Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Star motocycles website cites gouging prices?
Wake up. Harley dealers are price gouging, a fact that you would recognize if you opened your eyes.

Just try negotiating with a Harley dealership vs any other dealership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I've had my eye on this bike since I saw the release. I'm a big fan of the styling, a great mix of cruiser/sport/touring. That being said I also like the looks of the Iron 883, I just hope this will be a bit more powerful. I'm not a big fan of chrome, so I love that it is all blacked out and naked.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
I've had my eye on this bike since I saw the release. I'm a big fan of the styling, a great mix of cruiser/sport/touring. That being said I also like the looks of the Iron 883, I just hope this will be a bit more powerful. I'm not a big fan of chrome, so I love that it is all blacked out and naked.
The Bolt has 950cc and the 883 . . . well, 883cc. So it has just a little more power. My concern is quality. I know Yamaha products are top rate whereas HD (as much as I love their look/image) is spotty. I have a couple of friends who are always having to do something to their HD while I have an 86 Yamaha Radian that I have to do little to.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The Bolt has 950cc and the 883 . . . well, 883cc. So it has just a little more power. My concern is quality. I know Yamaha products are top rate whereas HD (as much as I love their look/image) is spotty. I have a couple of friends who are always having to do something to their HD while I have an 86 Yamaha Radian that I have to do little to.
Agreed. That being said, I couldnt see myself purchasing a first year model. Are they using the same 950 in any of their other bikes?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Agreed. That being said, I couldnt see myself purchasing a first year model. Are they using the same 950 in any of their other bikes?
According to Cycleworld.com, the Bolt is powered by the same 60-degree, four-valve-per-cylinder, 942cc V-Twin that Yamaha uses in its V Star 950. Here is the article: 2014 Star Bolt First Ride Review- Photo Gallery- Specs

Old 04-22-2013, 03:27 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post

Eh, Yamaha puts down 47HP, 56torque and the 883 does about the same HP (46) but less torque (47) ~ not too much difference and if those numbers really mean something you to (they don't to me, both have More than enough to do everything I need from a motorcycle), then the HD has way, Way, WAY more options for bumping that up. Pretty easy to get into the 60hp/60ft/lb torque range.

As for reliability/quality ~ modern HD's are pretty damn robust IMHO. I don't feel like I have a horse in this race as A) I don't like cruisers in the least and B) I'm decidedly a fan of Japanese motorcycles. Had a friend talk me into getting my HD factory certification back in 2000 (and his trade was that he'd do a Japanese cert as he was coming from a strictly HD background) ~ I was left very impressed. Very solidly build motorcycles that'll be around and kicking for a long time to come. TONS of support, parts (OEM and aftermarket), accessories, etc... especially once the bike gets to the decade point in its life. Japanese mfg. all but abandon their old models after 10~15 years, tons of NLA parts and lots never get any real aftermarket support in the first place.

It'd be hard to justify one or the other and ought to come down to personal preference. But to say that one is an Obvious choice, that'd be a foolish thing to say.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Eh, Yamaha puts down 47HP, 56torque and the 883 does about the same HP (46) but less torque (47) ~ not too much difference and if those numbers really mean something you to (they don't to me, both have More than enough to do everything I need from a motorcycle), then the HD has way, Way, WAY more options for bumping that up. Pretty easy to get into the 60hp/60ft/lb torque range.

As for reliability/quality ~ modern HD's are pretty damn robust IMHO. I don't feel like I have a horse in this race as A) I don't like cruisers in the least and B) I'm decidedly a fan of Japanese motorcycles. Had a friend talk me into getting my HD factory certification back in 2000 (and his trade was that he'd do a Japanese cert as he was coming from a strictly HD background) ~ I was left very impressed. Very solidly build motorcycles that'll be around and kicking for a long time to come. TONS of support, parts (OEM and aftermarket), accessories, etc... especially once the bike gets to the decade point in its life. Japanese mfg. all but abandon their old models after 10~15 years, tons of NLA parts and lots never get any real aftermarket support in the first place.

It'd be hard to justify one or the other and ought to come down to personal preference. But to say that one is an Obvious choice, that'd be a foolish thing to say.
I've never been able to understand why the Japanese don't support their legacy/older models. I've been lucky in having a local dealership that has stocked Honda products since the late 60's, and as such has a wicked back log of old parts. When it comes to new stuff, they carry what every other dealer has, but the olden goodies are great, they'll flip open the Rolodex and look up an old part number, then whalla ... here's your part.

Either engine is going to be pretty weak from my opinion, but the HD will have a dramatically more vast aftermarket support, especially if you'd like to add a few horsepower. The Yamaha won't have the trademark HD sound, and a few pounds of torque can make a heck of a difference when you leave the line. As long as Yamaha wasn't trying to replicate the HD feeling in their engine, I'd vote that the Yamaha will have a smoother running mill.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Wake up. Harley dealers are price gouging, a fact that you would recognize if you opened your eyes.

Just try negotiating with a Harley dealership vs any other dealership.

Wake up...Just because people like you say Harleys are twice the price and that they have mechanical issues, doesn't mean it's true.

Harleys are generally the same price as the clones and are built to be bullet proof and have been for at least the last 20 yrs.

Wake up...Buying a Harley clone, but not getting the dealership network, aftermarket and resale value that comes with a Harley, is a NOT a smart buy.

BTW I'm a Triumph homer...Harleys suck. Cruisers in general suck. But it's a joke to say that this wannabe Harley is "half the price"...Whatever the price difference is, you make it up when you sell the Harley. Good luck selling the Star.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:34 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
[quote=Dport7674;29258402]
Quote:
Wake up...Just because people like you say Harleys are twice the price and that they have mechanical issues, doesn't mean it's true.
You do realize that just because you say it isn't so does make it true, right? Your experience may be different that another's.

Quote:
Harleys are generally the same price as the clones and are built to be bullet proof and have been for at least the last 20 yrs
Do some shopping. Try any 2010 Harley 1300 as compared to any other brand of the same year and size. Go to the actual dealer and compare. When I have done this, the Harley was always several thousand dollars higher. You pay for the name.

Quote:
Wake up...Buying a Harley clone, but not getting the dealership network, aftermarket and resale value that comes with a Harley, is a NOT a smart buy.
Just what exactly do you consider a "Harley clone"? Most of the bikes out there are not trying to be like Harley, they want to be like themselves. Many other brands have a dealer network and their resale value compared to original price are at least comparable.

Quote:
BTW I'm a Triumph homer...Harleys suck. Cruisers in general suck. But it's a joke to say that this wannabe Harley is "half the price"...Whatever the price difference is, you make it up when you sell the Harley. Good luck selling the Star.
So you are not a Harley fan yet support them blindly. Have you ever wondered why there are more, percentage wise, used Harleys for sale than other brands? You might try some real research prior to spouting off about something you admit you do not like and in all probability have not researched, just repeated what others have told you.

For the record, I feel that Harley makes a good bike. Is it the best? That is a personal opinion for each individual.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Harley 1300?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles