Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,980,454 times

Advertisements

Maybe it wasn't the noise but their competitors being jealous od the amount of business they were doing.

Luckily I live in a place where people mind their own business and allow others to live and let live.

I wouldn't do any business with such people who'd tell me what I can or can't do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 PM

298 posts, read 595,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
Wrong, it is your business. It is all of our business because there are areas who are sick and tired of the excessive noise and imposing restrictions. And, when these restrictions are imposed they don't designate between noisy obnoxious machines and quieter ones; the restrictions are put into effect against ALL motorcycles. One of our favorite lunch destinations in North Carolina got run out of business because the other businesses got sick and tired of all the noise every weekend.
No...it's none of my business....that's what's wrong with a lot of things these days, too many people want to dictate what other people do including the restaurants and hotel/motels. Business must not be as bad as they are talking about.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
hapaleeretired: I'm with you, but you're fighting a losing battle. I don't like being awakened in a motel by someone's very loud bike. Some people have no concept of 'relative freedom'. I'd say it is your business when a favorite restaurant is actually put out of business by noise. That seems like bad business to me.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Sooner or later the whole argument will be a moot point. One day it will be illegal to modify the exhaust on a new motorcycle, and gradually the supply of loud pipes will die, riders who favor obnoxiously intrusive bikes will retire, and we'll stop hearing that infernal racket.

No way I'd get a loud bike in my neighborhood. My next door neighbor thinks my completely stock 2007 Ninja 250 is too loud at 6 in the morning already. I'll only consider used bikes on Craig's List with after market pipes if they have the stock pipe available to reinstall before purchase.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 AM

Aftermarket loud pipes are illegal already where I live, but no one does anything about it.

In fact, our Police department just bought 3 H-D Police bikes and it wasn't long until they installed louder mufflers on them as well!

Old 12-17-2010, 04:38 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
We are rasing a generation of sissy boys, and any noise at all is too much for the library people.

Over that past couple of years I see riders call their wives on the cell phone to beg permission to spend a little money, geeze......

I see people move right next door to a gun range and then whine and complain, about the noise and force the 40 year old + range to change things.

I got Vance and Hines baggers on my Nomad and I don't care what anyone thinks of that. It has baffels and is legal. It's louder than stock too.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Straw man arguments all. When gun ranges start driving down the street, I'll be unhappy about that too.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM

With all due respect, I don't think he was drawing a direct comparison, but instead commenting on today's society. At least that's what I took away from Mac's post.

LOL....if you look at the replies to my Post about Buddy Holly's bike, then follow the link given, you'll see at the bottom of that page that Buddy Holly was given a ticket for riding his Triumph sans a muffler in 1954.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:58 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
Oh Hell out here is the stix, everybody knows the state puts up road signs to be just another target

No, the point is that new wave whiners will move right next door to a gun range that has been there 40+ years, and start to whine and beach about the noise, and expect the gun range to do something (EXPENSIVE) about it. Sometimes the newbies want the range closed even!

On my bike all you cagers are seen as murders by me. Cagers are doing anything but drive the cage.

If I were King all vehicals would be stick shift manual, since it takes both hands and feet to drive, and then no one would be talking on the cell phone while texting on 2 lap tops while aledgely driving.

I can run my Nomad in a fairly quiet mode, not twisting my wrist much. But when i want I can crank up the volume, but not as much as the boom box cars.

Because cagers don't pay any attention approaching red lights I weave and waggle like a drunk. I learned no one wants anything to do with a drunk driver. The cages drop right off my tail normally when I do that, and I only do that when I feel threatened. I will make some noise then too. And it is made for those right behind me.

Bikes are real registered vehicals, and as such have the same rights as any cage. I have had people tell me it is criminal to take up a whole parking space before. To bad I get to pop in quarters just like if I was in my std shift cage. They are incensed when I refuse to park some other place too.

Now i don't know why, but if a bunch of bike gang up in one parking space around here where you pay in quarters all the bikes get a ticket, maybe that's why we are considered vehicals.

I have seen a line of bikes making parking look silly, with one bike per space but it's the LAW.

A whisper quiet bike is more dangerous than a bike that makes some noise.

A lot of the argument is lost, when you don't know the difference between a baffled exahust and straight pipes. My bike isn't all that loud. If it was I could traveled across the USA both ways. Loud bike wear riders out in a few hundred miles every time.

What sets me off is the constant whine.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM

1,461 posts, read 3,651,290 times
I think folks who ride are all looking for something different. I've had small bikes the past 20 years or so. I have a Silverwing right now, a 600, which will do whatever I need it to. It's very quiet being a scooter but I put about 10k a year on my bikes. I travel by myself sometimes and ride with a group in Richmond, IN called SOS~ Seniors on Scooters. We ride all over and just have a great time. None of them are interested in making noise..LOL I'm the youngest and the only female who rides with my group. They range from mid-60's to 85 and still love the adventure of life.
For me the bike is enjoying nature and since it is quiet and I can really enjoy watching animals out in the country. I ride mostly back roads and honestly just enjoy watching the crops grow in the summer. It's my quiet time and sometimes I sing
I've ridden with a few motorcycle rides and they roar off and I can hardly think straight but they enjoy that and I appreciate the fact that they are looking for a different experience then I am which is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles