Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmousern View Post
Boycew, you should take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginner riders course. Takes a weekend and you test at the end and have you license. You may get an insurance break if you've had the class. (and good grades help) . It's true about young men and sport bikes aas far as the insurance goes
Thanks, I might just do that.

I obviously wouldn't be getting a Harley or a Buell as a first bike though because apart from being illegal i'd rather get road sense on something a little more reserved first (I'm thinking an Aprilia RS 125 or something similar ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 01:10 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,933,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Thanks, I might just do that.

I obviously wouldn't be getting a Harley or a Buell as a first bike though because apart from being illegal i'd rather get road sense on something a little more reserved first (I'm thinking an Aprilia RS 125 or something similar ).

If I might make a suggestion..... I'd find the style of bike you want (cruiser, sportbike, standard, etc.) and I'd by a "beater" of it first. Nothing shiney and new. Nothing you're gonna be upset about when you drop it. Notice I didn't say "if you drop it", 'cuz it's a given you're gonna drop it. Get a bike that is cheap, runs good and yet isn't "pretty" as your first bike. Save the "pretty" for when you're seasoned. Just my 2 penny's!

Old 07-19-2007, 02:15 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
If I might make a suggestion..... I'd find the style of bike you want (cruiser, sportbike, standard, etc.) and I'd by a "beater" of it first. Nothing shiney and new. Nothing you're gonna be upset about when you drop it. Notice I didn't say "if you drop it", 'cuz it's a given you're gonna drop it. Get a bike that is cheap, runs good and yet isn't "pretty" as your first bike. Save the "pretty" for when you're seasoned. Just my 2 penny's!
Great advice! To add another $0.02 worth I would highly recommend good safety gear, helmet, jacket, kevlar lined jeans or better, and boots. Road rash might not kill you but it hurts like an SOB And a good rider's course shouldn't be a might, make it a must.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:37 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post

Good advive cani. I bought a scooter for $1200 (Roketa Fiji 150) to see if id like two wheels, well, I paid it off early, and the day after I paid it of I bought my Kawasaki 454LTD and its the best I couldve hoped for. Some TLC and shell be 100% perfect.

BTW, love the leopard prints seat!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:45 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,465,002 times
Default nice touch

Nice to see the polished frame and swingarm on the suzuki, nice looking ride. I have a harley myself, 02 superglide with a 6 degree rake on the front end, mostly all chrome and threw in high performance firebolt cams. Top speed is only 112mph but its quick . Anyone in florida find it difficult to ride with all the snowbirds ? They never seem to see me coming or even hear me, from november through easter I really get nervous riding locally lol.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,093 times
Anyone starting out riding should of course take MSF training. The stuff you learn in there will be invaluable out there on the road. Also, buy a bike under 600cc for Sport, 800 for cruiser/touring. Anything above that is not a great idea for a beginning rider. Suzuki GS500f is a really good starter bike. Full fairing, very comfortable riding position, forgivable throttle control, nice sporty lines and insurance isn't as bad compared to other bikes. Only downside is when you drop it all that nice pretty plastic will get torn up. Also isn't the ideal bike for two up. Other than that, overall a great bike.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:55 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I've been riding since 1966. Bikes I've owned:

1966 Suzuki X-6 Hustler (250cc 2-stroke)
1975 Yamaha 650
1978 Yamaha XS11
1980 Suzuki GS450S
1980 Suzuki GS1000G (put 129K on it)
1984 Honda V65 Sabre

I think it's too bad there are so few small street bikes left. The 450 I had was lots of fun and was light (and would still do 105!). The 350-450 size is very practical.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:08 AM

795 posts, read 2,298,653 times
Default mount up

Quote:
Originally Posted by michb5 View Post
What about Motorcycles

Out and about in Hono of LuLu Land, with out the sidecar it will do some 135 MPH.

Don't take the Corners to fast.

Now the top part of this rig is the way to go-- up up and away....

But, that StarShip chase plane will haul with some eight souls.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michb5 View Post
.....Any good places to go around Houston?
My one and only bike I ever owned was an '82 Yamaha 920 Virago when I lived in Houston (left in '87).

I did almost all of my riding out around the Fulshear area and beyond. At the time there was nothing out there but great Farm to market roads and back roads. Don't know what it's like now.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
I test-rode one of those 920 Viragos...great bike! Comfortable and torquey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles