Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times

Advertisements

A couple that we know have a small collection of bikes in the garage. Back in 2008 they bought a brand new Sportster 1200 that was a 105 Year anniversary edition bike. It looks amazing, clean, like it just came out of the showroom. It has been stored in there garage in a mild climate area. The bike has less than 400 miles on it. This is a Harley Davidson Sporster Low rider, numbered anniversary edition bike that looks the same way it did when it came off the assembly line.

Problems so far: It needs a new battery which they are going to replace if and when they find a buyer.

Potential problems: No signs of any, but what would you look for in a bike that has sat for 6 years?

Blue book and NADA price guide have this bike in the condition it is in I think I checked between $7,600 and $10,000. The disclaimer being that it is hard to check with some brands of bikes because of changes that the owners may make. The only additions that this bike has is a matching set of leather saddle bags that were made for this specific bike, having orange flame accents sown into the black leather saddle bags. It matches the orange pinstiping on the bike. Also with the age it was hard to determine mileage because it is still at the break in period in miles.

Questions I have are what would you need to do to get it road worthy? A friend mentioned that the seals could have an issue. Front fork oil problems. It is belt drive could the belt have an issue? The belt looks new from what I can tell anyway.

Anuthing to look at before I make an offer?

They are looking for $7,000 for this bike and throwing in the saddle bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 11:27 AM

11,550 posts, read 53,049,707 times
Essentially, it's still a brand new bike.

There may be some deterioration/dry rotting of rubber components, such as tires and seals. Take a close look at what you can see externally. As far as engine and fork seals, you can't know unless you operate the bike. If they appear to hold oil when you ride it, then consider them OK to run for now; "on condition" replacement for service life may yet have many years and miles left in these items.

Given the age, you may want to do a full fluid service on the bike ... engine, trans, forks. A new battery is a trivial item to replace. The drive belt is what it is; run it until it shows signs of fatigue/slippage.

If you like the bike (and personally, I don't like these bikes at all ... they don't fit my riding needs) and the price seems OK to you in comparison to other bikes that interest you ... then make what you think is a decent offer. Keep in mind that the price guide books don't buy bikes, buyers do when they reach an agreement with a seller. If you simply want to ride a late model 1200 Sportster, there are much better deals to be had in the marketplace even when there are nominal miles on the bike; I've seen these crop up from time to time a few years old for much less money with only a couple thousand miles on the bike. Remember that what you're buying with a used machine is the remaining service life of the bike. The difference between a clean low miles used bike and this one with only 300 miles is mostly academic.

There's no premium for collectability in these bikes because it's an anniversary edition; H-D does a great job of marketing something as "special" when it has nothing but a little different paint job or combinations of "standard" accessories. H-D's bread and butter profit margin is the "accessories" to their bikes which run up the final tab out the door to "customize" a bike.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:46 PM

Sunsprit,

Great insight on your part. Thank you for your comments.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:47 PM

4,784 posts, read 10,571,640 times
Good post above from sunspirit...
I would add:
-the tires, though full of newish tread, are near the end of their shelf life for anything other than a spin, imo. And unless the bike has been 'suspended' there may be some flat spotting or sidewall spotting due to typical HD kickstand lean.
-fluids all around, including brake fluid.
-gas in it, and the fuel line may be suspect.
-the belt should be fine, even over that time, with no stress on it as in sitting.
-not collectible by any stretch other than what some owner may be endeared to.
-a bit pricey, even if it is pristine.
-if/when you start it up for a test ride, (wouldn't buy it without one), let it idle at idle speed for a couple mins and slowly increase rpms. That motor has been sitting and you are hoping the internals still have a slight coating on them.
If the owner says he has started it a few times or spun it around the block, that wear is harder than a hard run across town, imo.
-batt replacement is cake, but grabbing one from a dlr or via the net usually is a batt that needs a very low amp maintenance charge, say 24 hrs, to get it back to full tilt boogie, slowly.
-Is that the model that is sort of light root beer? Not my pick, but everyone has their own bag.
-still overpriced, imo.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 08-27-2014, 04:21 PM

I started to look around the web to see what similar bikes were selling for and found that I could probably get one in the $5,000 range that are also low mileage bikes but that have at least been ridden a bit more. I am concerned about it sitting so long. A director here who is also a collector and rider informed me that he wouldn't pay more than $3,500 because after doing everything that needs to be done, draining the fluids, checking over the bike, changing the tires, that I would be approaching the value of what the bike is probably valued at. Also one recently sold at one of the local HD dealerships, same exact model bike, for the $7,000 price tag (That is where they got their number from) I am thinking though that the retail location bike had been treated to all new fluids and rubber. Thinking I will offer less and see what happens. I can always afford to say no.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:02 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,381,478 times
That sounds like the smart conclusion IMHO... There's a Lot of work that goes into getting a bike reliable again after it sits for some time, though it's not much different for 2 years or 20 (assuming same storage conditions). Unless you were Really smitten with that specific bike, sounds like it's a pass. Though, there Will be some sucker out there who won't ask and will spend the money. I love those people.. they really do give me a comfortable life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles