Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
My neigbor has a diesel truck. He works odd hours and often has to leave in the middle of the night, or gets home then. Guess what? It doesn't bother me 'cause it takes up maybe 2 minutes of the night. Hell, I tend to sleep through it now, as I've gotten used to it. Unless your neighbor with the bike is doing it constantly for hours or more, I'd bet he only goes by ONCE in a night and it only takes a measured 30 seconds. Seriously, measure it.

Funny how the only time anyone seems to hear these things, it's in the middle of the night, they have a small child, and it's their neighbor. And talking to the neighbor is never a damn option. Only banning it for everyone. Because busybodies are like that.

I live in the same world as you guys. There's loud cars and trucks, there's Harleys, there's sirens, there's dogs barking, there's semis with jake brakes, there's kids yelling all night long. I've chosen to not let it bother me, as it hasn't yet harmed me in any way, in 50 years of living on this planet. What has bothered me, though, is the erosion of freedom due to busybodies banning everything that annoys them, or that they personally don't like, in the name of being a nuisance.
Wierd how I never called for banning anything, I just pointed out that the guy GUNNED the motorcycle in front of my house at 6AM. He wasn't a direct neighbor either, he just cut through our neighborhood.

So next time you strawman me saying I'm calling for bans....maybe scoop up your bi-focals and re-read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
eaders, hiflo cats, x-over, out some duals sounds dang good. You wont see me romping up and down the neighborhoods waking everybody, but I could if I wanted to.
Why don't you?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:16 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Is your freedom to enjoy your "loud time" more valuable than my (and other's) freedom to enjoy lunch on a sidewalk patio without some d-bag on his Harley revving excessively?
It's not about who's time is more valuable. We all have rights. Why should I have to stop doing what I like to please you? You have the same dang right to do the same thing to a bike as I do.

I checked the laws, and during the daytime, d-bag on Harley can rev. So can chainsaws, chippers, weedeaters, mowers, cars, etc.

I totally get what you are saying though. I wouldnt want to listen to some excessive revving while I eat either, but its life. You cant always get what YOU want. Just let the d-bag move on, continue eating or find a quite area away from all the noise to eat. I expect nobody to cater to my wants and neither should anybody else. Of course, this is within reason.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
It's not about who's time is more valuable. We all have rights. Why should I have to stop doing what I like to please you? You have the same dang right to do the same thing to a bike as I do.

I checked the laws, and during the daytime, d-bag on Harley can rev. So can chainsaws, chippers, weedeaters, mowers, cars, etc.

I totally get what you are saying though. I wouldnt want to listen to some excessive revving while I eat either, but its life. You cant always get what YOU want. Just let the d-bag move on, continue eating or find a quite area away from all the noise to eat. I expect nobody to cater to my wants and neither should anybody else. Of course, this is within reason.
No one's rights are unlimited. You don't really have an unlimited right to make noise with your vehicles unless you are on a race track. The limits are probably not precisely defined, although some noise ordinances can be pretty specific.

I don't think someone has a right to live in silence. That is unrealistic. But most communities think it is reasonable for a place where people live to have noise limits. It just like apartments. Your neighbor can't listen to loud music or movies when it intrudes on their neighbors.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:

This is what our county has come too. Nothing but crybabies who cry about every little thing. Seriously, if you dont like it, there are plenty of other counties that will dictate your life. Let us who want to live free, and just deal with the things we dont like, because its worth doing to have the freedom then to give it up.
It's not the crybabies who are spoiling it for you, it's the abusers. What have you done to curb the abuse? Have you put on your motorcycle gear and represented your fellow cyclists at city council meetings, to voice you disapproval of cycles with loud pipes, and supported anti-noise ordinances that would reduce or stop the abusers, in order to protect the rights of all the rest of you? Your voice would carry a lot more weight than mine, and using it is another of your rights.

Just curious -- how would you like it if, several times a day, a vehicle went by your house giving off a terrible stench, like a skunk, and you couldn't do anything about it? Do you think it is OK to have somebody impose a terrible noise on people, but not OK for a terrible stink? What is the difference? Do you blame crybabies for laws against terrible smells in the atmosphere?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-01-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No one's rights are unlimited. You don't really have an unlimited right to make noise with your vehicles unless you are on a race track. The limits are probably not precisely defined, although some noise ordinances can be pretty specific.

I don't think someone has a right to live in silence. That is unrealistic. But most communities think it is reasonable for a place where people live to have noise limits. It just like apartments. Your neighbor can't listen to loud music or movies when it intrudes on their neighbors.
I understand that, thats why I said within reason. For a bike to be driving by, its fine. Not worth losing sleep over.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,947,123 times
Quote:
Why should I have to stop doing what I like to please you? You have the same dang right to do the same thing to a bike as I do.
Conversely, why should everyone else have to put up with the annoying racket just because you like to make an annoying racket? At least lawn mowers and weed wackers have a more useful purpose.

I have absolutely no desire to do the same thing to a bike as you.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not the crybabies who are spoiling it for you, it's the abusers. What have you done to curb the abuse? Have you put on your motorcycle gear and represented your fellow cyclists at city council meetings, to voice you disapproval of cycles with loud pipes, and supported anti-noise ordinances that would reduce or stop the abusers, in order to protect the rights of all the rest of you? Your voice would carry a lot more weight than mine.
Nope, I don't support most of the noise ordinances. I moved to a county, outside city limits so I don't have the excessive control. I don't ride bikes anymore. I never had the super loud ones either, not my cup of tea.

Have all the noise ordinances you want, and people will still violate them. electric cutouts are dirt cheap and you can silence a motor quick to avoid the law.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:39 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,093 times
You can debate and quote laws all day long.
How about just being courteous to your neighbors? Have we all gone so egocentric and so self absorbed that you will do just simply because you can? For real?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Conversely, why should everyone else have to put up with the annoying racket just because you like to make an annoying racket? At least lawn mowers and weed wackers have a more useful purpose.

I have absolutely no desire to do the same thing to a bike as you.
This is my whole point. People just have to deal with people. Everybody is different, has different likes, dislikes, etc. We all have to coexist. Let the loud pipe go, but go after the punks that look at you and rev to **** you off. Those are what we dont need. But, sometimes, you are going to hear loud exhaust. Exhaust cutouts will take care of avoiding the law, but will allow a punk just to open up right next to you and blast away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles