Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Really private insurance does not want to meet the demand of flood insurance and especailly in some areas.
oh, i don't buy that. insurance is just a numbers game. no matter how much risk there is, they can always raise premiums to cover it.

now, a particular state might be too corrupt or stupid to allow the insurance market to work properly ... but that'd be an issue for that state's legislators to solve. homeowning voters get cranky when you take away their insurance subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 AM

74 posts, read 288,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
homeowning voters get cranky when you take away their insurance subsidies.
This homeowning voter would be jumping up and down for joy if they got rid of NFIP and the flood maps. We have a stream by the side of our property. It has NEVER, EVER flooded. We had record flooding in our town in March (National disaster area). Did our stream flood? Nope! If I had the option to buy flood insurance there's not a chance I would. But now I'm "required" to AND it's "impossible" to do.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:45 AM

74 posts, read 288,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The question I had for her was "Well-if there is a hurricane next week are those people actually covered?"
The answer is "possibly". It depends if Congress makes the reauthorization retro-active to the last active date. If it's not made retroactive then they are SOL.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:04 AM

165 posts, read 596,005 times
Well, still here waiting on Congress to pass the bill. Sad thing is, if we don't close by June 30th, we lose out on the FTHB tax credit. Who woulda known in April when we opened escrow, that we wouldn't be closed by June 30th. (btw this is a regular sale!)

Old 06-21-2010, 12:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHomeHunter View Post
Well, still here waiting on Congress to pass the bill. Sad thing is, if we don't close by June 30th, we lose out on the FTHB tax credit. Who woulda known in April when we opened escrow, that we wouldn't be closed by June 30th. (btw this is a regular sale!)
Many lenders around here are allowing the loans to close if there is an existing policy and it is transferred to the buyers.

There are also some lenders that are allowing the loans to close as long as the buyer pays for a flood insurance policy AS IF the program were active.

Have you looked into either of these options?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Well I tried asking my agent if there were any routes around this, and he said that it's a little more difficult because its not that I, personally, need the flood insurance, but the lender requires that the HOA have at least 6 months on their policy. The HOA currently has a flood insurance policy that expires next month.

Honestly, I haven't talked to the LO myself, just been going through my agent, to ask the LO. Should I try to contact the LO myself?

Old 06-21-2010, 01:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHomeHunter View Post
Well I tried asking my agent if there were any routes around this, and he said that it's a little more difficult because its not that I, personally, need the flood insurance, but the lender requires that the HOA have at least 6 months on their policy. The HOA currently has a flood insurance policy that expires next month.

Honestly, I haven't talked to the LO myself, just been going through my agent, to ask the LO. Should I try to contact the LO myself?
IDK-maybe. I don't think it can hurt. I am sure your agent wants to get the deal done as well.

You cannot be the only one in this position. Here in FL almost every single property is in a flood zone and people are closing. We are buying a property where there is no HOA so we only have to be concerned about the individual policies.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 AM

UPDATE:

Looks like this bill is taking baby steps:
New NFIP Extension Bill Passes House; Senate Action Uncertain - Regulation/Legislation - Property and Casualty Insurance News

Old 06-23-2010, 11:56 AM

948 posts, read 2,790,748 times
I think you need to do more research on this yourself (not on-line) . I am personally getting these deals done - I called six banks last week ,they each looked at it differently some are bus. as usual others are case by case, and some as it sounds like yours are zero leniency - and yup some policies are transferable, some banks just want a flood/elev. certificate from an engineer for the agency to write a policy that takes effect when funding occurs - I had one guy get his app processed the day before the cut-off, had another one transfer, and yet another simply escrow the premium until the policy come back. After following the thread for some time now I see too many details missing, to think all resources have been exhausted. Personally I never communicate the banking stuff to my clients for the bankers, my clients the bank and I work in a triangle not a line - same if we add ins. folks into the mix, that way we are all in the loop on details and no one is filtering or missing details, and if one lender can't get it done we are sure to let another know when/if we are seeking one that can, and sometimes this additional pressure will create a bank board to meet and reconsider it's stance.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh, i don't buy that. insurance is just a numbers game. no matter how much risk there is, they can always raise premiums to cover it.

now, a particular state might be too corrupt or stupid to allow the insurance market to work properly ... but that'd be an issue for that state's legislators to solve. homeowning voters get cranky when you take away their insurance subsidies.
Well look at many states that now have to have state assigned policies to new homeopwner wind strom like many coastal sates. Even then many insurance companies do not sell in those states and the states actually garanteee for those that do. That is also a reality you don't have to believe unless your affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages