Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times

Advertisements

Car drivers have benefitted from a third brake light for decades. Mounted close to eye level in the rear window, these extra brake lights are especially visible in close traffic when taillights are harder to see. Now, a similar safety feature is available for motorcycle riders.

The Whistler WHL-80 Helmet Safety Light combines a bright, self-adhesive eight-LED display that mounts to any helmet, and a wireless transmitter connected to the motorcycles wiring.

Helmet-mounted brake light makes motorcycle riders more visible | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,165,450 times
Great idea, however the larger issue with motorcyclists is that we don't always use our brakes because, in a lot of instancs, engine braking gives us all the deceleration we need. The brakes light therefore never lights up, even though we are decelerating at a rate that folks behind us need to be aware of. There are products out there that are meant to solve this issue, though, such as this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cle-visibility

Mike

Old 07-15-2014, 07:37 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,251,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Great idea, however the larger issue with motorcyclists is that we don't always use our brakes because, in a lot of instancs, engine braking gives us all the deceleration we need. The brakes light therefore never lights up, even though we are decelerating at a rate that folks behind us need to be aware of. There are products out there that are meant to solve this issue, though, such as this one:

Mike

Sounds like the Voevodsky Cyberlight.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,408,867 times
The "fix" for that whiteboyslo, is to simply tap the front or rear brake enough to turn on the brake light. It is OUR responsibility, as motorcyclists, to do everything within our power to mitigate risks. Slowing without an indication of slowing is flat out dangerous, doesn't matter if you're in a cage or on a bike (yes, I engine brake in my manual car too... probably why I have the original brake pads with 250k miles on the car and lots left to use).

I got in the habit while leading other, less experienced, riders around in a sporting fashion. I follow 'The Pace' and don't tend to use brakes, but I know that those following me needed a visual que that a corner was tighter than expected so I'd simply click on and off the brake light. It's really pretty easy to get Just the light to come on, the switch (at least for the front brake) has an audible click and recognizable feel. I use the same process LOTS when in traffic... and still, all of my accidents have been being hit from behind.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,165,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
The "fix" for that whiteboyslo, is to simply tap the front or rear brake enough to turn on the brake light. It is OUR responsibility, as motorcyclists, to do everything within our power to mitigate risks. Slowing without an indication of slowing is flat out dangerous, doesn't matter if you're in a cage or on a bike
Yes, I'm aware and don't disagree. However, my point was that the light shown in the OP only works if the rider chooses to use the brake and that, in the interest of keeping the biker as safe as possible, there are other products out there that cover that 'what if'. It's be neat to see the helmet idea and the 'motion-activated' idea put together to ensure the best coverage, though a little bit of head-banging could likely lead to 'false calls'.

Mike

Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,830,782 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkBQ4xUHAUA

Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,694,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

Mike
Though this is true, I would do light breaking out of safety. I want some bright ass light telling the car behind me that I am breaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles