U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 AM

38 posts, read 50,610 times

Advertisements

Electric bikes can make urban commuting faster and easier than getting to the office by car—and a whole lot more fun.
Though they look and generally handle just like regular bikes, most electrics are an intelligent breed. And along with steep rise in gasoline and equivalent products and the amount of impact they put on our environment Electric bikes and Mopeds are going to make huge impact in near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
I have neropathy in my legs and they give out suddenly. However, I need to excersise them regularly. I wanted to get a mountain bike or something close but the fear of getting a couple miles from home and have my legs give out was scary.

I run across an electric bike at Wal-Mart. Battery is only 8 lbs. I bought a trailer, like you haul two infants in so I could haul my dog with me. I weigh about 260. Dog weighs about 45. I have charged up the battery and hooked up the trailer. Dog and I went 14 miles without pedaling and it never slowed down. That was with hills and traffic. I don't know how far it will actually go, but I have done 14 miles with trailer. Bike sold for $350. It's a mountain bike configuration and is a 7 speed. So if the battery does go on you, you can always pedal. Doesn't take much to bring the battery in and charge it up at night. Takes about 4-5 hours to put a full charge on it. You can buy a second battery as the rack will hold two, but the bike only comes with one. I've had it for 4 years now and have had no trouble with it at all, except picking up a nail in the front tire. haha

By the way, I have a speedometer on it and it does a little over 14 mph.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM

552 posts, read 656,746 times
i agree, the EV scooters are not ready yet.

or the good ones are still over $6k

You can get a good china made scooter 50cc for $600-$700
Atlanta Motor Scooters | Gas & Electric Scooters Atlanta GA

or a EV scooter for about $7k

Custom Built Motorcycles : Other Custom Built Motorcycles : Other | eBay

Old 07-10-2012, 04:52 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,335,263 times
Electric - IMO, they are not ready for prime time and could be an expensive mistake and a pain to deal with in general, especially the el cheapos.

A used standard gas unit purchased ideally from a scooter club member would be a better option in my view. Your $1,000 price point will take some searching to meet but there are any number of decent well maintained smaller quality scooters available. I'd suggest you contact a local scooter club(s) in your area and ask advice as a starter.

A specification of what traffic speeds you need to deal with would be very helpful in offering suggestions. There are many possible low cost rides available that might be suitable for your purposes.

PS - you also want to check out the availability of dealer service in your local area. I'd stay with Honda/Yamaha/Vespa; Aprilla or KYMCO brands for smaller scoots. Honda/Yamaha are 1st tier, as well as Vespa but Vs are Mercedes priced.

Aprilla or KYMCO - 2nd Tier and will be less expensive but get good reviews and have a loyal following. Piaggio can be more problematical parts -wise and I'd generally avoid them (though you will commonly find Vespa/Piaggio dealers - Piaggio owns Vespa as well as a variety of other brands). I'd definitely avoid the no name Chinese or other odd ball brands.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 07-10-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 AM

8,956 posts, read 4,141,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
they seem to be real popular with the local drunks who have lost their licenses
Haha LMAO!!! Yes, yes they do. There is one supervisor where I work, who is a real hard-a$$, mean tough guy type. He lost his license because of a DUI and so he jumps on his little scooter and comes to work every morning.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:44 AM

1,238 posts, read 627,047 times
Theres no such thing as an electric moped. Go sprout that jazz on moped army if you dont believe me.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:27 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Theres no such thing as an electric moped. Go sprout that jazz on moped army if you dont believe me.
Then what, exactly, would you call these? X-Treme XM-5000Li Electric Moped Motorcycle Running On 21 Lithium Batteries

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 AM

20,329 posts, read 16,609,173 times
While 50cc scooters and mopeds can be fun and economical they can be inherently dangerous when mixing with other traffic as they usually max out at 30-35mph.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-01-2012 at 06:35 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 03:45 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,300,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While 50cc scooters and mopeds can be fun and economical they can be inherently dangerous when mixing with other traffic as they usually max out at 30-35mph.
They are dangerous because much like electric bikes, they are way too quiet and mopets are even smaller making them even an easier target.

Can you imagine zipping around a busy street on a bike that is as quiet as a Prius?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,828,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Electric - IMO, they are not ready for prime time and could be an expensive mistake and a pain to deal with in general, especially the el cheapos.

A used standard gas unit purchased ideally from a scooter club member would be a better option in my view. Your $1,000 price point will take some searching to meet but there are any number of decent well maintained smaller quality scooters available. I'd suggest you contact a local scooter club(s) in your area and ask advice as a starter.

A specification of what traffic speeds you need to deal with would be very helpful in offering suggestions. There are many possible low cost rides available that might be suitable for your purposes.

PS - you also want to check out the availability of dealer service in your local area. I'd stay with Honda/Yamaha/Vespa; Aprilla or KYMCO brands for smaller scoots. Honda/Yamaha are 1st tier, as well as Vespa but Vs are Mercedes priced.

Aprilla or KYMCO - 2nd Tier and will be less expensive but get good reviews and have a loyal following. Piaggio can be more problematical parts -wise and I'd generally avoid them (though you will commonly find Vespa/Piaggio dealers - Piaggio owns Vespa as well as a variety of other brands). I'd definitely avoid the no name Chinese or other odd ball brands.
Quoting here since you live in NYC and are looking for an electric scooter.

I worked for a dealership. The cheap electric scooters are fine for getting from A to B. I presume you are talking about the ones we see some of the delivery guys on around here. The downside is when something breaks on it. Plus while going 30 mph might seem fine for now, it will start to get old really fast. I've seen far too many people buy 50cc Kymcos only to end up coming back and trading them in for a faster scooter within 3 months.

I would agree with the above poster in getting an Aprilla or a Kymco. The Vespa mopeds are fine, but the downside to them, especially in NYC is that you need a drivers license to operate one, because they top out at 40mph. (in NYS anything over 30mph requires a drivers license) Not to mention for the amount of money you would spend on a Vespa moped, you may as well just buy a scooter.

I would also agree avoid the no name brands. Another thing is since you mentioned hills, be aware that mopeds suck big time for dealing with hills. Also not sure if you plan on going over any bridges, but mopeds are illegal on bridges and highways in NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles