U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2012, 08:08 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,102,785 times
"...No offense, but some of you classic scoot guys can get pretty crazy with the elitist attitude...."

(Major chuckle. ) Yeah, thats definitely been my observation. My Lambretta owner/friend spends more time working on his than actually riding it. He frequently enjoys the day on one of my working alternatives. He favors my MP3 but --- fair warning, Piaggio parts are not easy to get. Must be an Italian thing.

Question, if you don't mind: My local dealer (Vespa of Baltimore) has a pretty nice deal on an older GTS Super I was just looking at. Whats your opinion on it? I'm always in the market for a new scoot.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-17-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,295,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
"...No offense, but some of you classic scoot guys can get pretty crazy with the elitist attitude...."

(Major chuckle. ) Yeah, thats definitely been my observation. My Lambretta owner/friend spends more time working on his than actually riding it. He frequently enjoys the day on one of my working alternatives. He favors my MP3 but --- fair warning, Piaggio parts are not easy to get. Must be an Italian thing.

Question, if you don't mind: My local dealer (Vespa of Baltimore) has a pretty nice deal on an older GTS Super I was just looking at. Whats your opinion on it? I'm always in the market for a new scoot.
The GTS Super is great. Mine is a 2009. I bought it new in the fall of 2008 and have about 30,000 miles on it. It's perfect for city driving but does well on the highway too. On many occasions I have had it up to 85mph, which is about where the rev limiter kicks in. It handles very well at 65 or 70. The wind from 18 wheelers blows me around a little more than on the big motorcycles, and with the small wheels, you need to be on the look out for pot holes, but I have taken it on many 100+ mile trips and it is both comfortable, and able. Around the city it is even better. Small enough to fit between tight spaces, and the turn radius is great. You can whip it around 90 degree angle turns like it was nothing.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:11 PM

394 posts, read 546,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The old HD looks cool in the garage, but is not very practical. I need to always wrench it to keep it running well, and the kick start has gotten old. It's not like the kick on a scooter, which is relatively easy. When I use it daily, it starts with one or two kicks, but if it has been sitting for a while, it can take 10 before starting up, and the kick back can be brutal on the ankles.

I have had Vespas in the past, and currently have a GTS Super in the stable. No offense, but some of you classic scoot guys can get pretty crazy with the elitist attitude. I am thinking of getting an old Lambretta too, but only because I have a friend who is a Lambretta whiz, who can fix it for me when things go wrong.

I checked out the BMW at the motorcycle show. It seemed like it was very solid.
No offense is taken, we are elitist snobs
Of course your '70 is not practical, but neither my '74 Vespa Primavera. My PX150 is a little more practical, but a verymlittle more
Is it about practicality or having a piece of history, design, etc? I think it is the latter.
I love Lambrettas too and almost got one BUT did my homework and realized that I must avoid Servetta, Lambretta made in Spain and imported to the US. They have very tricky electric system and it is its Achilles ' foot.
Besides making me happy my Vespa make others happy, especially too very distant groups of people- old bikers and high class, well kept women over 50 ;D

Old 03-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Doc, thank you for the GTS input. I might pick one up. Vespa Baltimore is offering a '10 for $5k, seems pretty good. I like to change rides every few years and the MP3 is getting old, a GTS looks really interesting and its weight is appealing.

All of my riding is purely pleasure (retired bum here) and I avoid cities and major highways whenever possible. I use my TMax for any major highway rides (plus its fun to blow off the Harley types at the stoplight and any high speed curves ).

I've split ownership with my brother on a Honda VFR1200F DCT that I occasionally ride, its a "bit different" than riding a scooter. With 167 HP, you twist the throttle on it and you are gone! Its fun but a bit scary to ride.

Big_Al, you're on the hook to provide further explanation about a scooter keeping "...high class, well kept women over 50..." happy. Mine, who meets those criteria, just looks at my hobby and shakes her head - you're seriously on the hook - give up the secrets, mia amigo!

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-17-2012 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 05:46 PM

3,797 posts, read 4,295,613 times
Quote:
...further explanation about a scooter keeping "...high class, well kept women over 50..." happy. Mine, who meets those criteria, just looks at my hobby and shakes her head - you're seriously on the hook - give up the secrets, mia amigo!
The old scoots vibrate a lot.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:15 PM

ROTFL: Hadn't thought of that, good point! My wife will occasionally mention that I'm replaceable, I've just never had the guts to ask with what.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-17-2012 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The old scoots vibrate a lot.
That's a knee jerk reflex

The connection is emotional. Youth memories about "Roman Holidays", first dates with a guy who loved The Who or just happened to have a scooter, classic Italian design and clear understanding that a scooter boy in a Harley society is a sign of self confidence, like wearing a pink shirt
Anesthesia MD, your job is to bring conscience to unconscience , mine is totally opposite, therefore we gave different explanations.
But I must admit I used "vibration statement" as an invitation for a ride. ( it never worked. )

Old 03-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Pilgrim, does Vespa Baltimore offer GTS 300 super or GTS 250 for 5000? Probably 250...
Yor message "go and buy" made me think that I need a birthday present. If I am already going to Rome I could pick me up a new, the third Vespa before or after the trip. I am not going to sell them anyway, I'll keep them forever.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM

Baltimore's Exclusive Vespa/Piaggio Dealer and Service Center.

They've got a "new" 2010 Vespa GTS 300 SUPER for $4,999. You'd better buy it before I do. Its bright red, not my favorite color but its okay. Seems like a good deal but I'm not real conversant with Vespa prices, especially on "new" older units.

The 2012s are more than a grand higher. I've used the dealership for warranty service on my MP3 but don't have any other serious experience with them. Their location is a pain - major urban environment.

Mia amigo, my advice stands - you'll never regret having a new toy. Life is short, totally indeterminate and usually ends painfully - GO FOR IT! You'll never regret the ride.

PS - Al, I'd skip the pink shirts, they just don't work well in any environment. They make some very nice (non-pink) high visibility vests. When I cruise with my Harley buddies, nobody bothers me after they look at my Marine Corps stickers on my scooters, but a pink shirt would probably be pushing it.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 03-17-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-18-2012, 12:50 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,149,022 times
Quote:
A wise man doesn't ever comment on another's choice of rides.
Absolutely! I like almost everything with two wheels and a motor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles