U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-02-2011, 03:35 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,718,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
In that case have you considered a small dual-sport (like a KLX250S) instead of a sportbike? These sit taller so you can see and be seen better in heavy traffic, and the seating position is more upright and comfortable than a sportbike.
Lolz a Ninja 250 is NOT a sport bike. It is a standard motorcycle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
I think it's a small sport bike. The Honda 250 is more of a standard. Of course it isn't a ball of fire compared to a 600, but it'll still provide a lot of fun.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 PM

802 posts, read 670,348 times
I started riding in the early 70's. Never take it for granted. It will show you who is boss. Then again, I never had much fun when I rode like I had sense.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Then again, I never had much fun when I rode like I had sense.
LOL! Thinking back to some of the things I did, I'm surprised I made it this far.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,952,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Then again, I never had much fun when I rode like I had sense.
Thinking of the "almost" bad times i've had on a bike, i'm glad i've always kept my head on straight, and used my judgement more than my right hand.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:19 AM

689 posts, read 619,830 times
Practice, Practice, Practice.....Some would say Track time is key but I am a fan of saddle time PERIOD. There are different types of scenarios that you will face in day to day riding so to me the street is the best way to learn. But ultimately if you can get comfortable with your bike, then add a mixture of street, mountain, track ridin....you will be fine. Get out and ride.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 PM

802 posts, read 670,348 times
Learn from others, animals are unpredictable. I hit a large German shepard early in my riding days. I slowed, The dog was just stand there. Right as I came up on him, he spooked and took off, right in my path. Took out my front wheel and I went tumbling down the road. Read below if you care to.

I was riding one saturday morning on the back roads in NC where I grew up. I had only been riding for a few years so I wasnt yet aware about how unpredictable animals can be. As I was riding I noticed up ahead a dog, a big german shepard on my side of the road into some garbage can, he was eating something from the overturned garbage cans. As I came up on him I slowed to about 35 mph and moved way over so I wouldnt scare him.I kept my eye on him but he didnt notice me as he was eating. Just as I came up on him, I guess I scared him, he took off across the road to go back to his home. He ran right in front of me and I hit him. All this happened in a split second. I just didnt anticipate him just taking off like that. I hit him with my front wheel. the bike layed down and I went flying, landing on my hands and tumblied down the road. I jumped up, not hurt and just thinking about how I might of broken something on the bike. At the time I also had a dirt bike and the thing to do if you do a get off is to jump up run back to grap the clutch and keep the engine going, and make sure everything is alright. Then maybe shut it off and check things out. Not this time. I stood up and noticed the bike had slid down the road with the dog underneith. I hit the dog with my front wheel and it just layed over on him and slid. I grabbed the handlebars and pick up the bike and rolled it to the side of the road. I noticed the dog laying in a big pool of blood of different colors of red. I knew what this meant. It realy messed him up. He kicked a few times and he died. I wasnt hurt, just my hands a little raw from the road and a scrap on my elbow. My elbow was bleeding a little and running down my arm. When this happened, I guess it made a noise because a couple that lived there came running out to see if I was ok. The girl said I could go into there house and clean up my arm. This was the 70`s and no AIDS scare if someone sees blood. They were nice and helpful. Well we stood there looking at the dog and the guy grabbed the dog and pulled ot off the road. I asked if it was there dog and they said no, it belonged to the man across the street. I said lets go and tell him I had just hit and killed his dog. We walked up to his house, a moble home and knocked on the door. He open the door and I asked him if he had a big german shepard dog. he said yes and I told him what had happened. All this time I was talking he was looking over my head not looking at me. I found out later he couldnt see very well . Running through my mind is I just killed his seeing eye dog. But no, it was his pet, and im sure his best friend, him being almost blind. We all went out to his back yard and burried his dog . I told him several times I was sorry, and he understood it wasnt my fault. He said the dog stayed close to the house and never ran loose. After we were done I thanked the young couple, young couple,,, they were my age. I went over to the bike turned the key, hit the started button and it started right up. (this was a new Honda CL 360, 2 high pipes on one side), I loved that bike. I rode home slow about 3 miles thinking maybe I had bent something, but it rode ok. At home I looked over the bike and there was only a scratch on the right side brake pedal and on the end of the handlebad grip.That was it. The way it happened, the dog had kept the bike from getting all scraped up. I had that bike about 5 years with no trouble from it. I still think about this 35 years later.I never told my parents so they wouldnt worry everytime I went riding, which was every day, sometimes all day, or evening into the early morning.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:01 AM

8,468 posts, read 11,837,299 times
Learn on a bike that you can upright off the ground in a muddy ditch by yourself. Note: you can't do this with a 500 lb bike no matter who you are.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,807,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Learn on a bike that you can upright off the ground in a muddy ditch by yourself. Note: you can't do this with a 500 lb bike no matter who you are.
I've done it -- a fully loaded Versys on Skyline drive, Shenendoah National Park.

But yeah, I wouldn't recommend it given the choice.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:53 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,051,928 times
Pretty decent advice for a newbie, but even a 300-400 lb sled is no fun, 'righting up'.

And, I agree with johnnytang24: even my ~800 lb Goldwing can be righted with proper method by
most men/some women. I have not had to 'right' mine, but I have had to rigth other Wings & HDs
'up' via the pickup/stand up method. Easier when I was younger...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles