Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:36 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhack02 View Post
A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast.
If you're going to ride, you're going to have to be prepared for bad weather. Get a pair of Frogg Toggs and keep them in your backpack, saddlebag or whatever. There are a number of sites on the internet that will advise you on how to ride safely in the rain.

This has been one of the screwiest years in my memory for NC weather. I check each time I ride, but don't trust the forecast. A 10% chance of rain has seen me coming home from a ride drenched, while the choice to stay home because of a 60% forecast has me cussing at the cloudy, but rain free, sky all day.

Riding in the rain is not something I'd choose to do, but sometimes you get caught. Trying to outrun it is probably the worst thing to do - especially if you have to go that damned fast. Best just to wait it out if possible, then be careful of the wet roads once it has slacked off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:15 AM

396 posts, read 923,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Better sell it now if you are that scared from one ticket.
100% WRONG advice.
The only way to stay in a saddle is to be back in a saddle as soon as possible. Don't ride fast, that's it. Ride speed limit, ride 40-50 (yes, yes). Enjoy the ride, stay out of troubles.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM

396 posts, read 923,528 times
Another advise for you- get Motorcycle Excellence Book, you will find a lot of helpful advises.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Got clocked at 107 but scared of a ticket . . .
Sorry, no sympathy at all.
Lemme guess, under 30 ? Sportbike ?? That demographic has done irreparable damage to motorcycling.
If not, my opinion is still the same. Have to pay to play.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,413,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Got clocked at 107 but scared of a ticket . . .
Sorry, no sympathy at all.
Lemme guess, under 30 ? Sportbike ?? That demographic has done irreparable damage to motorcycling.
If not, my opinion is still the same. Have to pay to play.

How many over-30 sportbike riders do you see? I am on again, off again. Had a YZF600R (thundercat in the UK, lol at the similarity to your user name) until 36, still have a Ninja 250... and a Concours.

And just because that's what you see, doesn't mean all of us were Complete idiots all of the time. I made my own speeding mistake (though on an empty, rural VA road in the middle of the day on a weekday), then satisfied my needs on the track and rode/ride 'The Pace' since. I was... lets see, 23 years old then. So 16 years of riding no more than 10mph over the limit (sustained, bursts to pass where safe), and usually more like +5 to -5.

And the under 30 crowd does "irreparable damage" to Everything they get into. Just as you did when you were under 30 with whatever you were into at the time, and just as future generations will do. It's kinda what they do. It's a constant, just moves from things like cars and street racing to motorcycles and stunting.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
OP - Get a lawyer and see what happens. Riding in the rain is preferable to clearing 100+ in traffic. Learn not to do this again.

100+ on a bike is pretty quick but not crazy if you have a really clear road devoid of traffic or police. I wanted to see just how hard my old Kawasaki KZ 1300 would pull so I hit it cranked the throttle enough to nearly carry the front wheel in third gear. I backed off just over the ton at about 6 grand out of 8. I had a clear road devoid of cops so I got away with it.

I have been riding for over 40 years and am still capable of stupid as that story shows. I have real difficulties with that bike at parking lot speed so it is for sale. PM me for the lowest cost rocket ship available. It is on consignment in Nashua NH.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:06 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhack02 View Post
This past Saturday heading south on U S #1 with my buddy on motorcycles i was pulled by a under cover state trooper. He gave me 107 MPH in a 65 mph zone. He complimented me sevaral times for pulling over right away. A big storm was coming and my or my self have not rode in a storm so we were trying to get home fast. I'm scared because i don't know what going to happen to me. I know i was wrong and stupid but I have beaten up on myself all weekend now i need advise if i can get it. I don't know if I can ride again without being scared.
I don't see anywhere in this post about being arrested or anything beyond a ticket. Let's hypothetically say, I know something similar to this situation. If he gave you a ticket, you're going to pay a big fine, (upwards to 300 and more) and a point on your record like any other person on the road. What's with all the trolling on this guy about getting an attorney and better watch your back crap. He'll get a ticket in the mail, it will say do you admit the speed, sure. He'll then get another letter advised of payment and he'll get mandatory traffic school.

Quit freaking out.

BTW... To all those that think 100MPH on a sports bike is crazy, it isn't.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:59 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I don't see anywhere in this post about being arrested or anything beyond a ticket. Let's hypothetically say, I know something similar to this situation. If he gave you a ticket, you're going to pay a big fine, (upwards to 300 and more) and a point on your record like any other person on the road. What's with all the trolling on this guy about getting an attorney and better watch your back crap. He'll get a ticket in the mail, it will say do you admit the speed, sure. He'll then get another letter advised of payment and he'll get mandatory traffic school.

Quit freaking out.

BTW... To all those that think 100MPH on a sports bike is crazy, it isn't.
In VA, 19 over or anything over 80 is a reckless ticket if I remember right, not sure of other states. High dollar fine and more than a "point" on your record. 107mph could cost you your license. Not to say I haven't hit over 100, but I pray I don't get caught by a cop too if I'm doing it. There's a time and place for it, its called a track.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
In VA, 19 over or anything over 80 is a reckless ticket if I remember right, not sure of other states. High dollar fine and more than a "point" on your record. 107mph could cost you your license. Not to say I haven't hit over 100, but I pray I don't get caught by a cop too if I'm doing it. There's a time and place for it, its called a track.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 7.7 using Tapatalk 2
Laws on the west coast aren't as literal as the east coast.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:41 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Laws on the west coast aren't as literal as the east coast.
Yeah, you can lane split in CA, but not here in VA. Do it here, and the cop is the least of your worries...someone is more likely to open a car door on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles