Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,138,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't understand that crap from a lot of states in snow country. We spend thousands on every vehicle for government mandated safety crap. Air bags, anti-lock brakes, crash tests, impact protection and soon, government mandated stability control systems and freekin' backup cameras. But none of those do a damn thing for you on ice. Yet one simple thing that can do more than all of them combined to save lives when roads are bad, are outlawed by government. Why? Because it costs a few bucks more to maintain roads. So we can pay thousands per vehicle on safety crap in order to "save one life". But when it means a little more work for the government, lives don't matter. Bullchit.
"a little more work"...more like our already stressed roads would be ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:30 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
I ride my TaoTao scooter all winter in Iowa except when it's actively raining or there is a sheet of ice on the roads. It will carry 2 bags of groceries and Ive carried 100# of bagged plaster on it.
I've rode to/from work and on errants when it was 0º you just have to dress with a down parka and all, it also helps to have a windshield as I do.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I rode through 10yrs of winters in Colorado. (20+ mile commute)
Raced / chased the cows, rabbits, and coyotes off-road for many more yrs than that.

Don't plan to repeat that era.

My Diesel Rabbit has heat and wipers and gets as good of mileage as I ever got in the winter on my bikes.

About as safe too...... I'm insured
But apparently no 'smarter'...

Old 12-26-2014, 08:55 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Southern MN here. We used to ride up until about the end of November and be out again around the second week in March. Got all the right gear but we're retired now and I figure I've paid my dues. DH will ride in colder weather than I will, still.

I have a girlfriend my age whose only means of transportation is a bike and she's ridden it from central Florida to Canada in the wintertime more than once. Electric everything. Crazy iron butt girl!

Another friend rode a hardtail all winter for years. He's a little younger than us but can't ride at all anymore his back is so messed up with arthritis.

Around about February I start getting the fever and then it's wait, wait, wait.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:48 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I live in Northern Wyoming. My primary transportation is a 400 Rancher AT 4 wheeler. I ride it year round and its 21 mikes, one way, to town. This morning it was 14 below zero and I spent about 3 hours on it, blading snow.

My other vehicle is a Ford, F250, with a 3208 Cat diesel, Borg Warner T-19 trans, Borg Warner Transfer Case, Dana 70 front and back with blocked posi front and back, so when I lock her in, I have all , 35 inch tires pulling.

But still use the 4 wheeler. I put less than 750 miles on the Ford, last year. Every mile I put on the 4 wheeler has my dog riding on the tool box on back. She's a registered service dog so she's with me 10% of the time. If you look at my profile, there are pictures.

I have foul weather clothes for inclement weather, from rain suits to insulated Carharts. Darn 4 wheeler is stubborn starting when it gets down to about 15 below zero, so I can't ride it when it gets cold.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,439 times
52 degrees here today in PA and I got out for a 60 mile ride. What a great winter blues chaser!

Old 12-27-2014, 06:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
I live in San Diego and tough it out the whole year long. Sometimes it gets down to the 50s or low 60s and you really have to bundle up.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I live in San Diego and tough it out the whole year long. Sometimes it gets down to the 50s or low 60s and you really have to bundle up.
My brother lives in Santee and gives me a bad time about, "we got down in the 50° range last night and thought about breaking out the snow blower.", see you hit a high of. 12below zero.". Want to borrow my gloves?", hahaha

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Missed riding so badly that yesterday, when it actually got up to 39 degrees in the after noon I just had to break out my bike. That kind of warmth here in Northern Utah was just to good to pass up. Especially considering it is supposed to snow on Saturday.

I found that my missing it was so justified and enjoyed it (except for the occasional patches of ice) but figure that winter has just started here with limited riding until about the end of March. Just have to suck it up and wait, I guess.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:06 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Given a large enough pool of riders...like this forum...interesting the responses. Spiked tires, my my.

Seattle is sort of an intermediate: some years, it snows like heck. Usually not for long, though, and it seldom sticks more than a few days. Others, not a bit, and you can ride occasionally during the winter. Or more than occasoinally, if you're hard-core enough.

Ice can be dodgy, and deceptive, especially here when there usually isn't sno I see riders on the roads near-freezing, and with all the winter rain here one never knows where there may be ice. Ice is a bad thing even when you "think" it may be nice (warms up to, say, 40F).

The other day I rode to work in 38F, and the Ducati helpfully reminded me with a snowflake icon and "Ice" on the display. I found that amusing. It had been dry a few days and I wasn't super-worried. I have heated gloves, and vest, from Gerbing that work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Motorcycles, Scooters, ATVs, Boats, Watercrafts, Snowmobiles