Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:26 AM

720 posts, read 3,003,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
jamaica: A bike wouldn't roll over a tire in the road (unless it was a motorcycle or bicycle tire). But then, neither would a scooter, and it probably wouldn't even make it over a motorcycle tire. Motorcycles handle better than scooters, but scooters have a less threatening aura.
I guess I should have been more clear, obvoiusly a full tire would take out a bike, heck a full tire would mess up a car, I was referring to those shreds of tires you occasionally see on the road, I think a bike could roll over a piece of tire with no problems.

I can see how maybe a scoter in some situatinos coudl stop quicker b/c its lighter and ging slower but with the shorter wheel base I personally think a scooter is less stable in quick stops or swerving for that matter. Also the wider wheel base of a bike I think makes it safer as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:57 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,975,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As to handling, the Vespa with it's 12 inch wheels can whip around 90 degree turns like no motorcycle can. It is impossible for a bike with large wheels to maneuver the way the Vespa can. Especially a cruiser. It sounds to me like you may only have experience with vintage scooters. You should really go test drive a modern 300cc Vespa if you want to see what I am talking about. I have a feeling it will be an eye opener for you.

No...my recent scooter experience has been on either a modern Vespa or my Brother's Honda Silverwing.

But as you said, you're comparing them to a cruiser. I already said my Softail is downright dangerous in a panic stop.

I'm thinking of my Ninja and Triumph Trophy 1200 sport-tourer. There's no way I'd lean over a scooter to the same degree I can on those two bikes. The footboards would drag long before the pegs do. Likewise, the brakes on those bikes will send you either over the bars or it'll stand on the front wheel if you let it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:02 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,975,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
but with the shorter wheel base I personally think a scooter is less stable in quick stops or swerving for that matter. Also the wider wheel base of a bike I think makes it safer as well.
Actually a long "wheelbase" is better suited to cruisers. Sportbikes have shorter wheelbases making them quicker in direction changes.

That said...too short also makes any bike "twitchy" in comparison to a longer one.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM

720 posts, read 3,003,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
Actually a long "wheelbase" is better suited to cruisers. Sportbikes have shorter wheelbases making them quicker in direction changes.

That said...too short also makes any bike "twitchy" in comparison to a longer one.
Yeah true, I have a 94 VS800 INtruder. Extremely long wheel base for the size of the bike, made passing the dmv test near impossible on the part where you weave through the cones. I have trouble making quick swerves but it is very stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles