Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 AM

5 posts, read 3,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
My nerves and peace of mind are stressed knowing that one would want to cap, muffle, silence, and restrict the amazing act of combustion. The science of what is going on is amazing. Im offended that you would deliberately put a muffler on something like that.

Complain, thats OK. That's a right. Nobody is going to force you to like it. Just dont try to force me to not enjoy what I like. Thats all I ask. Just deal with it. I deal with every Prius that gets in my path too. See, everybody has their likes and dislikes. Thats America for ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
The vast majority of us don't do that. I respect my neighbors and try really hard to keep the throttle down when I'm anywhere around them. In fact, I try to avoid making noise in anyone's "neighborhood." But, when I am out on the open road I ride loud. I am absolutely certain that it has saved my life several times. I've been riding for 32 years. Loud pipes save lives. They just do. They might annoy you, but that's the point.

Annoying me while I'm driving and trying to enjoy the scenery, my friends' conversations, instead of listening to your passive-aggressive noise, is just NOT a good idea. I see you coming, making all that disgusting noise, and I flash my brights, ride my horn, til your garbage is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I put it down to the "hey look at me" attitude combined with "Perceived Acoustic Power". If it is loud it must be powerful.

I am not without sin in this regard. I have an antique Kawasaki KX 1300 6 cylinder sport bike with stock mufflers that have been "drilled out". That thing howls above 5 grand at 3/4 or more power. I do too as that bike is really quick.

It is for sale at a reasonable price. PM me for details.

Why don't you just take it apart and make Christmas tree ornaments?

Old 10-23-2016, 03:11 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I live in a neighborhood where hearing motorcycle noise won't be much of an issue now. I don't agree that the exhaust saves lives though because I almost hit one with a loud exhaust on accident. The problem is the exhaust noise goes the wrong direction.. to alert cars and scare off deer you'd want the noise directed in front of you, not behind you.

There are times I light heartedly think about lobbing hand grenades at loud pipe users or getting out my AR-15 and getting in some target practice but I'm a law abiding citizen so I just go and play some GTA V instead. haha.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The biggest threat to bikers is really themselves and not the people in "cages". The stats are pretty bad and we've discussed them here before but in fatal motorcycle accidents the incidence of alcohol, excessive speed etc. is something like 5-10x higher than for cars.

I don't wish anyone harm and certainly for SAFE riders the threat profile is different but the meme that the real threat is other cars isn't reality for the majority of cyclists. The couple guys I've known that have died on bikes all did themselves in by the way they were riding.

I really don't mind them killing themselves off, except when they endanger others, who don't think making noise, burning gasoline, violating traffic laws, are the highpoints of entertainment.

Old 10-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The biggest threat to bikers is really themselves and not the people in "cages". The stats are pretty bad and we've discussed them here before but in fatal motorcycle accidents the incidence of alcohol, excessive speed etc. is something like 5-10x higher than for cars.

I don't wish anyone harm and certainly for SAFE riders the threat profile is different but the meme that the real threat is other cars isn't reality for the majority of cyclists. The couple guys I've known that have died on bikes all did themselves in by the way they were riding.

I'll put my money on the dolts in their cages, over you fat, stupid, ugly egomaniacs, any day, as far as being in safe, prudent traffic goes. The argument that the noise you make keeps you safe in pure passive-aggressive BS. It more likely will generate an unsafe startle-response than make other drivers 'aware' of your presence. Keep you noise and your recklessness at home. Just keep driving around your own block, and see how long the windows in your trailer last.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:01 PM

18 posts, read 19,435 times
Loud pipes do not save lives. Being a good rider does, as well as lane splitting and filtering.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrabbit View Post
Loud pipes do not save lives. Being a good rider does, as well as lane splitting and filtering.

I used to work with a subscriber to the 'loud pipes save lives' theory, of course he'd also proudly tell you he never used the front brake.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 AM

143 posts, read 177,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
Yes, I do. Its 100% intentional. It's just as ridiculous as people calling the loud ones small penis whatevers.

All I'm trying to say is we live in this friggin awesome county where we have this freedom. Yet we get people who dislike something that really is not a big deal, make a stink about it, get lil local ordinances passed ruining the fun for many others.

If one does not like loud pipes, then don't put them on. If one does not like tattoos, then dont get one. If you have some punk that is screaming up and down neighborhoods at 4 am wide open, go after them.

This is what our county has come too. Nothing but crybabies who cry about every little thing. Seriously, if you dont like it, there are plenty of other counties that will dictate your life. Let us who want to live free, and just deal with the things we dont like, because its worth doing to have the freedom then to give it up.
You're pretty dim, making flippant statements like "If one does not like loud pipes, then don't put them on."

Are you serious? The people getting their lives disrupted are not installing the blamed things!

Noise pollution is a very big deal and you can't cover it up with pseudo-patriotic nonsense. If it was a harmless "freedom" thing, the complaints wouldn't be nearly as numerous to begin with. The noise war was started by the noisy, you conveniently forget. Actual freedom gives nobody the right to infringe on others' quality of life.

This stuff doesn't need to be explained to decent adults.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:29 AM

143 posts, read 177,937 times
Default You people are just no good

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf450ish View Post
Oh wow another crybaby thread about loud exhausts. You know Ive found my own solution to people who whine about people having fun on their ATVs and ORVs and dirtbikes.....EARPLUGS!, because I'm a motocross rider who occasionally starts my bike up at home.....My neighbor always comes flying out of his house waving his arms and making him self look like he's a having a seizure because I fired my bike up for 3 mins(thats it, just barely ran it). So I politely placed a few packs of ear plugs in his mailbox.

http://3mcollision.com/media/catalog...d-Earplugs.jpg

Put these in if you dont wanna hear loud exhausts...
You're just another sociopath, lacking common decency and empathy. Your kind comes out of the woodwork whenever megalomaniac behavior is questioned. Be aware that nobody's impressed except your cronies.

The depressing part is that the gene pool that produces such selfishness has been stubbornly persistent. There is no end to this nonsense.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,030,278 times
Nothing like loud pipes to wake up your neighbors at all times of the day or night. How inconsiderate. Helmets save lives. Loud pipes make you deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles