Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times

Advertisements

Brammo Empulse: The New 100mph King of Consumer Electric Motorcycles, Sold At Best Buy | Popular Science

Quote:
Brammo Empulse 6.0: 6kwh battery capacity, 60-mile average range, $9,995
Brammo Empulse 8.0: 8kWh, 80-mile average range, $11,995
Brammo Empulse 10.0: 10kWh, 100-mile average range, $13,995
Quote:
this one will be available at Best Buy and will be surprisingly affordable. Prices will run from $9,995 to $13,995, but a raft of electric vehicle tax breaks could bring that more expensive figure as low as $7,000 depending on which state you live in and which breaks you qualify for.
Would anyone here wish to buy an electric bike if it could do 100mph and look cool doing it? This bike for some reason will be sold at Best Buy so now Best Buy sells vehicles and if your state is eligible for an energy tax break it can bring the price down to $7K

Only downside I can see is this:

Quote:
Using a standard 110v outlet, expect the 10.0 to take between six and eight hours for a full charge.
The 10.0 can drive for a max of 130 miles so taking the bike on long trips won't work unless you have a few fully charged batters on hand to swap out before you reach your destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
neat idea, but with that price tag and that short of range, it's useless to me. but, if i could get 300 miles (real miles at freeway speeds and lots of WOT runs), it may grab my attention.

Mike

Old 07-15-2010, 05:58 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Thumbs up Here is the Facebook post I just made

Let's see, BP caps the well temporarily, sweeping financial reform that will eat my job for breakfast passes the Senate, and the Menomena album has a release date and an early review stating that it redefines the state of intelligent pop music one decade into the millenium...

But that's not the big news of the day. Oh no, the big news is that the first production, available to the public, real ELECTRIC sportbike was revealed today, and it's an absolute beauty! I think this bike will make history in a way. It will be looked back on as the bike that changed everything. 100+ mile range and 100+ mph (and 0-60 in about 4 seconds). No shifting/clutching, instant on/no warm up time, zero engine maintenance, no trips to the gas station, nearly silent operation... Outstanding brakes, suspension, frame, and wheels and tires. Aggressive riding position and plenty of cornering clearance. 390 pound curb weight. Beautiful, minimalistic looks. Low center of gravity. 55 HP and massive 59 lb-ft of torque! Fantastic!

Brammo Empulse: electric parity - Hell For Leather
Brammo Empulse: Electric Bikes Start to Get Interesting (Includes Video) « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews
Brammo Empulse Electric Motorcycle - Electric Motorcycle and Scooter News - Motorcycle USA
Brammo announces the Empulse, a 100+ mph naked electric streetfighter with 100-mile range [w/video] — Autoblog Green
Brammo Empulse – This Changes Everything
Video: Brammo Empulse - 100mph electric bike - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN
Brammo unveils sexy electric trio - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown
2011 Brammo Empulse Preview - Motorcycle.com
2011 Brammo Empulse | Sportbike Preview | Motorcycle News

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
ICE bikes get such great gas mileage anyway, why bother? One thing I'd worry about, which I'm not sure these batteries are subject to, is the memory effect. What do you do if the batteries won't hold a 100-mile charge after a year?

If your electric costs $0.15/kWh, it's $1.50 to charge the bike.

As far as sportbikes go, $14,000 is more than a new Hayabusa.

I think electric makes most sense in delivery trucks, buses, and other vehicles that get poor mpg and can be rotated in and out of service. Or super cheap commuter cars.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:14 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,562 times
They hope to get electric bikes up to where they can go 400+ miles on a charge. :P

Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
That will make them immensely more practical, but something to think about is how the electricity is generated that is used to charge the batteries. The electric motorcycle might not be so 'green' after all.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
400+ in a single ride or forget it. I guess it could be a city riders bike. The little one wouldn't get me home to just go to town.

Yesterday i ran a small errand and went 160 miles round trip, so the big one wouldn't get me home either.

I expect the power could be with in reason since electric motors are a right now sort of thing. These bikes could be pretty quick for that reason. But they gotta go more miles on a charge.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That will make them immensely more practical, but something to think about is how the electricity is generated that is used to charge the batteries. The electric motorcycle might not be so 'green' after all.
The average user of this type of vehicle will charge it overnight when electric usage is low. The power companies don't "turn down" the output so the electricity is there for the taking. Might as well use it...

Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
It seems to me that the capacity of the power companies to produce power isn't lowered at night, but the usage is. It isn't like it goes to waste if it isn't used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles