Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:46 AM

3,189 posts, read 4,965,562 times

Advertisements

Triumph motorcycle manufacturers, have released their sales figures for the year of 2010. With many automotive manufacturers struggling, sales of Triumph bikes have actually increased over the last year. This news could help to brighten the outlook for others in the automotive industry.

The automotive industry overall suffered a 14% decrease in sales over the last year, whereas Triumph have confirmed that sales actually increased on the previous year by 1.5%.

The British motorcycle firm has outshone competitors from outside the UK including Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Triumphs performance has accelerated past its rivals over the past year. Although the year has proved difficult for this struggling industry but it is comforting to know that recovery could be on the horizon.

PR Fire | Automobile >> Triumph Motorcycles Report Increase in Sales (http://www.prfire.co.uk/press-release/triumph-motorcycles-report-increase-in-sales-44924.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 11:40 PM

14 posts, read 32,025 times
Uhhhh, Victory Motorcycles sales were up 55% for 2010 over 2009. And they're made in America, by Americans.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....651&highlight=

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 PM

It's always great news to hear of motorcycle companies doing more than just surviving in this economy!!

Kudos to Victory!

Old 02-18-2011, 02:51 PM

6,712 posts, read 4,366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Gear View Post
Uhhhh, Victory Motorcycles sales were up 55% for 2010 over 2009. And they're made in America, by Americans.

Polaris : Investor Relations : News
I just read something where Victory will soon be outsourcing production to Mexico. The same page had something about workers at a Harley Davidson plant receiving crates with '' Made in Japan '' and '' Made in China '' stamped on the boxes. You dont hear too much anymore about their being a made in america bike like you use to.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 32,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I just read something where Victory will soon be outsourcing production to Mexico. The same page had something about workers at a Harley Davidson plant receiving crates with '' Made in Japan '' and '' Made in China '' stamped on the boxes. You dont hear too much anymore about their being a made in america bike like you use to.
Actually, Polaris is moving their engine plant for their ATV's to Mexico. Victory MFG & Assembly will remain in USA - Iowa I believe. Yes, Victory and HD both use parts made overseas, but are assembled in USA.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 PM

158 posts, read 269,623 times
Then you wonder why Americans don't have jobs. This outsourcing is done by corporations to please the stockholders ie higher profits using cheap foreign labor. Our government has to start imposing import taxes to make it unattractive for companies to leave the country to operate profitably. Until that happens Americans will be out of luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM

That or lower our corporate tax rates to make it a lot more enticing to stay!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:25 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,096,150 times
Ducat sales were up quite a bit last year as well: 8% in the third quarter and 9% in the fourth quarter, and 35% in December compared to December 2009. The statistics are from Motorcycle Consumer News.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:10 AM

134 posts, read 301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post

Aren't Honda Goldwings manufactured in the US? - A friend (who has one) said Wings are American, Harleys are foreign made.

True or false?

Each to his own, I suppose. You'll never hear me knock any bike, but everybody has their favourites.

I had a (1996) Triumph Thunderbird a few years ago. I had a 1966 T-bird a few years before that.

My recent T-bird had more than its fair share of problems and one day - after we'd been for a biking weekend in northern England - my wife said to me: "That bloody bike causes you nothing but problems! - Why don't you buy a reliable bike?

Before the echoes had died away, I was on the phone to a BMW dealer. My R1100 (2000) hasn't given me any problems since I bought it, neither has my K1200 (2005)

Old 03-15-2011, 02:18 AM

134 posts, read 301,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideast View Post
Then you wonder why Americans don't have jobs. This outsourcing is done by corporations to please the stockholders ie higher profits using cheap foreign labor. Our government has to start imposing import taxes to make it unattractive for companies to leave the country to operate profitably. Until that happens Americans will be out of luck.
Not so. I live in Upper Bavaria (for half the year.) We make Mercedes cars, BMW cars and (although they're made by the SaupreuĂź) BMW motorcycles.

They sell well, they export well and German workers are highly-paid. (No such thing as 'cheap labour' here!)

Workers are well-paid, but factories are heavily automated. (Labour is expensive.) If you want to sell what you make, it has to be very,very good.

(There is no minimum wage in Germany, but I've never come across anybody who is paid less than $13.00 an hour.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles