Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 03:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times

Advertisements

My brother just bought a hovercraft for $1500. I do not undrestand.

Why doesn't everyone on earth have one of these? They are so incredibly cool (on the other hand my wife says it is the dumbest thing ever - must be a guy thing).

My brother's uses two lawn mower enginers. One is 6 H P (lift) and one is 16 hp). It is very simple and easy to maintain/repair. It will hold two people and go 35 mph. It will go over any more or less flat surface: water, sand, ice, snow, dirt, you name it.

Better ones hold more people and/or go faster. His will go faster with bigger motors. It can easily get up to 50 plus mph and the big ones (with 160 h.p motors) are really fast. Some of them are even capable of flying 10 feet in the air for short hops. It seems that they can go over anything. He drove his across the yard, over the pond, popped it up over the road and into the pond on the other side. As far as I cant tell it can be used on anything that is basically flat.

What is wierd to me is that I have never seen one before. Why arent these the most popular toys out there? They are affordable and super awesome. The only real ATV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:22 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
My kind of hovercraft for family vacations.

US NAVY LCAC HOVERCRAFT / Surfin' Bird - YouTube

Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
My kind of hovercraft for family vacations.

US NAVY LCAC HOVERCRAFT / Surfin' Bird - YouTube

That is amazing. It must take a big fan/engine to lift that thing while carrying a tank. Looking at it most people probably think that it is floating rather than flying becuase the skirt looks like a pontoon of some sort.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is amazing. It must take a big fan/engine to lift that thing while carrying a tank. Looking at it most people probably think that it is floating rather than flying becuase the skirt looks like a pontoon of some sort.
In fact it take several pricey gas turbine engines. Used to watch them come ashore down by Camp Pendelton when #2 son was stationed on one of the amphibious ships that transported them. He did get a ride and said it was the highlight of his life in the Navy. Read more here.

$28.4M for LCAC Marine Turbine Engines

Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM

313 posts, read 708,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My brother just bought a hovercraft for $1500. I do not undrestand.

Why doesn't everyone on earth have one of these? They are so incredibly cool (on the other hand my wife says it is the dumbest thing ever - must be a guy thing).

My brother's uses two lawn mower enginers. One is 6 H P (lift) and one is 16 hp). It is very simple and easy to maintain/repair. It will hold two people and go 35 mph. It will go over any more or less flat surface: water, sand, ice, snow, dirt, you name it.

Better ones hold more people and/or go faster. His will go faster with bigger motors. It can easily get up to 50 plus mph and the big ones (with 160 h.p motors) are really fast. Some of them are even capable of flying 10 feet in the air for short hops. It seems that they can go over anything. He drove his across the yard, over the pond, popped it up over the road and into the pond on the other side. As far as I cant tell it can be used on anything that is basically flat.

What is wierd to me is that I have never seen one before. Why arent these the most popular toys out there? They are affordable and super awesome. The only real ATV.
Because they are loud as hell.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
How about a hoverbike?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
They are loud. They also stop and handle like a boat. Really not safe for daily driving. They have downfalls like skirt punctures. My favorite offroad vehicle is the halftrack and like the halftrack it cant traverse everything. Even the navy one could get held up on rocks and bushes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles