Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 8,185 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be applying for an FHA loan for a house (being sold as-is) we really love. We are going to be applying for the loan using non traditional credit. We haven't had an inspection done on the house yet, but I know the detached garage will not pass because it is in need of a new roof (wood and shingles). I have read that any problems found during inspection have to be repaired before the bank will put the loan through. Therefore, we would need to get an FHA 203k loan that would lend extra funds to have the repairs done within a few months after closing on the house. Unfortunately the lender we are working with does not do 203k loans using non traditional credit. Does anyone know of a lender that will do an FHA 203k loan using non traditional credit in the chicago land area? We have the money to repair the garage, but I do not want to put any money into the house unless I know for sure that we will be getting it. My other question is does anyone know whether or not we could set up an escrow account with the bank using our own money so that the bank could have a guarantee that the repairs will be made right after closing? In other words, we will give the bank the money needed to make the repairs and authorize them to pay the contractors directly. In theory this would be just like an FHA 203k loan, however the funds in the escrow account would have come out of our pockets but at least the bank would have the money in their hands.

I hope someone can help?

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 48,789 times
Issues related to the FHA appraisal would need to be remedied prior to approval in "Regular" FHA financing.

NEVER MAKE REPAIRS TO A PROPERTY YOU DO NOT OWN!!!

K is a great program. If you can find a lender to help you, it sounds like this would be your way to go.

What do you mean "Non Traditional Credit". There are still mortgage brokers out there committing mortgage fraud for the sake of making a deal. DO NOT let a lender push you into a fraud seem. People are going to prison for that now.

If you can't qualify for a mortgage using one of the many legitimate mortgage programs available, work on getting done what ever it takes to get you there.

Good Luck.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 AM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
An FHA buyer I had (in Dec.) purchased the home by escrowing 1.5 times the estimate to repair paint on exterior trim from a licensed and insured contractor. All the paperwork was sent to the underwriters and approved - in the contract amendment we put all terms of the escrow/repair agreement and then FHA approved the agreement pending there own standard escrow agreement that they use with the $ amounts time frames appropriate disbursements etc. filled in. There was a limit on how much could be escrowed based on sales price of home so if estimate for work is too much of a percentage to the best of my knowledge the program won't work.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric#1 View Post
An FHA buyer I had (in Dec.) purchased the home by escrowing 1.5 times the estimate to repair paint on exterior trim from a licensed and insured contractor. All the paperwork was sent to the underwriters and approved - in the contract amendment we put all terms of the escrow/repair agreement and then FHA approved the agreement pending there own standard escrow agreement that they use with the $ amounts time frames appropriate disbursements etc. filled in. There was a limit on how much could be escrowed based on sales price of home so if estimate for work is too much of a percentage to the best of my knowledge the program won't work.
HUD will allow this when the season prevents repair and the property is habitable as is.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Broker View Post
...What do you mean "Non Traditional Credit". ...
From the HUD handbook 4155.1 Sec. 2:

Neither the lack of credit history nor the borrower's decision not to use credit may be used as a basis for rejecting the loan application. We also recognize that some prospective borrowers may not have an established credit history. For those borrowers, and for those who do not use traditional credit, the lender must develop a credit history from utility payment records, rental payments, automobile insurance payments, or other means of direct access from the credit provider. The lender must document that the providers of non-traditional credit do, in fact, exist and verify the credit information. Documents confirming the existence of a non-traditional credit provider may include a public record from the state, county, or city records, or other means providing a similar level of objective confirmation. To verify the credit information, lenders must use a published address or telephone number for that creditor.

As an alternative, the lender may elect to use a non-traditional mortgage credit report developed by a credit-reporting agency, provided that the credit reporting agency has verified the existence of the credit providers and the lender verifies that the non-traditional credit was extended to the applicant. The lender must verify the credit using a published address or telephone number to make that verification.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
From the HUD handbook 4155.1 Sec. 2:

Neither the lack of credit history nor the borrower's decision not to use credit may be used as a basis for rejecting the loan application. We also recognize that some prospective borrowers may not have an established credit history. For those borrowers, and for those who do not use traditional credit, the lender must develop a credit history from utility payment records, rental payments, automobile insurance payments, or other means of direct access from the credit provider. The lender must document that the providers of non-traditional credit do, in fact, exist and verify the credit information. Documents confirming the existence of a non-traditional credit provider may include a public record from the state, county, or city records, or other means providing a similar level of objective confirmation. To verify the credit information, lenders must use a published address or telephone number for that creditor.

As an alternative, the lender may elect to use a non-traditional mortgage credit report developed by a credit-reporting agency, provided that the credit reporting agency has verified the existence of the credit providers and the lender verifies that the non-traditional credit was extended to the applicant. The lender must verify the credit using a published address or telephone number to make that verification.
Good reference. Thank You!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages