Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

I've finally gotten my license and actively looking for a starter bike. I was initially interested in a Rebel but found out it has less horsepower than the Kawasaki Eliminator I trained on. I didn't dislike the Eliminator but of course it was old, beat up and shifting gears was horrible. I barely knew whether or not I was in neutral.

I saw a Yamaha Virago (these are all used btw), sat on it, was comfortable but since I'm so new and nervous about riding someone's bike (particularly in front of them), I've let my husband, a more experienced rider and who currently rides a HD Sportster 1200cc, test it out for me. He said the Rebel felt like a toy and the Virago was a bit better, although the one he tested also had a bad gear box. He test drove a Ninja and said I'd be most comfortable on that, although I won't be completely upright which is what I was looking for. I sat on it and of course, it wasn't as comfortable as the Rebel or Virago to me, but I was able to get my feet flat on the ground, which was important to me (I'm 5'2", 5'4" with motorcycle boots on). So I've been searching for Ninjas but I'm having second thoughts. Will I be able to learn cornering better on a Ninja or an upright? All of the basics or will the Ninja 250 put me at a disadvantage? Should I just get a Rebel just to get comfortable and then trade it in for a Ninja 500 or some other bike? I know my husband wants me to have confidence and have the bike last a little longer for me in the learning stage vs. a Rebel which he says is outright "anemic" (his word) and definitely could never be taken on a highway (which is a long way away in my future).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 02:06 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
If you aren't comfortable in a lean, then I wouldn't even consider a Ninja and go with a bike with a more upright position.

You can get a sort of in between bike too....like a naked sport bike similar to a Triumph Speed Triple (just an example of the type of bike...not a suggestion).

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Before you lay your money down on a bike be sure to check what that particular bike will cost in yearly insurance premiums, i have heard that some novice riders on sport bikes can pay amounts of $2000 or more.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
If you were talking about ANY "Ninja" other than the 250 or 500, then the answer would be that it's a terrible bike for a new rider. But since those 2 bikes are Actually "UJM"/Universal Japanese Motorcycles with a sporty look to them, they're actually quite good for new riders. I'm a huge fan of the Ninja 250 (the 1988~2007 models, absolutely Hated the 2008 and my wife said it was taller), we've had one in the garage continuously since Feb 2003.

But it doesn't sound like you're sold on the bike, so I'd like to offer some other suggestions. Here's an older list that's targeted towards the inseam challenged:

SBL

Since it seems you're more interested in the cruiser style bikes, the Suzuki 650 Savage/S40 is a very specific bike to watch for since it has a Very low seat height, weight and More than enough power for freeway use (the bottom line there IMHO, is 20hp at the rear wheel). But look through the list and check out the others. The few models that are in there with in-line 4 cylinder engines tend to be a little harder for a new rider to handle. My wife has tried lots of them and her clear favorite has been the Ninja 250, though there's probably some bias since I'm not into cruisers.

As for expanding your skills, you're at a level where any bike will provide you with lots of ability to grow. Just find something you're comfortable on and you like, don't worry about the rest right now. Just for academic discussion and speaking Generally, a dual-sport is the easiest to ride because of the upright "sit up and beg" riding position and WIDE handlebars (lots of leverage for steering). Next in line are the "standards", they tend to have just a hint of forward lean and slightly narrower bars. Next would be the cruisers, they benefit from a low center of gravity and thus feel more "planted" but have much more relaxed steering geometry (which also adds to straight line stability) that mean they're slightly harder to turn. And sportbikes are the worst as they have a High center of gravity with very limited turning and twitchy handling (the key traits that make them so good at pushing the limits).

If you do decide to go down the Ninja 250 path, we'd love to have you over in our community here: Ninja250 Riders Club :: Index ~ and even if you don't feel like being social, we have a huge Wiki with tons of info on the bike. The section that'll appeal to you most right now is our New Rider section: New Riders - Ninja250Wiki

Good luck and make sure you pick the best choice for You. It took me a long time to learn that with my wife (we went through 4 other bikes that *I* thought would be ideal for her before she told me to buy the Ninja 250 and was happy... IS happy.)

Old 07-24-2013, 02:35 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
I'm confused by your terminology. 'Upright' = mini-cruiser? Isn't that what a Rebel and a Virago are, smallish cruiser-style bikes?

Is your desire to sit more upright a comfort thing (as in it physically pains you to be stooped over), or is it more of a preference? I only ask because, while a Ninja (250) is considered more of a 'sportbike' than the others you listed, they're generally known for having a very neutral seating position, meaning you sit straight up with your legs underneath you (much like you would sit in a regular chair or on a bench). If you found it physically uncomfortable, then yes, by all means find a different bike, or at least look into some type of handlebar riser that would allow you to sit more upright. However, if it's a 'preference' thing, maybe give the Ninja another shot. I say this because I'm a big fan of learner bikes having a more neutral riding position. Cruiser-style bikes where your feet are out in front don't give you as much sense of being in control (my $.02), and sportbikes are too crampt up and purpose-built for a novice (never mind the power).

And while I understand your husband's desire for your first bike to be something you don't 'outgrow' any time soon, the thing to keep in mind is that 'learner bikes' tend to sell cheap and hold value well. You could probably buy a Ninja cheap, ride it for a while, and when you feel comfortable moving up, sell it for little to no money lost. Many, many people have done this with great results.

Biggest thing, though, is for you to feel comfortable on the bike. Some of that just takes time, but if the whole time you're riding all you think about is 'this is too big/small/heavy/bulky/painful for me to ride', it's just going to make for a miserable experience.

Mike

Old 07-24-2013, 03:31 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
That's BS that the Rebel or Virago can't go on the highway. I used to take my TW200 on the interstates, as well as the KLX250SF. Unfortunately both those bikes were involuntarily donated to gentlemen of the Bronx, but during my ownership I took both on the interstate, and I weigh over 200lbs.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Before you lay your money down on a bike be sure to check what that particular bike will cost in yearly insurance premiums, i have heard that some novice riders on sport bikes can pay amounts of $2000 or more.
And some insurance companies won't touch them.

I haven't seen a post discussing "new vs used." As a beginner, that is something to consider. I have no opinion either way; never dropped a bike in 15 years of riding (and it's something I don't have to worry about, having a sidecar now - I just have to worry about flying the thing on a hard right ); but some caution new riders that if they worry about dropping their bike in the first seasons of riding, go used.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
She mentioned she was looking used. I never even question because it never occurs to me, there's no way I'd EVER buy a new motorcycle. Decades of experience have shown me that I can have as much (and usually more) fun on a $1000 motorcycle than on a $10,000 motorcycle.

It is good to check on insurance, but fear not with the little 250... I don't think I've paid over $100/year for maximum liability and comprehensive in 10 years and 6 different states with one. Even the 2008 I bought in fall 2008 (and sold spring of 2009) was right at $100.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,018,326 times
If you like the look of the rebel, i'd suggest searching out an older model (up till 1986). Look for a CMX450 or Rebel 450. Bigger engine than the little 250, more highway prowess, and six gears (if memory serves me right). $1200 should buy you a nice example if you can find one, they're a bit rare. They share the same engine with the Honda CM450T and Nighthawk 450, and a similar engine to the old Honda 400 Twin.

When I graduated college in 2005 I purchased a 79' Honda CM400T from a friend. Bike had 7.5k miles on it, and looked ROUGH! But, it was mine...and my first bike. I gave her a good tune up, changed the fluids, replaced some worn parts, and got her painted...total investment in the bike was about $1,000 including the purchase price, and I sold it for more than that after 3 years of riding it. During those three years I only put about 9,000 miles on it, and it was an absolute dream. Would ride it on the interstate 50 miles one way to visit my (then girlfriend) wife, and the bike was very happy at 70-75 mph, but 80 mph + was pushing on it.

The bike is incredibly simple to maintain, and very confidence inspiring.

There's nothing wrong with the Ninja 250, I think it's a fantastic bike as well and I know many shorter ladies who love them. They're not really "sport-bikes" but there are plenty of folks who might disagree...and they do have a great reputation on the race track. The body style of the 2007 and earlier models was a bit dated for my taste (I think the 08+ look fantastic)...but the seating position should be rather neutral, without the cruiser-ish styling you'll get on the viargo or rebel.

Honestly, the Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 will be a great bike for a new rider to get comfortable on, and gain some experience before moving onto whatever other bikes tickle your fancy...just make sure you're in control of the situation, there's no reason to ditch a ninja 250 for a larger displacement bike just because you're getting pressured...oddly, as a guy who's gone started on a 400, then owned two 650's, a 750, and now a 1000....I really miss one of the 650's, and the fun I had on the 400 the most!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I suggest checking out a big scooter like my Burgman 650. Not having to shift and with the rear brake on the left handlebar learning to ride is made much easier. You can spend more attention to traffic and the road while the bike takes care of the gears and stopping. BTW - this thing is not slow. It just looks slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles