Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times

Advertisements

If I got a 30 year fixed mortgage with a payment per month of $900 but paid $1200 per month with the second check for $300 marked "to be applied toward the principal" will my amounts due each month be lower and lower as I pay more towards the principal?

Do you get a monthly bill for your mortgage or do you get a book like you used to get with a car (maybe you still get a book with a car for all I know).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
I'm no expert, but I don't think your monthly payments will change. Paying more towards the principal will just reduce the length of the mortgage (so less than 30 years in your case). I pay a few hundred extra here and there and my monthly payments have never changed. The only time they change is when my escrow balance changes (so when my taxes go up), then the amount goes up to reflect that.

My mortgage company sends a monthly bill now, but I plan to eliminate paper statements soon since I now pay online.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:57 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,843 times
Thanks for the info UConn!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Principal - paying more towards mortgage

The only way your actual payment would go down would be on an interest only product.

If you are able to pay it off so quickly, look at a 15 year mortgage. Rates are very low - 4.00%.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
I do not believe that every mortgage contract is the same -- many lenders will make various provisions, some official, some just to keep a customer.

Some lenders will allow you to "re-amortize" your loan, but if they charge a fee for this or do not allow a re-amortization until certain conditions have been met (with regard to equity , length of loan, escrow) you can do the math yourself with online calculator. The difference is that the calculation you do, if not agreed to by your lender, will only show the hypothetical shortening till you are free-and-clear, and not really allow you to ever "short" your payment below the amount that is on your mortgage.

Realize too, that if your lender ever refuses to allow you to re-amortize AND rates / terms or better than what you signed up for, and you owe LESS than you would by only paying the agreed to amount, you will have MORE equity and that makes you a very desirable borrower. You could probably switch to a 20 year product after about 5 years or a 15 year product after about 9 and your would save even more as those typically have lower interest rates than a 30 year product...

Old 03-17-2010, 05:52 PM

995 posts, read 3,929,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The only way your actual payment would go down would be on an interest only product.

If you are able to pay it off so quickly, look at a 15 year mortgage. Rates are very low - 4.00%.
Not true.

ARM re-amortizes at every adjustment period.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM

111 posts, read 251,573 times
Default Paying your mortgage . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
If I got a 30 year fixed mortgage with a payment per month of $900 but paid $1200 per month with the second check for $300 marked "to be applied toward the principal" will my amounts due each month be lower and lower as I pay more towards the principal?
Do you get a monthly bill for your mortgage or do you get a book like you used to get with a car (maybe you still get a book with a car for all I know). Thanks.
-) Ask your lender if they send out monthly statements, so you have to write a check (probably no payment book).
-) BEFORE you get your loan make sure that there's "no penalty for prepayment".
-) Then, any amount that you pay in excess of your regular payment, will come off your loan.
-) Think about starting a HELOC Account - If your lender doesn't know what it is, and can't explain it to you clearly, go somewhere else for your mortgage.
-) As little as $3,000 per year extra can shorten your loan from 30 years to about 12 years - amazing but true!!!!!
-) PLEASE don't pay any attention to anyone who says that, paying off your mortgage early, is a mistake.
-) As you said, you'll be paying about $900/month - once you pay off your loan, that's an extra $900 in your pocker every month.
-) If a lot more people had paid off their loans in 10-12 years they might not have lost their home when they lost their jobs.
Post any other questions or send me a DM . .
Hope this helps . . . . .

Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post

Do you get a monthly bill for your mortgage or do you get a book like you used to get with a car (maybe you still get a book with a car for all I know).

Thanks.
On a regular fixed mortgage, paying extra means that your loan is paid off sooner. Your payment stays the same (it will adjust slightly from year to year as taxes and insurance change, but the P & I stay the same).

I used to get a monthly bill, but since I set up my payment on autopay, now I just get a quarterly statement, and everything else is electronic, which I like.

Depending on your bank/lender, you may be able to get a discounted rate if you pay electronically automatically every month, and you may be able to set it up to pay an additional $xx for principal every month, I do that with Wells Fargo.

Finally, in addition to EZICIT's good advice, don't fall for any of those programs where you pay someone to show you how to pay your loan down faster. Most of them just tell you to pay half your mortgage every 2 weeks, thereby getting an extra payment a year in. Not only do some lenders not allow payment in this fashion, but you can pay off your mortgage early all by yourself by just making the equivalent of one extra payment each year (or whatever amount extra you can afford). Don't pay for that service.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 15,248 times
What can i do to get my payment lower?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 15,248 times
how to reduce my escrow account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages