U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,336 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking for advice from someone who understands mortgages better than I do.

We have 17 years remaining on a 30-year mortgage, at 6.75% with a balance of about $55K. We live in a smaller house with assessed value (per the tax man) of $117K, so we've got a fair bit of equity. The market in our area has not suffered as much as some others, but it's still pretty soft.

We've put off refinancing because we would like to move to a larger home, and didn't think that we would recover the cost of the refi. (We bought this house before our first child was born; we now have 4 kids, and it is simply too small for our needs.) We should be able to qualify for a decent rate because we have good FICO scores (high 700s), our income is about $80K, and we owe nothing except our mortgage so our current debt-to-income ratio is below 10% ... but the bulk of our "assets" are in 1) the equity in our current home, and 2) retirement savings.

I'm seeing 15-year rates in the low-to-mid 4s these days. It seems like it should be a no-brainer, but does it actually make sense to refinance to a lower-rate mortgage now? After 13 years of amortized payments, haven't we already PAID the bulk of the interest on our mortgage at the higher rate?

One option we're considering is using a HELOC to tap the equity in this home for a down-payment on a new one, then keeping this house as an investment/rental property. Does refinancing make sense in that scenario? Will we run into problems with our lender if we refinance and then convert the property to a rental within a few months?

I'm sure there is something that I'm just not seeing, so I'd appreciate any insight from those with a better understanding of these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM

983 posts, read 3,485,304 times
Yes.

Suppose the 15-yr FRM rate is 4.25%. Then you would be saving $55,000 * (6.75% - 4.25%) = $1,375 the first year. The annual saving will gradually decrease over time.

You need to estimate what the net closing cost is. If it's $2k, then you will need about 1.5 years to recover the initial cost. This method of evaluating refi project is called "payback period." It's one of the common methods for refi purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or