Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I have riden since the late 60's and nothing is the same. These days I consider every single car a threat to life and limb. I am sure they are ALL trying to kill me.
I always consider every car as a potential murder suspect. I'll bet that they haven't changed as much as you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm approaching my 58th birthday, and I've decided that I need to get back on a motorcycle. This isn't a mid-life crisis, we are too far past that. Think of it as part of my bucket list.
Go for it, dude.

I'm 58, and I've always wanted a muscle car. But, you know how it is - get married, start a family, get a career going .... Now I'm retired, and my chances for that muscle car aren't looking all that great.

Do your research, get the bike that meets your needs/desires as closely as possible, and hit the road.

Happy trails.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For the last 8 years i've scratched that itch with a Miata.

Hehe. You've scratched an itch with that Miata, but I don't think its the motorcycle itch. Its the "my first car should have been a little red sports car itch."

Hope you don't let that certification lapse. That biker itch will come back some day and like Ovocatto, you should scratch it with a bike.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:31 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Quote:
I always consider every car as a potential murder suspect. I'll bet that they haven't changed as much as you have.

I am a conservitive so I haven't changed all that much. I still have long hair in a pony tail I had as a lad, can wear the same belt I did in the 8th grade. I wear the same old fashions i always did boots jeans, tee shirts and regular shirts.

I saw leaded gas become un-leaded which for some reason cost more to get the lead out, but the lead was an additive. Never did get that idea.

Had a party line phone as a lad and now nearly everyone has a cell, but me. I never had one and don't want one.

What gets me is cagers and riders alike use these while riding/driving!

Im my day girls wore under-pants and pants riding with me, these days they wear a skirt some where above the hips and no under pants at all!

Back then on what used to be the interstate bikes were the fastest things out there. That made it safer IMO. Now we are amoung the slowest vehicals out there, unless going 85+MPH is your cup of tea. It isn't mine.

I do miss kick starters though. But i was always a sucker for levers and linkage. I don't need a hammer anymore to hit sticking brake shoes either.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think unleaded gas is more expensive because whatever sunstitutes for lead to raise the octane is more expensive. Or at least they say it is.

I do have a cellphone, but I only carry it to call AAA in case my vehicle breaks down. It amazes me that some people live on them the way they do. And isn't it quicker to leave a voice message than texting? I don't get that whole thing.

I try to 'go with the flow' on my bike, even if it's faster than I'd like to go. Which explains one reason why I prefer back roads, where I can decide how fast I want to ride.

I miss kickstarters too, although I don't know whether they would even work with modern ignition systems or not.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Cat, yeah that's right about the gas, but back in the day the talk was about getting the lead out. LOL

OT: I can recall no power steering on cages, and then wondered why power was needed at all on rack and pinion in English sports cars.

I can recall manual steering with recirculating ball and nut systems getting harder and harder and bingo suddenly power steering was a must have in everything. These ideas sell parts and add costs to cars, and to bikes.

I own a 1891 sx 850 sh yammi that has electric start and a kicker, and it also has the so-called modern igntion you mention, about the same theory and parts as my Nomad has.

My Nomad even has a de-comp valve computer opertated that works to de-comp cly 2 on a start.

Like you I prefer back roads. The interstate is inter boring equally, but there are times and or places where everyone is forced to use them.

Out west in places i tried real hard to see Rt 66, and that road was cooked in some places to resemble railroad ties too close toghter, and with no gravel between the left/right segments which somehow form in the hot sun and cold nights. So I was forced to take I-40 in places.

When I say I tried i really mean i tried hard too. My wife was crying I tried so hard. Some of America is gone for good.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
If you are interested in a new Harley, sales have been off for the last year or so, you should be able to get a deal, at least more so than you could previously.

At worst if you decide you don't like it, H-D typically hold their value well, so it won't cost you much to give it a try.

Although if you are an old-time Italian bike guy, there are all sorts of Ducati and Moto Guzzi bikes out there, from new to vintage.

The tough thing is getting a test ride on a Hog, most dealers won't, and most owners don't loan out their bikes either. But it is what it is, you can certainly sit on one in the showroom and see what fits.

I can't say for sure an H-D bike is what will scratch that itch, but it may well be. But it's some sort of bike for sure.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:12 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

I do miss kick starters though. But i was always a sucker for levers and linkage. I don't need a hammer anymore to hit sticking brake shoes either.
I think of kick starters every day when I swing my leg off the mattress and feel the pain of a knee injured 40 years ago when a wet coyboy boot slipped off the kick starter and slammed into the pavement wrenching the knee the wrong way. Other than that, I miss them too. (About as much as I miss the washboard and the straight razor).

Old 09-29-2010, 07:40 AM

I don't know why Wilson you got another whole knee doncha'?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
I always consider every car as a potential murder suspect.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles