U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 PM

1,042 posts, read 905,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Glad you made it through ReblTeen. What were the circumstances of your get-off, especially if it could help save someone else in the future?
I actually don't remember any of it...mind is blank from before I left work until I woke up in the hospital the next morning. I'm told I locked up the front wheel when traffic stopped in front of me and went over the handlebars. Bike flew and landed on me after I hit the guardrail. Next bike will have ABS, no doubt.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,175,856 times
I spent close to $2K on my race quality gear, bought the best I could find. Having spent 6 months in a hospital from my adventure in Viet Nam with the Marines (2.5 months in a body cast), I'm a fanatic about about safety and having the odds in my favor.

What other folks wear doesn't concern me. I do think its absolutely stupid to not wear quality gear but thats just my opinion. Many riders I see don't share my viewpoint - not my problem, except that I suspect they raise insurance rates for all riders.

Quality gear is not cheap but way more cost effective than the medical expenses (and pain) you incur if you go down. So far, I've gone down twice - both times the only damage was to my ride, I walked away with no physical injuries. I'll continue wearing the best gear my money will buy.

The "flip flop" crowd, in my view, do a public service in cleaning out the gene pool and providing a possible source of donor organs. I'm especially bemused with the riders who avoid/reject helmets - my general opinion is that their brains are not worth protecting and that they should be prohibited from breeding, BUT - they are an excellent source of donor organs. JMHO

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 06-17-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-17-2012, 08:36 AM

8,252 posts, read 4,718,512 times
Default Flip flops and no helmet

I see these potential organ donors all the time around here. And it's probably comfortable dress in the tropical Texas heat. But when I had my bike I always had on long sleeves, trousers, helmet, gloves, and substantial footwear, no matter how hot it was. I value my skin, old as it is. Just the other day, there was a 20-something on a big sport bike wearing shorts, a muscle shirt, flip flops and a bandana over his head, screaming through three lanes of heavy traffic. Hope he got home OK.

Some will survive long enough to become wiser.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,238,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Iron View Post
That can't be right. Decimal point in the wrong place maybe?
keep in mind the classification is SPORTS BIKE, from my experience with the average driver of one, I am surprised the numbers are not higher.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM

1,321 posts, read 1,758,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
The "flip flop" crowd, in my view, do a public service in cleaning out the gene pool and providing a possible source of donor organs.
Not just a "possible source", my wife had need of an ACL for her right knee several years back and her Dr said that more than half of all tissue comes from male's involved in motorcycle accidents. They are such good organ donors because they tend to be Young (20's) and in good shape.

As the saying goes (adapted from pilots/flying), "There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders" ~ I'll take being a sweaty, but old, rider any day.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:55 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,788,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 Letter Crap Spreader View Post
A friend of mine gets on the Harley with her husband and always wears short shorts, a tank top, flip flops and no helmet. This includes a lot of interstate and busy road travel. The worst part is she thinks it's OK.
Answering this specifically because she's a woman. In 10 years or so, she's going to be buying all sorts of expensive cremes and seeing her dermatologist to try and correct the sun/wind damage to her skin.

I hope she used a lot of sunscreen (and the correct kind as well Many sunscreens won )

Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,238,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Not just a "possible source", my wife had need of an ACL for her right knee several years back and her Dr said that more than half of all tissue comes from male's involved in motorcycle accidents. They are such good organ donors because they tend to be Young (20's) and in good shape.

As the saying goes (adapted from pilots/flying), "There are old riders, and there are bold riders, but there are no old, bold riders" ~ I'll take being a sweaty, but old, rider any day.

That is why they are called Donor-cycles ...

Years ago, I knew a stereotypical biker that had been riding forever and he said he would NEVER ride without boots, long pants, shirt, jacket, eye protection, and YES a helmet, many of his friends would be the same except the helmet part, he would joke they didn't have any brains to save anyway.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:52 AM

33,256 posts, read 27,271,631 times
Last bike I dropped was my 1980 Kawasaki KZ1300 six. Fortunately I was at an uphill stop and stalled trying to start. No damage to me or bike but I have decided to sell the beast. I am just too old for this big a bike. PM me for details.

I always wear a full face (modular) helmet and leather gloves but an less likely to wear my leather jacket in the summer.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:01 AM

3,161 posts, read 4,082,328 times
There is apparently no end to what people think flip-flops are appropriate for.

A girl next to me at the gym was wearing flip-flops - on the Treadmill.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:49 PM

14,183 posts, read 4,768,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I ride in tall hiking boots, full helmet, gloves, jacket and jeans. Even when its 90 outside. Ive ridden to the gas station in shorts and a shirt and was hyperalert the entire time and didn't like it at all. I'd rather sweat than bleed.
Heh - I'm an ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) fanatic myself. To the point where I'm now so on edge without proper gear, my riding skills go all to hell. Hot? Yes. Deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles