Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 02:47 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,821,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
I think now would be the appropriate time to go on a long ******-fest about how you're destroying the environment, all for your own selfish pleasure. And don't try to hind behind the idea that dirt bikes aren't ear-splittingly loud...
We have designated OHV areas in which we can destroy nature. I don't ride on hiking/mountain biking trails. I have private land to ride on but don't out of consideration of our neighbors. Our roads are also private and allow the use of OHV.

Two strokes are loud and annoying up close but the sound does not travel as far as a 4-stoke and no where near as loud as a straight piped v-twin (which can be heard miles away) Not to mention I don't ride the moto thru neighborhoods and/or at night.

If a person doesn't want the OHV noise, then it is their choice to avoid these areas. I don't think anyone would be complaining too much if you only used your loud pipes on the track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:57 PM

46,890 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
We can all go back and read what I said, so I'll ask you a third time: Is that what I said?
It rather seemed implied, yet you seem insistent it wasn't.

So one is left to wonder what exactly "expecting everyone in the world to play by your rules, and not bother you, is about as self-centered as it gets" is supposed to signify in a thread about loud exhausts.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:00 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,008,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
We have designated OHV areas in which we can destroy nature. I don't ride on hiking/mountain biking trails. I have private land to ride on but don't out of consideration of our neighbors. Our roads are also private and allow the use of OHV.

Two strokes are loud and annoying up close but the sound does not travel as far as a 4-stoke and no where near as loud as a straight piped v-twin (which can be heard miles away) Not to mention I don't ride the moto thru neighborhoods and/or at night.

If a person doesn't want the OHV noise, then it is their choice to avoid these areas. I don't think anyone would be complaining too much if you only used your loud pipes on the track.
Sounds like an awful lot of excuse-making to me.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It rather seemed implied, yet you seem insistent it wasn't.

So one is left to wonder what exactly "expecting everyone in the world to play by your rules, and not bother you, is about as self-centered as it gets" is supposed to signify in a thread about loud exhausts.
Let me help you:
1. Always consider context. What was that sentence a response to?
2. Read what a sentence says, not what you think it says, or what you want it to say.

These two steps will go a long, long ways toward truly understanding what is being said.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:38 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,821,899 times
Quote:
Sounds like an awful lot of excuse-making to me.
I'm sorry you don't see the distinction (shrug).

I'm being loud and obnoxious in a designated area that has no residents, just campers doing the same thing as me. My bike complies with the decibel rating set out by the public for OHV use (96 db).

You're being loud and obnoxious on public roads at all hours of the day and night in residential areas.
Straight pipes are around 110-120 decibels and the lower frequencies pass through walls and carries a lot further (this is physic not opinion).

There is no getting away from that type of selfish behavior (with the exception of a gated community with a HOA that bans loud pipes).

But the the thing that really makes me ROTFLMAO is that you claim it's for Safety.

Not one believes that. It's for attention, nothing else.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
I'm sorry you don't see the distinction (shrug).

I'm being loud and obnoxious in a designated area that has no residents, just campers doing the same thing as me. My bike complies with the decibel rating set out by the public for OHV use (96 db).

You're being loud and obnoxious on public roads at all hours of the day and night in residential areas.
Straight pipes are around 110-120 decibels and the lower frequencies pass through walls and carries a lot further (this is physic not opinion).

There is no getting away from that type of selfish behavior (with the exception of a gated community with a HOA that bans loud pipes).

But the the thing that really makes me ROTFLMAO is that you claim it's for Safety.

Not one believes that. It's for attention, nothing else.
First of all, I am NOT being loud and obnoxious, so you can save that tripe. I have medium-sounding pipes on my bike, and I'm very careful about its sound.

Second, you are out in the midst of a fragile ecosystem, blowing totally unnecessary pollution into the air, tearing up extremely fragile soil and leaving it open to horrible erosion, disrupting wildlife habitat and undoubtedly killing some wildlife, and are running an extremely high risk of starting a fire that could burn down tens of thousands of acres. And for NO reason than your own pleasure.

I'd say that what you're doing is 100x worse than ANYTHING I do. Ever. And what's even worse is that you're obsessing over what you THINK I'm doing, while totally ignoring the horrible things you are doing.

See how easy that is?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,522,552 times
Loud bikes don't bother me - I like a nice deep rumble. However, revving a bike just for the sake of attention bugs me.

The one exception is when driving through areas with lots of high-end cars, like the touristy part of La Jolla - then I love hearing bikes setting off the car alarms. It makes me feel like a giggly girl. It's probably the only bad thing I enjoy.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:49 PM

26 posts, read 38,568 times
Unhappy If only it were true.......

Quote:
The more we complain about loud exhausts and obnoxious motorcycles, the more
riders will modify their pipes. They will do it to spite you. Best
form of action? Just ignore them... you'll see a change. Same goes for loud
cars.

OMG I wish ignoring worked!! My neighbor has the loudest 3 cars on the planet and it annoys the crap out of me . I've ignored it for 7 LONG years. It has not gotten better. In fact now his teenage kid getting in on it also. My only choice is to move. My land here has been in my family for 64 years. Me and DH have worked ourselves ragged making a nice place here with our limited money and skills. We have 10 acres but are only 100 feet from neighbor. When we sell we will have to get much less property and house. Financial reasons, health reasons. It is so wrong that people are allowed to run you out because the are such selfish inconsiderate blank blanks. So sorry I have to disagree IGNORING DOES NOT WORK. There need to be laws.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:53 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,522,552 times
I'm far more concerned about wreckless driving than a loud muffler.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,031,033 times
If something is a pain in the ass, people will complain. If the people being pains in the ass continue being pains in the ass, then those whose asses are in pain will likely seek some recourse to alleviate said rectal discomfort. In this case, passing laws against obnoxiously loud exhaust pipes (which have been illegal on cars for quite some time now).

Now those people have a cause to take action; you can continue to be a pain in the ass with your obnoxiously loud pipes, but the men with guns can now haul you to court over it and make you fork over a sizable amount of coin to the guy in the robe that likes to bang his hammer around, forcing you to reconsider whether your being a pain in everyone's asses was worth losing the fruits of a week of labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles