Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 88,037 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get some opinions on the best clothes to wear for casual ATV trail riding this spring/summer. I've never been before and want to be comfortable without spending a ton of money on new stuff (besides the obvious gloves, helmet, and goggles) especially made for ATV riding. Jeans versus sweatpants? Hiking boots versus sneakers?

I tried to do a Google image search for ideas but I don't think that a string bikini is appropriate gear for trail riding in New Hampshire. Or maybe that's just me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
I don't ATV, but I do ride enduro (dual sport motorcycles) and they probably share a lot when it comes to gear.

Okay, so the helmet is obvious and using an open style with googles is certainly Cooler than any other option. I'd put boots above gloves though, it seems that broken ankles are one of the Most common (non-drunk) injuries I've seen for both motorcycle and ATVers when out and about. If you're not wearing something sturdy, that laces over the ankles (assuming you skip a dedicated boot, those have buckles), you're not doing yourself any favors. So if you can't beg, borrow or steal a pair of riding boots, go for the most robust hiking boots that end at Least an inch above your ankles. I still don't think I'd put gloves next, that would be some sort of impact armor (even just foam pads for the hips, shoulders, elbows would do). Then gloves and to cover it all up, never something made from cotton. Cotton is the Worst fiber possible for outdoor activities. Again, if you can't beg/borrow/steal a simple jersey and pant riding set (they're pretty cheap), then I'd opt for something non-cotton on top that's long sleeved and tear resistant. On bottom, I might go for durable cotton (Carharts/canvas first, then jeans)..

Womens ATV Package Deals - Chaparral Motorsports

But for $200 you can buy ALL the gear in a package, it just seems silly to try and use something not really intended (and it's just not as comfortable, hard to convince most people that the proper gear Really does make the experience better).

Good luck... oh, and that was just the first google result I pulled up, I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Thanks Brian M for the helpful input and suggestions!

Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,877,205 times
I ride a 4 wheeler, every day of the year. I use it for my primary transportation, even riding 20 miles into town to do my grocery shopping.

A 4 wheeler doesn't have foot pegs, it has a platform that is incapsulated. In other words, if you brush a tree or rock, there is no way for it to get at your foot because the foot area is protected. I would recommend a pair of boots with heels so that your foot does not slip. A standard pair of hiking boots is fine.

Gloves? I wear open finger gloves so that the palm of my hand is protected and my fingers are open.

Helmet? An open helmet and goggles is the coolest option, however, if you are simply trail riding, an open helmet with a good pair of sun glasses will work. Keep the glare down and the bugs from hitting your eyes. Speeds while trail riding are pretty slow.

Pants? You really don't need any riding gear, a pair of bluejeans is fine. Again, trail riding you are going to be doing 10 mph or less, but you do need something to keep brush from scratching your legs.

Shirt? What ever you are comfortable with, but I would wear long sleeves just to keep brush from scratching. Something light will work.

The most important part is to just get out there and have fun.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM

39,789 posts, read 26,271,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemaze View Post
I'm looking to get some opinions on the best clothes to wear for casual ATV trail riding this spring/summer. I've never been before and want to be comfortable without spending a ton of money on new stuff (besides the obvious gloves, helmet, and goggles) especially made for ATV riding. Jeans versus sweatpants? Hiking boots versus sneakers?

I tried to do a Google image search for ideas but I don't think that a string bikini is appropriate gear for trail riding in New Hampshire. Or maybe that's just me...
To a large extent, that will depend on what kind of machine you ride, how aggressively you ride and where/when you ride. As far as safety gear, at the least, a good helmet, gloves, boots and a long sleeve shirt or jacket. As far as type of helmet, it's a bit of a toss up. Lots of people wear your basic "open face" helmet (no chin bar). I'm not a fan of these. If you do "bite it" you have no protection for your face/chin, nor do they keep branches from slapping you in the face. Better is a motorcross type helmet, that has a chin guard and is typically worn with goggles. You will want something over your eyes to provide protection and to keep the dust down. Personally I use a "flip face" or "convertible" helmet, that has a chin bar that flips up out of the way. I wear glasses, it's really nice to be able to leave them on when putting a helmet on or off. I like to be able to pull the chin bar down for protection and shield(visor) to keep the dust out or when it's cold. If you ride for any length of time, you'll probably accumulate several. A helmet is one thing that I recommend buying locally and make sure you try it on before buying, fit matters. They should be pretty snug when new, they will loosen up as the foam contours a bit.

As to boots, it depends on the quad. ATVs are loosely broken into two categories, "sport" and "utility". THe sport machines typically are 2 wheel drive, high performance, manually shifted machines, with foot pegs (like a dirt bike), rather than running boards. These machines are typically ridden fairly aggressively, and offer no protection from stick/branches thrown up by the tires. These can act like a spear, I've seen them driven through running boards and fenders a few times. With these, the best choice is an armored, motocross style boot. Utility quads are your more common (unless you ride dunes) 4x4 types, with racks, full fenders, running boards. They typically aren't ridden quite as aggressively (though some of us break that mold) and do offer significantly more protection. I think you'll find most riders just wear a good, heavy pair of hiking/work type boots. Get something that goes well over your ankle, both for protection and to help keep your feet dry. If you have to buy new ones, I strongly recommend something waterproof and breathable.

For pants/shirt, I'd recommend jeans over sweats. There are plenty of sticks that will try to poke or "spear" you, though generally not too badly. Sweats tend to be kind of "grabby" while pokers will often slide off jeans or other "harder" materials. For jackets, for good protection without being too hot, I'd recommend a mesh motorcycle jacket if you are buying something new. These have "armor" in the elbows, shoulders and spine, yet are made out of a very open weave material, so they breath really well. Now, for casual trail riding, the vast majority of riders do not wear armored jackets or pants, and some would say they are unnecessary. "Carhart" type jackets are very common around here.

For general comfort, the most important thing is to dress in layers, and allow for changes in temperature throughout the day. You should have an outer layer available that is both rainproof and wind resistant. Most clothes that are fine for hiking or casual wear at a given temperature let a bunch of wind through when riding and will be cold. A light windbreak can make the difference between comfort and misery. Unless riding in summer, generally stay away from a lot of cotton. If it gets at all damp it's cold. Various polypropylene materials (long johns or fleece) aren't expensive. There is one place for your sweats-"heavy" polypro ones worn under something windproof offer a lot of warmth for very little money. A cheap set of ski pants over the top works great. Obviously a light rain suit is worth having along. For spring/winter/fall riding, for gloves, I like Gortex ones with a Thinsulate or other synthetic liner. If it's at all cold and wet, you want something that will keep your hands warm and dry. I've had no trouble in single digit weather with these.

For hot summer days, try to at least wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt. Even without a wreck, there are plenty of branches to grab/slap at you, rocks tossed by other machines (or your own tires), etc, let alone sunburn from several hours out in the sun.. If you are looking for protection, look at what dirt bike riders wear. Some type of light jersey over a "chest protector" or "roost guard", with armor on the spine is smart...even though I don't ride with them. For gloves, any leather work gloves are fine, or look at some lightweight "dirt bike" ones. Most of these have an open weave to let air through, but have padding along the outside where branches, etc, will hit. As far as protection, as I stated earlier, a lot depends on how you ride. Elkhunter states that he's riding 10mph on the trails. I tend to ride significantly faster, and push the envelope a bit as far as where I ride. I've only had one significant wreck (due to stupidity, tiredness and excess speed) but things can go bad quickly. I've been around a good number of others, thankfully none with serious injuries. Nearly every quad will hit at least 50, with some hotter ones running well over 70. Ride sensibly and within your abilities.

I hope I'm not scaring you off. This is in general a very safe sport, and a wonderful way to get out and explore places only a tiny percentage of the population sees. Use some basic precautions, never ride alone (first rule), always wear a helmet (the other first rule) and don't ride above your abilities. If other riders are going faster than you are comfortable with, slow down. In the biking world, we call it "ride your own ride", at a speed you feel comfortable with. With regard to wrecks...a very large percentage happen at low speed, especially when loading/unloading from a truck or trailer. ALWAYS wear a helmet, even when it seems silly. And yes...I suspect we have all violated that one when just taking a ride around the property or to load.

Have a great time and let us know how your rides go.

One thing I forgot to mention. As a new rider, look into an ATV safety class in your area. They should be free or very low cost. A local ATV club should be able to help you out. Many safety related issues seem like common sense, but they aren't necessarily things you think about when first getting on one. Like never, ever, put your foot down if it feels like it's going to tip over!

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 05-12-2013 at 11:19 PM..

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks for your input,Toyman and Elkhunter. My ATV has platforms for my feet, so I agree that I'll probably just need some hiking boots to protect my ankles. I wear prescription glasses so I had to buy goggles which fit over my glasses. It's a pain but I guess it's a good idea to be able to see where you're headed on the trails! I'm also looking into taking an ATV safety class soon.

I'll let you know how my trail rides go. We haven't officially registered our ATVs yet, but I have been able to do some riding on our property. What a blast!

Old 10-02-2013, 09:21 AM

Hey Toyman, thought I would let you know that I absolutely LOVE riding the ATV! I actually like the more challenging trails with the uphill/downhill/rocky terrain more than the paved rails-to-trails straightaways. I never thought I would prefer the tougher trails. I guess it helped that on my very first ride, my husband and I went down a really steep, unmaintained path - complete with pretty deep crevices from the rain and lots of negotiating where to steer. Talk about baptism by fire! My husband was really impressed with my riding skills. I did make the rookie mistake of putting my foot down (on that rocky downhill path) when I thought I was going to tip, but thank goodness I didn't get injured! I only wish we had more time to ride!

BTW - I went with the ankle-high hiking boots, jeans, UnderArmour running shirt and fleece jacket. Nothing fancy but comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles