U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 05:03 PM

684 posts, read 2,663,685 times

Advertisements

I need to refinance, just got divorced and my ex-husband will be buying a home with his mother.

I can't seem to find much information on refinancing with a VA loan other than from non-govt sites.

I I really wanted to use my VA loan down the road when I bought a different house, but it seems I won't break even on refinancing with an FHA unless I stay in my current home for more than 4 years (want to sell in 2-3 yrs). I

Would really appreciate it if someone can tell me the pros/cons of doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:55 AM

4,239 posts, read 6,205,448 times
Your VA loan will be available to use again when the current VA loan is paid off. So if you use it to refinance now, you can use it again later. There are some small changes I think when using it the 2nd time but nothing major.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM

1,676 posts, read 6,340,108 times
Definitely use your VA benefits before you consider FHA. VA is much better loan. The benefits of the VA loan is no monthly private mortgage insurance.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM

34 posts, read 145,633 times
Be careful with either there's a lot more to it than just which is "best". Your First VA loan has upfront of 2.15%, your 2nd VA loan and every one after that has up front of 3.3. No monthly insurance though which is nice.

FHA has 2.25% up front cost built in, with monthly insurance, but it might be best to go with this if you HAVEN'T used your VA ever before. 2.25% + 2.15% < 2.15% + 3.3%.

Also something to consider with your time frame. If you are only going to be there for a really short time. Take a look at some some 5/1 ARM options. Your break even would be much sooner with fees, and your payments much lower. But be careful with this if you're not sure how long you will be there.

Email me if you have any questions or there is any way I can help.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM

30,787 posts, read 17,022,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadMBell View Post
Be careful with either there's a lot more to it than just which is "best". Your First VA loan has upfront of 2.15%, your 2nd VA loan and every one after that has up front of 3.3. No monthly insurance though which is nice.

FHA has 2.25% up front cost built in, with monthly insurance, but it might be best to go with this if you HAVEN'T used your VA ever before. 2.25% + 2.15% < 2.15% + 3.3%.

Also something to consider with your time frame. If you are only going to be there for a really short time. Take a look at some some 5/1 ARM options. Your break even would be much sooner with fees, and your payments much lower. But be careful with this if you're not sure how long you will be there.

Email me if you have any questions or there is any way I can help.
Unless you have service connected disability, then the VA loan does not have any up-front fee.

Loan Guaranty Service, Home Page (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Old 04-16-2010, 11:34 AM

1,676 posts, read 6,340,108 times
If you have a service related disability, then the up-front fee is lowered or waived. All others must pay the fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages