Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

I have heard that most banks will not let you purchase property under a LLC or if you try to transfer a property from your name to an LLC, often it will trigger a "due on sale" clause, so from what I gather, the only way around the "due on sale clause" is refinancing later

I guess, my idea was to purchase a home with a FHA loan, make it my primary residence for a while, then rent it out and eventually refinance it and transfer it to a LLC. Is this the way to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
In Virginia, we see rentals transferred to an LLC all the time without triggering a DOS clause. We'll even get refinances in where the name is in the LLC and we will condition evidence of transfer back to the "real person."

When property is transferred, no one notifies the lender. There are a couple of things to be aware of, the first is I am not a lawyer and this should not substitute legal advice. The next is some lenders and loan programs have a seasoning rule (how long title and the loan have been in place) for refinance and sale. In some (extreme) cases, fraud could be suspected. (Close an FHA loan one day, a "for rent" sign in the yard the next day). In lending, the weight is on intent. "You intend to occupy the property for at least one year." This does not mean you could be charged with fraud 4 months later when you are transferred to the other side of the country.....or somone in your family needs sudden care. But if you do have a change of circumstance, you should be able to document it. If your only reason to refinance is to change the title, you may not need to go this route.

You really need to discuss this with someone local as to what is acceptable in your area. With increased changes in regulations, audits on loan files are becoming common-place. So remember, your answer today may not be the same tomorrow. Get an answer today and then recheck the answer when you change the status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages