Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk2006 View Post
I have seen estimates that as many as 90 percent of Harley owners have illegally modified their exhausts. This is not a "few bad apples" we are talking about but the overwhelming majority of Harley riders, though they are not the only culprits. I don't think an across the board ban on these bikes would be unfair considering the harm they do. Maybe it will "wake up" (no irony intended) some of these self-centered, attention-seeking jackrabbits to the fact there is a limit to how much anti-social BS people are willing to tolerate.

If you don't want a ban then you had better start showing some respect for other people's rights and obey the law. The pendulum is definitely swinging in the direction of zero tolerance and many communities have now banned all bikes outright due to the obnoxious behavior of many riders.
Yeah, sure... Ban the top selling motorcycle brand. That would be great for America.

You'd Probably Never Guess That This Is the World's Best-Selling Motorcycle Brand (HMC, HOG)

And where exactly are these communities where bikes are currently "banned?" Send me a list of these places so I can plan a road trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk2006 View Post
I have seen estimates that as many as 90 percent of Harley owners have illegally modified their exhausts. This is not a "few bad apples" we are talking about but the overwhelming majority of Harley riders, though they are not the only culprits. I don't think an across the board ban on these bikes would be unfair considering the harm they do. Maybe it will "wake up" (no irony intended) some of these self-centered, attention-seeking jackrabbits to the fact there is a limit to how much anti-social BS people are willing to tolerate.

If you don't want a ban then you had better start showing some respect for other people's rights and obey the law. The pendulum is definitely swinging in the direction of zero tolerance and many communities have now banned all bikes outright due to the obnoxious behavior of many riders.
Both are annoying, but I would take the loud rumble of a cruiser over the hi-pitched squeal of a I4 with a D&D pipe or other can type pipe on a squid bike . . .
All segments of motorcycling has annoying people. Big 4 cruisers have loud pipes with the same frequency of HD riders. If anyone is going to get banned (will never happen) it will be in the squid/sportbike segment. Insurance industry stats have them making payouts for wrecked bikes at an abnormally high rate within the first 90 days of ownership. Yeah, cruiser cro-mags with LOOK @ ME pipes are annoying and dopey as can be, but a squid running a corner wide into your lane is way more of a real safety hazard. Something tells me loud pipes wouldn't save anyone in that situation--lol

Old 07-03-2015, 01:40 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yeah, sure... Ban the top selling motorcycle brand. That would be great for America.
What is happening is a requirement that aftermarket exhausts be approved or become illegal. That of course means most will close shop and effectively end exhaust modifications across the board. Yet another fun thing restricted because inconsiderate people couldn't handle the responsibility.

Oh, and your link points out that HD has a very small market share. Not even in the top five.

Quote:
The world's best-selling motorcycle brand

If you said Yamaha, Hero MotoCorp, Bajaj Auto, or Suzuki, you deserve a pat on the back, as you accurately identified numbers two through five in terms of annual motorcycle sales in 2013. These companies' sales ranged from just over 2 million total units last year to up to 6 million.

However, if you said Honda (NYSE: HMC ) then you should have real bragging rights as you correctly guessed the world's top-selling motorcycle brand.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 07-03-2015 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 01:51 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyRunner View Post
Don't forget that most of those mods involve removing a catalytic converter.

You don't even have to buy into "climate change" to see how this is a bad thing; just take a look at the haze that lingers around just about any city.
Yeah, I can go outside and smell the smoke and see the haze...
Oh, wait, that is from forest fires in Washington and Canada.
Well, I can see the black smoke on the highways...
Oh, wait, that is from the juiced up diesel trucks "rolling coal", pretending to be early 1950s Detroit Diesel 12V71s.
Well, I can hear the noise...
Oh, wait, that is from the little Hondas (yes, a few others, but mostly Hondas) with the "fart-can" exhaust tips!
wow! there goes a noisy Harley...
Oh, wait, that isn't a Harley, it is a Harley clone!
Oh, well...

Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Look at Me! I'm Cool" riders.
Yep, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME EVERYONE!!!!!" That is what it is all about. Kind of silly really, but whatever. Not the brightest bulbs, so you really can't fault them. They don't have the capacity to get much of anything other than go to work and drink a beer while trying to show everyone how powerful they are on their loud bike. I usually just chuckle when I see them, unless they are a Pagan. Then I don't bother them. They are a different breed and not to be messed with.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:33 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
Obviously this should be in the motorcycle section, but there I'm just preaching to the choir.

We've seen plenty of citizens attempting to take a stand against loud motorcycles, even creating activist groups like mecalm.org. This is a bad idea. You a. dealing with a culture that is inherently rebellious and fairly familiar with being disliked. The more we complain about loud exhausts and obnoxious motorcycles, the more riders will modify their pipes. They will do it to spite you. Some riders are tricked into believing that loud pipes save lives, others want attention, and some may just like the way their bikes sound... but the majority are seeking attention and counteracting those who complain about loud exhausts. By forming these groups, constantly speaking out about it, looking bikers directions, giving them dirty looks, etc, you are giving them both attention and a reason to annoy you (because they know it pisses you off... rebellious nature). Best form of action? Just ignore them... you'll see a change. Same goes for loud cars.

Not trying to start a debate. I'm obviously a motorcyclist myself and a huge advocate of incentives for riders (lane splitting, hov lanes, etc)... Just jaded from hearing people constantly complain about motorcycles and getting nowhere.
Asking them if it's them or the bike that sounds like it's farting a hole in the space-time continuum works best.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:34 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yep, "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME EVERYONE!!!!!" That is what it is all about. Kind of silly really, but whatever. Not the brightest bulbs, so you really can't fault them. They don't have the capacity to get much of anything other than go to work and drink a beer while trying to show everyone how powerful they are on their loud bike. I usually just chuckle when I see them, unless they are a Pagan. Then I don't bother them. They are a different breed and not to be messed with.
Guessing you've never ridden a motorcycle? Yes my pipes are loader than stock, its because the dolts in the 4 wheeled cages can't bother to keep track of the traffic around them and because they have the stereo cranked up singing along to the latest Taylor Swift song, so when they start pulling into my lane I can crack the throttle to awaken them from their mindless stupor.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yeah, I can go outside and smell the smoke and see the haze...
Oh, wait, that is from forest fires in Washington and Canada.
Well, I can see the black smoke on the highways...
Oh, wait, that is from the juiced up diesel trucks "rolling coal", pretending to be early 1950s Detroit Diesel 12V71s.
Well, I can hear the noise...
Oh, wait, that is from the little Hondas (yes, a few others, but mostly Hondas) with the "fart-can" exhaust tips!
wow! there goes a noisy Harley...
Oh, wait, that isn't a Harley, it is a Harley clone!
Oh, well...
So because others do it, it's OK that you do it?

Spare me. Enjoy dicking over the rest of society.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 AM

281 posts, read 368,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Guessing you've never ridden a motorcycle? Yes my pipes are loader than stock, its because the dolts in the 4 wheeled cages can't bother to keep track of the traffic around them and because they have the stereo cranked up singing along to the latest Taylor Swift song, so when they start pulling into my lane I can crack the throttle to awaken them from their mindless stupor.
Or you can just honk your horn... This "loud pipes save lives" business is just an excuse for attention seekers. I love the rumble of a V8, a big twin, or an I4 screaming at 12,000 RPM's as much as the next guy, but when dogs put their tail between their legs and kids cover their ears as you ride by, your damn bike is too loud, and you've crossed the line from exercising your rights to violating others'.

And it's interesting, isn't it, that we always berate the "4 wheeled cages" when very very few of us ONLY commute on motorcycles. Everyone else is the idiot; it's never us. I never ride in groups because I'm tired of listening to people constantly play the victim. Bicyclists do it, bikers do it, nurses do it, teachers do it, just about any group of people do it. I put 10,500 miles on my bike last year according to Fuelly and 4,700 so far this year, so don't pull the "you've never ridden a motorcycle" card.

Quit whining, assume people don't see you, and enjoy the ride. Idiots pilot everything from Suburbans to Miatas to Road Kings to Ninja 250's.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:27 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I have ridden since 1996, including roughly 50,000 commuter miles on LA freeways, and in cases like that, I use my horn. Which is nice, because it turns off again and so I don't have to annoy everyone, all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles