....unfortunately, I am too lazy to do the primary research myself. Has anyone done it? Or read some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages