U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 PM

382 posts, read 1,196,047 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know there are a lot of questions out there, but I'm trying to be a little more specific for my situation.

Our lender said he was able to get a 5.3% interest rate, but the APR is showing 7%. I understand what the APR is suppose to include and why the two are different (or think I do), but this doesn't include taxes or insurance.

We are in a re-stabilization program. We pay 1% down payment, they pay 5k and closing costs. There are no payments to points. ALl of our fees are covered as far as I have been told.

Does this sound right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM

983 posts, read 3,483,594 times
Even if you are not paying $5k and closing cost, all the finance charges are included to calculate the APR. Just make sure that they actually pay what they promised. Occasionally, the bank may default on their terms in the 11th hour.

This actually happened to me. I was promised that the bank will pay $2250 (roughly half of closing cost), but they only applied $150 on the preliminary HUD the day before closing. I had to postpone the closing by 1 week to make sure they apply the correct amount that they promised in the GFE.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

Ah, that makes a bit more sense now. The City we are buying the house from (the seller) is the one who is paying all the closing costs and fees. It is part of the program, so I'm not worried about that.

If the Truth and Lending Act has changed, does that mean the GFE has changed too, as in we have a new interest rate and need to sign new forms for both?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM

Never mind, I asked my lender and they explained about the TLA and GFE to me. thanks though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages