Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 06:47 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times

Advertisements

Am really interested in wanting to get into boating. I live in Central CA and there are several bodies of suitable water all within a 90 min drive of me (e.g. Kings River, Lake Kaweah, Lake Success, Pine Flat, etc.)

Now I'll be the first to admit that I have no real boating experience to speak of save for having rented lake "party boats" a handful of times. So I know I need to start somewhere and that's why I'm turning to here for some tips and guidance.

I don't want anything super big or super fancy. In fact, I really, REALLY had my eye on a Sea-Doo Speedster 150. That is, until I found out that Bomb-A-Deer exited that sector. It was what I thought perfect for someone like me who wants something more than just a jet ski, but doesn't want or need a huge 20+ footer. It was a boat-even if in miniature. It is just the wife and I (no children) and maybe a couple friends at a time. Preliminary research I did on the vessel suggested that it wasn't all that difficult or expensive to maintain. And it was in my price range. The wife should be able to tow it with her CRV. We'd only need to have a hitch installed.

Now with that no longer being an option, what can you suggest that might be comparable? I'm still scouring the local online ads such as Craigslist and BoatTrader but am reluctant to make a move because I'm concerned about the availability of spare parts. Something similar in size, shape, performance, and yes: must be a jet. I won't even consider buying anything with a propeller.

Now I think I've done my homework and tried to think this through. I know that I can't just look at the initial purchase price of the boat; there'd be luxury taxes, insurance, registration, etc to look at. I'd also need to concrete the side of my house (something I'm wanting to do anyway) and buy or build a canopy for it so it's not exposed to the elements. What else should I know? Again, this is why I'm asking.

Would a good used one-if I can find one-still be a fair and reasonable option and will parts still be around for the forseeable future? Or should I look at something different? If so, what is in that class that would be affordable (my budget is up to 25k), reliable, easy and inexpensive to operate and maintain, and so forth?

I turn 40 in a couple months. Is this still a worthwhile venture (I really dig water sports and want to get more into them) or should I just chalk it up as a pipe dream and go out and buy a sports car and/or find a 25 year old girlfriend instead?

All constructive and honest feedback welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Get a small outboard powered Boston Whaler type boat if you must own. I think it would cost less overall to rent a boat for a few times so you can learn what you want before spending the money for a boat, trailer, motor and car to tow the rig.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Sounds like your looking for a runabout...
One question though, why a jet? Props are more efficient.
If you get an I/O with a mercruiser (Mercury) outdrive, you will most likely end up with a Chevrolet engine.. ( Parts forever)

Insurance is less that 300 a year, registration is $10.00 every 2 years, you also have to register the trailer. Ca. Has permenent trailer license but you still pay around 60 every 5 years...

Please learn how to back a trailer before going to the ramp, and have your boat ready when you get in line to launch...

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Am really interested in wanting to get into boating. I live in Central CA and there are several bodies of suitable water all within a 90 min drive of me (e.g. Kings River, Lake Kaweah, Lake Success, Pine Flat, etc.)

Now I'll be the first to admit that I have no real boating experience to speak of save for having rented lake "party boats" a handful of times. So I know I need to start somewhere and that's why I'm turning to here for some tips and guidance.

I don't want anything super big or super fancy. In fact, I really, REALLY had my eye on a Sea-Doo Speedster 150. That is, until I found out that Bomb-A-Deer exited that sector. It was what I thought perfect for someone like me who wants something more than just a jet ski, but doesn't want or need a huge 20+ footer. It was a boat-even if in miniature. It is just the wife and I (no children) and maybe a couple friends at a time. Preliminary research I did on the vessel suggested that it wasn't all that difficult or expensive to maintain. And it was in my price range. The wife should be able to tow it with her CRV. We'd only need to have a hitch installed.

Now with that no longer being an option, what can you suggest that might be comparable? I'm still scouring the local online ads such as Craigslist and BoatTrader but am reluctant to make a move because I'm concerned about the availability of spare parts. Something similar in size, shape, performance, and yes: must be a jet. I won't even consider buying anything with a propeller.

Now I think I've done my homework and tried to think this through. I know that I can't just look at the initial purchase price of the boat; there'd be luxury taxes, insurance, registration, etc to look at. I'd also need to concrete the side of my house (something I'm wanting to do anyway) and buy or build a canopy for it so it's not exposed to the elements. What else should I know? Again, this is why I'm asking.

Would a good used one-if I can find one-still be a fair and reasonable option and will parts still be around for the forseeable future? Or should I look at something different? If so, what is in that class that would be affordable (my budget is up to 25k), reliable, easy and inexpensive to operate and maintain, and so forth?

I turn 40 in a couple months. Is this still a worthwhile venture (I really dig water sports and want to get more into them) or should I just chalk it up as a pipe dream and go out and buy a sports car and/or find a 25 year old girlfriend instead?

All constructive and honest feedback welcome.
Why so pro-jet/anti-prop?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:28 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,109,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Sounds like your looking for a runabout...
One question though, why a jet? Props are more efficient.
If you get an I/O with a mercruiser (Mercury) outdrive, you will most likely end up with a Chevrolet engine.. ( Parts forever)
^This. My dad had three boats, always with a Mercruiser I/O. We traveled a lot all over the midwest and south with it. Anytime he needed parts, it didn't matter which backwoods town we were in, he found them within a day or two.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The best starter boat is the one you rent. The best boat you could ever own is the one you rent.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,331,765 times
The reasons I prefer jet versus prop are 1) a jet can ride in more shallow water. I've heard that the -150 I wanted can run at speed in as little as five feet of water. Not sure how true or not that particular stat is, but regardless. I like the ability to coast up to shore without risking damage to the prop. 2) props scare me. even if you are trying to be careful, you even brush up against it such as when diving off the back end, you can really carve yourself up good. And 3) simple personal preference.

Several people have suggested renting and part of me tends to agree. But still, I'd like to still consider buying something.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
5 ft is pretty deep, I run the California Delta at depths of 2 ft with a prop on my bassboats all the time with no worries...
But as you say personal preference..
Might be harder to find a runabout with a jet outdrive though...
I'd buy a used boat to start with, keep it a few years and if you find you use it enough to justify buying a new one go for it.. You can get a decent used runabout for around 5K..
25K will buy you a new entry level runabout...
My boat goes out 30 times a year or more, so some people do use them..

Old 07-19-2013, 09:56 AM

64 posts, read 133,914 times
The jet preference throws me for a loop. I would really re-consider this requirement. This will open up many more possibilities for used boats.

Besides the drag race type jet boats, Yamahas and Sea-doos are the only ones I'm familiar with. They're all pretty much the same IMO. The shallow water advantage is a non issue unless you plan on running rocky shallow rivers (not advisable in a fiberglass boat). The props on all direct/vdrive boats are tucked underneath the boat. You wouldn't come in contact with it while swimming. Outboard boats do have the prop exposed but common sense would tell you not to get close if the motor is running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles