U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:17 PM

386 posts, read 1,277,423 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering getting a scooter (Vespa type). My husband is dead set against the idea, he keeps saying I will kill myself
Anyone have any experience with them? I have been looking at the low end Yamahas. I don't want to make a huge investment since this is all new.
I just plan to use around town (Los Angeles). I don't want to get on freeways, probably no more than a 10 mile radius of home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM

25,220 posts, read 31,422,705 times
Hi, I own a 2005 Yamaha 400cc Majesty Scooter that gets up to 60 miles per gallon.

2008 Yamaha Majesty Home, information, info

John

Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 PM

19,677 posts, read 51,247,758 times
Check out the Yamaha Zuma. I rode them a few times and, heh heh, actually enjoyed it.

**waiting for lightning to strike me at any moment**

It cost less than $3 to fill the tank, and we rode them for hours on end and didnt even use 1/2 a tank. Top speed was almost 50 mph, and it was actually quite comfortable. Theyre effortlessly easy to ride and are quite fun.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM

4,225 posts, read 10,281,943 times
I think that's a cool idea as long as you're staying off highways and sticking to "quiet" roads. It is dangerous though. I visited my cousin and Taiwan a few years back and she took me in her scooter EVERYWHERE, including the hwy. I mostly grabbed on to her digging my nails into her skin and closed my eyes the whole time!! Traffic is of course different here than it is in other countries so I think you should be OK ... but I understand your husband's concern!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 PM

386 posts, read 1,277,423 times
Wow, the Majesty is a big luxury ride! I am thinking Zuma or Vino Classic. Being in LA I will certainly be in traffic. How do scooters compare to motorcycles? My husband has had a motorcycle and says if I must have something like this he would prefer the motorcycle as he feels it is safer.
I think the scooter seems more comfortable and I have heard they are easier to handle.
Thanks for you input!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:18 PM

Scooters have automatic transmissions and motorcycles don't.

John

Old 11-12-2007, 10:54 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,711,987 times
I have ridden a scooter for 1 1/2 years and done about 4,000 miles riding. My current ride is a Honda Reflex (250) and a Vino 125. The Reflex tops out at about 85 mph and gets about 65-80 mpg, the Vino tops out at about 50-55 mph and gets about 65 - 90 mpg. I've done some expressway riding and as long as it isn't busy, it is actually less nerve wracking that riding streets. I also occasionally ride my dad's Honda Rebel motorcycle just to top up the battery when he's gone (he works in DC, lives in Orlando, rides not all that often), or for a change of pace.

The Zuma is good for roads under 40-45 miles per hour and has very good brakes and suspension, but is a two stroke and "only" gets about 55-75 miles per gallon- the throttle has a really short throw, too (so it is mostly either on or off, not really like a car's throttle). Vino Classic is also OK but the 4-stroke engine is not as spirited and the suspension is not as competent. The Vino 125 is another good choice and has alot of get-up-and-go and is a 4-stroke. The Yamaha C3 has been getting good reviews, tops out about 40-43 mph, and it gets about 120 miles per gallon and is fuel injected (it doesn't carry alot unless you add a topcase, though)

Vespas and Piaggio's are all good. So are Honda's. I started out on a Metropolitan but I feel the suspension is a little too soft and it has some handling issues, it wouldn't be my first choice as a beginner ride; the suspension is very soft and the handling is very touchy. Still, with a little care it might make a good beginner ride. It also gets amazing fuel economy at about 100 - 110 miles per gallon. The Elite 80 is an older model still being made and IMO is outdated: unless you buy used it isn't worth it.

I would buy used if you can, you save alot of money. You might want to check out urbanscootin.com Honda Metropolitan Scooter :: Index.

I believe in California you need some kind of license or endorsement. It definitely is risky, which is why you should wear a good helmet (I would recommend a modular flipup or full face helmet), boots (not shoes), heavy pants (jean are a minimum, textile or leather is better), motorcycle gloves, and a leather or heavy textile (motorcycle) jacket. You should also take a motorcycle safety class, even if you have to learn to ride a motorcycle in the process (it won't hurt to know how, and it isn't that hard). I don't necessarily think a motorcycle is safer than a scooter- especially on cruisers the braking tends to be a bit more tricky than on a scooter since you often have a foot pedal and more weight (and on smaller motorcycles, softer brakes). On either machine, it is more demanding than riding a car and requires alot of skills to do with even a modicum of safety- if you are a bad car driver you won't make a good rider. You have to be very good at reading traffic and always expecting the unexpected.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:40 AM

3,531 posts, read 891,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Scooters have automatic transmissions and motorcycles don't.

John
Modern ones do [hairdryers ] I had original 60s Vespas in the 70s and they were proper,,,,Looking at taking on a project at the moment to rebuild a 60s model,,Not cheap, not only in cash but time,,But will be worth it in the end,,

Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 AM

Here is a site for information on Yamaha Majestys.

MajestyUSA: Yamaha Majesty Enthusiasts Forum and website.

John

Old 05-27-2010, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,421 times
Talking Scooter momma

Hi, my name is Jackie and hopefully I can give you some insight. This June I will have had my scooter for 1 year and i can honestly tell you that i dont want a car again. I choose a 49cc so i wouldnt have to get the special license, and the fact that it was a smaller version made me feel better, since i also didnt want to kill myself. These r great starters for women. What i love the most is NO GEARS!!!, just flip a swith and go. What i save in money is amazing. I mean literally $440.00 a month I save with no car. That would be for Insurance and gas. Never mind if i go farther that would mean more money monthly. But i can get to and from work for a month for all of $12.00 IN GAS. I have a Keeway Flash and it handles great. Now if you are a lousy car driver then maybe a scooter would not be a good fit, you must be an alert person because as always there are crazy drivers out there. But with time the scooter driving becomes second hand like riding a bike. Perhaps renting one and showing your husband that you can handle the bike then going over all the money you'll be saving, he might want to get one too.
P.S. Selling mine now, getting a bigger and faster version. I'm ready. Scooter Lover Forever
Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I am seriously considering getting a scooter (Vespa type). My husband is dead set against the idea, he keeps saying I will kill myself
Anyone have any experience with them? I have been looking at the low end Yamahas. I don't want to make a huge investment since this is all new.
I just plan to use around town (Los Angeles). I don't want to get on freeways, probably no more than a 10 mile radius of home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles