Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times

Advertisements

First off, loud pipes are *NOT* just a HD/Cruiser thing... the sportbike guys do it too. It's just that they don't tend to hang out in gaggles around civilization (some do, but most go out looking for roads to ride fast). So you're exposed more to the cruiser rider.

I don't care why they do it, it doesn't Matter why they do it. The point is to get them to STOP doing it.

I know, for a fact, that loud pipes lose rights ~ I've seen it happen a dozen times over a few states. It's more and more businesses, Home Owners assoc, and other communities that are seeking to outright ban motorcycles. The apartment complex where my wife lived when we first met had a ban on them (this was 2000) ~ since I was motorcycle-only back then... and an idiot kid on a loud sportbike, it made for a difficult start to a relationship. There were already outdoor malls, restaurants, and HOAs that had banned motorcycles in Atlanta at that time too because of loud pipes.

And why does the above happen? Because there are LOTS more people to complain about loud pipes than there are people who support it. Hell, *I* don't support loud pipes... my local town tried to ban motorcycles just last year due to loud pipes ~ I hated going in and fighting that knowing that I was seen as on the side of those yahoos. But now I'm fighting for Aggressive noise ordnance enforcement since that was the major complaint from the hordes of wanna-bes who flood the town every weekend.

Yes, I agree that motorcycling is dangerous and it's important to make yourself noticed. But when's the last time you HEARD a motorcycle while driving, windows up, AC on, radio at a level where you can hear it clearly but not need to shout to have a conversation. Even in my 240k mile, 2001 car (certainly not as sound-proof as most vehicles on the road) the only time I hear those bikes is when I'm behind them or less than a car-length from them. I routinely pass those guys just so I don't have to listen to that sht (mind you, I've been a motorcyclist since 1992, and a HD factory trained and certified mechanic who went 8 years a motorcycle-only ~ I'm on the side of motorcyclists 99% of the time), and once I'm 2 car-lengths in front... even at 30mph, they're unheard.

Look at this further, what do Most motorcyclists fear in terms of being hit? Someone hitting them from behind? Or someone turning left into/infront of them? The 2nd one right... so Forward visibility, where noise would have to bounce off an object to reach (at a much delayed and far reduced level). Why don't we see more headlight modulators? Shoot, why don't we see more people who install GOOD horns? Both are things I do before I even ride a motorcycle for the first time. While there May be a very time amount of gain on the personal level for loud pipes, there is Massive group-level loss. Get enough people annoyed and the complaints will be about how the privilege to ride a motorcycle is so hard to get/was revoked, or that you can't own one where you live and not that you 'should' be allowed to make as much noise as you want.

Remember, your rights only extended as far as the next person who has to hear/see/tolerate you. I have the right to not listen to loud pipes (or smell tobacco smoke).

It's really a huge shame that the motorcycling population is SO fractured. It's that division that makes the group weak and easy to block/ignore/forget.

And not everyone wears black, or leather.... This is my gear if I'm on a sportbike, tourer, cruiser or dual-sport (so hard to catch high-viz yellow on camera):

Old 05-19-2013, 10:28 AM

18 posts, read 72,740 times
HI,

I think the loud pipes are partially for the "cool" factor BUT often times performance enhancements (i.e. less exhaust back pressure for greater horsepower and performance) make for a louder exhaust note.

I suppose there is something to the noise VS safety aspect because many hybrid cars (i.e. electric or in electric only mode) have noise generators so pedestrians can hear them and not step out in front of a relatively silent car.

Andrew

Old 05-19-2013, 10:39 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
How loud it gets is determined by the throttle . Bikes that blast cars that they are riding beside distract the car drivers and can cause accidents. You can have straight pipes you can still keep the noise down when you are beside cars IF YOU WANT TO.The ones that dont want to are the problem.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:49 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
"Loud pipes save lives" is a bit overrated. But the way I look at it is that any advantage I can get - even an exaggerated advantage - is still an advantage. When I ride, I try to make myself as visible as possible and people still pull out in front of me.

I've heard Harleys that I thought were too loud. And I'm not defending people that sit in their driveway and just rev their bike for an hour. But "noise behind you is noise unheard." isn't always true. I've heard bikes coming up behind me before. Probably the same type of bikes yall are complaining about. If me living to see tomorrow means that you are slightly annoyed - I'm fine with that.

Also, lots of bikes need to be reved at stop to keep the engine running. Unless you want to sit through a green light while someone has to restart their bike.
If a motorcycle needs to be "reved" at a stop light to keep the engine running then it is literally junk. There isn't one street motorcycle brand or model that needs to be reved while idling to keep running. "Blipping" the throttle is nothing more than ignorant riders with self esteem issues and the hey look at me attitude.

Annoyed people will do things to you. I've been riding for over 40 years and never once had to rev my engine to keep it running. I invested in maintenance, knowledge and skills to keep my machines running as they should.

You know what happens when you as a motorcycle rider annoy others in some misguided intent to make people aware of you? They open doors as you split lanes, they spit out of windows, flick cigarettes in your face at highway speeds, they change lanes in front of you and all that. You're on a motorcycle, they are in a car or truck. Who do you think wins? Then we have the people who think they will win in court if there is an accident. Great, there you are in a wheelchair sucking baby food through a straw but you showed them, you won the lawsuit. I wonder what they think as they walk out of court and head to a Starbucks for a latte as you wait for someone to push your wheelchair into the escalator as you head for your new liftchair fitted minivan.

There is no proof and no evidence at all that loud pipes on a motorcycle save lives. Loud noises startle people, just what you want as you pass some elderly person with their window down as you blast them with stupid loud pipes. They jerk the steering wheel and send you into oncoming traffic. You sure showed them.

You want to be seen? Stop thinking aggressive behavior while riding does anything but make people mad at you. Wear clothing that makes to visible. Those black leathers, oh joy, as Mr. Cruiser gets run over by the Camry. Make sure your lights and horn are working. Stop blipping your throttle at stop lights and instead pay attention to where you are and where everyone else is.

Here is a clue for all the loud pipe advocates. Get into a Ford or Lincoln or even something like a Lexus and roll up the windows. Then turn on some music and turn it up a bit, just like the people on their way home after a hard day at work. Make sure you have that drink of coffee handy and just to complete the scenario, get that handsfree mobile phone working full time. Yeah, call your spouse, child or friend and start making weekend plans.

You really think these people give a heck about your loud pipes? You really think they hear you?

Good luck with that. Do everyone a favor, sign your organ donor card, we'll be needing those.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:59 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Also, lots of bikes need to be reved at stop to keep the engine running. Unless you want to sit through a green light while someone has to restart their bike.
99.99% of these bikes that need to be revved at a stoplight to keep from stalling could be fixed by simply adjusting the idle, usually just turning one little screw about 1/4 of a turn. I am amazed at how many people that claim to live the 'biker' lifestyle do not know how to do even the most basic maintenance. One very special "chopper" rider that lives in my neighborhood was telling me how his bike was so powerful that it snaps its chain when he gives it too much gas from a dead stop. I looked at his chain and was not surprised, as there was not a millimeter of slack when all 280 lbs or so of him was sitting on the bike, and it was dry as a bone as well.

I don't really have that much of a problem with loud pipes as long as the rider drives conscientiously when in neighborhoods or parks where people have a reasonable expectation of peace. Even the loudest bikes will not be that loud if you keep the RPMs low, and there is really no reason to open up the throttle in a residential area. I know that it may seem the height of bad-ass to some people to treat every stop sign like a drag race and to triple the speed limit on a suburban street, but literally no living person is impressed by engine noise besides the one sitting on the bike.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
I do think there's such a thing as a motorcycle that's too loud. I'm not defending everyone that has very loud pipes. I know I personally wouldn't want an extremely loud bike. On another thread someone said they didn't like their neighbor that just revved his Harley for an hour. I'm not defending that. I'm not defending douchebag behavior.

My bike is pretty quiet. It's certainly much quieter than many trucks with aftermarket exhaust. It has the stock intake and exhaust and I have no plans to change them. Even if I rev it to redline it's still much quieter than a Harley.

All I was trying to say was: An overrated advantage is still an advantage. I'm a big fan of high viz protective gear. I wear a red Joe Rocket jacket and a red full face helmet. I ride with my bright light on most of the time. I ride as defensively as possible. I don't stay in a person's blind spot. I do everything I can to be as conspicuous and safe as possible and I still have people pull out in front of me. I still have people that change lanes too close and almost hit me. There are still people that forget I'm there.

Now I don't have 40 years of riding experience, only two. But I started out trying to not rev my bike. I tried not to be the guy you all are complaining about. You know where that got me?

My bike has a carburetor. On cold mornings, if I don't rev it it'll die. You know where not reving my bike got me? It meant that it died a few times at stop lights.

So now I rev it. I don't redline it, I just give it enough gas to keep the engine going. But hey, if your car is really as sound proof as you say, then this shouldn't be a problem, right? Right?!

And my bike only had about 7,000 miles on it when I bought it. Yes, I understand that adjusting the idle will effect that. But when you're running a carbureted engine that's cold, there's really only so much you can do.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You know what happens when you as a motorcycle rider annoy others in some misguided intent to make people aware of you? They open doors as you split lanes, they spit out of windows, flick cigarettes in your face at highway speeds, they change lanes in front of you and all that. You're on a motorcycle, they are in a car or truck. Who do you think wins? Then we have the people who think they will win in court if there is an accident. Great, there you are in a wheelchair sucking baby food through a straw but you showed them, you won the lawsuit. I wonder what they think as they walk out of court and head to a Starbucks for a latte as you wait for someone to push your wheelchair into the escalator as you head for your new liftchair fitted minivan.
That's why I ride defensively and wear high viz gear. I don't road rage when I'm on a bike. If I see some jerk is trying to cause problems I drop back and do my best to avoid a confrontation. Even if the rider is in the right, it's not worth getting into a wreck just to prove a point.

Many people in automobiles will drive in a rude, stupid, careless and aggressive manner without any provocation on the rider's part. Do you really think I care about the guy who almost ran me over? Why should I care if he is minorly annoyed at the volume of my pipes? I think most people would agree that killing someone is a worse crime than being minorly annoyed for a few seconds.

There are plenty of instances where an automobile driver has tried to block a rider from legally lane splitting. Why? I really don't understand this. The most common reason I hear is "I didn't want him to pass me."

Really? You're going to assault, possibly kill, someone just because you don't like what they're doing? Just because you are stuck in traffic and miserable you think everyone else should be the same way too? That sort of attitude isn't mature, logical or safe. Even if someone is being a jerk, it's not your place to run into them.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:00 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
I used to put a baseball card in my bicycle spokes when I was 7 years old. Some guys still do, so to speak.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:36 PM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Now I don't have 40 years of riding experience, only two. But I started out trying to not rev my bike. I tried not to be the guy you all are complaining about. You know where that got me?

My bike has a carburetor. On cold mornings, if I don't rev it it'll die. You know where not reving my bike got me? It meant that it died a few times at stop lights.

So now I rev it. I don't redline it, I just give it enough gas to keep the engine going. But hey, if your car is really as sound proof as you say, then this shouldn't be a problem, right? Right?!

And my bike only had about 7,000 miles on it when I bought it. Yes, I understand that adjusting the idle will effect that. But when you're running a carbureted engine that's cold, there's really only so much you can do.
I just wanted to comment on this part. Revving especially a cold engine is not good, use the choke and keep a constant, slightly higher RPM (1500-2200) and that should be sufficient if not you either need to check your carbs or check for an air leak.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Loud pipes are OK when "loud" means just loud enough that I can tell that a motorcycle is off of my car's rear quarter even if I didn't see its approach.

Loud pipes are not OK when "loud" means LOUD ENOUGH TO BLAST THE EARS OFF A BRASS MONKEY AT 1000 YARDS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles